Thorpe Park Resort - The Future

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Mattia

[quote=""Crofty""]
How about they flatten the place and bring in some travelling rides and burger vans too? :lol:

:D :D[/quote]

LOL! I love it, so true!

But in all seriousness, I knew I'd be shot for what I said. But Thorpe just seems to be swinging that way so so much with their new identity and branding. It makes sense to go forward with this view. Thorpe's target audience are young teenagers. Every time I'm in Colossus' queueline some teenager makes a comment about how much they hate the music and then gets their phone out. Now don't get me wrong, I love the thorpe music. But some places like the Dome, Entrance, Amity Radio, Food outlets and smaller rides (a la depth charge, which did originally play pop music) wouldn't go a miss with un-themed music. Keep SAW, Colossus, Nemesis Inferno etc as they need their own theme and self-identity.

I just feel Thorpe's audience and indeed new image would benefit from more chart-music - let's face it, the dome medley of thorpe/alton music really doesn't work at all! It's all about their image and if they can deal with sex in bushes, then I'm sure they can deal with chart music. A majority of their target market really couldn't care less about themed music

God, I hope i'm making myself clear! But basically, keep themed music for the major rides and areas and those which have a distinct theme. But, for the Dome, Entrance, Amity Radio etc give it less specific and more...generic.
John

[quote=""Mattia""]I love the thorpe music. But some places like the Dome, Entrance, Amity Radio, Food outlets and smaller rides (a la depth charge, which did originally play pop music) wouldn't go a miss with un-themed music. Keep SAW, Colossus, Nemesis Inferno etc as they need their own theme and self-identity.[/quote]
Talking of ride audio, inferno has new music in the station this year, though the old audio still plays in the queue.

I don't think its as catchy as the old track (in fact I can't really remember it), but its alright. My only complaint is that they're still not usilising the bass cannons to their full potential.
Dormiens-Dave

I'm not going to give a blow by blow on Saw Alive but my assessment of the attraction... not the best, the first time around was definately lacklustre, the second time with some promting we got a decent ride, the themeing is good for a scare maze but the scares just seemed few and far between.

The attraction also lacks a decent finale which is a real shame as you leave a scene much like any of the others and enter the photo-point, which really isn't the best way to end a scare maze.
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

I thought Saw Alive was very average. The fact it had no queue come 4pm really said it all.
Fiyero

[quote=""Mattia""]Thorpe was playing chart music outside it's entrance today. You know, I've always thought, if there was one theme park in the UK that would suit chart muisc/non-themed music - it would be Thorpe. [/quote]
I noticed the music when my brother and I were leaving. He noticed straight away that it was the uncensored version, I noticed as thy repeatedly sung something along the lines of "It's a party Motherf**ker" :shock:

I haven't been to Thorpe Park in a while but was overall impressed, my brother was very impressed by how quiet it was (he last went at Halloween). I didn't bother with Saw Alive but loved Saw the ride. From the outside the themeing looked good, and it is great they could have it so close to the ride.

The ride closures was a bit of a joke though. When we got to Saw the ride they weren't letting people on. When we got to Samurai they closed the queue line just after my brother joined it (I skipped that one). Stealth was broken, then open, then definitely broken. Colossus was closed when we got there, X No Way out was closed when we got there. Even KFC was closed! I know most of the rides were open at various times but it all seemed a little crazy at the time.

It sounds like charging for parking starts in May, there were signs everywhere about it but the lady selling tickets knew nothing about it and had to check.
Islander

[quote=""Sam-urai""]All rides were running perfectly except for Stealth but what did you expect![/quote]
Huh :? ? What park were you at?
  • Saw: The Ride was having epic issues in the morning - they were manually shunting the trains around, and from what I heard from a couple of TTF'ers they literally had to push a train onto the traction wheels at the bottom of the chain lift at one point.
  • Samurai was having technical issues when we first got to it - they closed the queue for a while.
  • Stealth was a large fail all day, with only a handful of people getting on it. Not roll-backs, but strange false-starts.
  • Colossus, by the time we got on (using an exit pass issued when we got chucked out the Stealth queue line), was running on around 5/6 of a train. Two trains completely out of action, and four seats on the third train also out of action.
  • Rush was running on only one swing, and that closed early whilst an engineer had a look around.
  • Quantum also seemed to have a small issue, though it was minor.

Although that's all I saw myself, I did overhear one Colossus ride-op talking to someone about how she was getting abuse at one point because Saw: The Ride, X:/NWO and Colossus were all out of action simultaneously (along of course with Stealth, though that's the other side of the park).

So, overall a fairly standard Thorpe opening day...

Edit: In fairness, I make it sound really terrible, but it was alright. Definitely a long way from being a good operation, but meh, it could've been worse.

[quote=""Mattia""]But some places like ... Amity Radio ... wouldn't go a miss with un-themed music.[/quote]
Aw, no, you can't do that! Amity radio is so fantastically original, and damn amusing. Makes queueing for the likes of Stealth much more bearable.

[quote=""Fiyero""]It sounds like charging for parking starts in May, there were signs everywhere about it but the lady selling tickets knew nothing about it and had to check.[/quote]
You can see the lanes set up in the car park, with spaces for the barriers. Bearing in mind all the signage is already there (and there's a hell of a lot of it...), I'm surprised it's not starting from the start of the season...
Stu

Well today was average maybe... load of rides breaking down.. Stealth down for 98% of the day... they had major problems with Saw and Colosus and Samurai... even Inferno was sending around empty trains for a while today... then Rush going down and meh...

Though what did impress me and others today was the lick of paint and extra mini themeing parts they have added around the park... new misters and lights for Inferno... and misters on the Rapids made the tunnel better and new filter/water pumps of water around in collosus's pit was real cool. So they are trying and did make a good impression.

Though im sorry but Saw Alive was just ... poor. The themeing inside is good/above average... the act's make up etc was good also... but it was really just actos in a trap screaming... wooo and? And most of the effects were not working we overherd some staff saying.

We re-visted the Maze later in the day today and joked to the staff member "is it more scary than this morning yet?" staff member replies.. "Pfftt you'll be lucky..".

This year will prob be a good year in terms of ticket sales and visitor numbers because of the Saw brand... though both of those attractions are in need of some TLC / attention to live up to the hype.
John

RE: parking charge. Foundations for the barriers are in, but the barriers/machines aren't fitted yet. They're going in on the stretch of road before the roundabout in the car park itself, presumably so buses etc don't have to pass them. There only appear to be 4 or 5 lanes, so it could prove a real bottleneck at peak times
Mankey

[quote=""Mattia""]But in all seriousness, I knew I'd be shot for what I said. But Thorpe just seems to be swinging that way so so much with their new identity and branding. It makes sense to go forward with this view. Thorpe's target audience are young teenagers. Every time I'm in Colossus' queueline some teenager makes a comment about how much they hate the music and then gets their phone out. Now don't get me wrong, I love the thorpe music. But some places like the Dome, Entrance, Amity Radio, Food outlets and smaller rides (a la depth charge, which did originally play pop music) wouldn't go a miss with un-themed music. Keep SAW, Colossus, Nemesis Inferno etc as they need their own theme and self-identity. [/quote]

I would be so offended if they removed Colossus's music. I love it, I think it sets the mood for the ride perfectly. But EVERYONE I know who's been there (who isn't an enthusiast) always says the same thing! "God that music on that ride drives me insane! It's awful after an hour of queuing"

I just think... do you not care for atmosphere at all?

[quote=""Fiyero""]I noticed the music when my brother and I were leaving. He noticed straight away that it was the uncensored version, I noticed as thy repeatedly sung something along the lines of "It's a party Motherf**ker" [/quote]

"Riverside Mothaf**ker?" (Riverside - Sidney Samson) Not only is that piece uninspiring, boring and a complete shame to the "House" genre... it's also overplayed!

If they were playing that outside the entrance... I have lost all faith in the park! :| You just don't do that!
Back from hibernation!
Andyc Nemesis

Inferno has not got new music in station it was there last season on and off. It should change on dispatch back to the older "tradional one" however that never happened. I thought Thorpe was good yesterday. Stealth was a shame, it seemed to manage to launch two trains and that was it. I managed to get on Rush with no breakdowns, same as Saw and Inferno. We managed 6 times non stop on Inferno as they were running two trains.

Saw Alive i was quite impressed with. I have not seen the films, and i don't attend many mazes however i really enjoyed it, the detail in each room was brill, shame they did not use the upstairs. Only issue for me is the fact its going to be a pay to go on ride which just annoys me. How could they have themed it better? There are loads more places for scars too, and i think it will be a great winner at Fright Nights.

Shame about the music at the start of the day, thorpe will hopefully change that, it did not feel like a theme park with N'Dubz playing. (No offense to them or anyone who likes that music) however, i was not feeling it.

I felt a good day at Thorpe Park, shame Colossus is still as rough as always, and Saw is still not the most pleasant rides, Inferno with the mist was amazing, Rapids good, Rush brill, Slammer excellent if not painful. And the fact you could bring two guests was a plus too.
amcmaster1

Wow just caught up on this topic!

Fantastic to hear about the MTDP and the new coasters. Couple of things spring to mind though there are a few boxes on the map outlined in red with Exper. written on them does anyone know what these mean?

Great to see them bringing boats back on the lake to ship people over to the hotel. Was hoping to see plans for the lake show they have talked about but i doubt it will happen.

Also interesting to see that they have not done anything with Thorpe Farm - do you think that they ever will? I think it could be a good place to convert into like a restaurant and a show as part of evening entertainment for hotel guests?
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean
Spendleb

[quote=""Andyc Nemesis""]Inferno has not got new music in station it was there last season on and off. It should change on dispatch back to the older "tradional one" however that never happened. I thought Thorpe was good yesterday. Stealth was a shame, it seemed to manage to launch two trains and that was it. I managed to get on Rush with no breakdowns, same as Saw and Inferno. We managed 6 times non stop on Inferno as they were running two trains.

Saw Alive i was quite impressed with. I have not seen the films, and i don't attend many mazes however i really enjoyed it, the detail in each room was brill, shame they did not use the upstairs. Only issue for me is the fact its going to be a pay to go on ride which just annoys me. How could they have themed it better? There are loads more places for scars too, and i think it will be a great winner at Fright Nights.

Shame about the music at the start of the day, thorpe will hopefully change that, it did not feel like a theme park with N'Dubz playing. (No offense to them or anyone who likes that music) however, i was not feeling it.

I felt a good day at Thorpe Park, shame Colossus is still as rough as always, and Saw is still not the most pleasant rides, Inferno with the mist was amazing, Rapids good, Rush brill, Slammer excellent if not painful. And the fact you could bring two guests was a plus too.[/quote]

No idea the SAW maze is 'extra', that's ridiculous, theme parks cost enough anyway, hopefully part of the existing fast pass ticket maybe?
Andyc Nemesis

Yeah i have heard its a chargeable thing. I think though it will change to having no actors, as it could be just a walk through, i think it really depends on the volume of people that go on it and want to pay. The whole of the park was dead by 3:30, but i think that was because of the lack of rides left open.
Dormiens-Dave

I think there has been some confusion there as we had heard that the scare maze would be a pay per play attraction early in the day but when we asked the staff on the maze they said that it would be free, i think there may have been some confusion over the fastpasses.

Still not really worth a long wait whether free or not
Fiyero

[quote=""Mankey""]

[quote=""Fiyero""]I noticed the music when my brother and I were leaving. He noticed straight away that it was the uncensored version, I noticed as thy repeatedly sung something along the lines of "It's a party Motherf**ker" [/quote]

"Riverside Mothaf**ker?" (Riverside - Sidney Samson) Not only is that piece uninspiring, boring and a complete shame to the "House" genre... it's also overplayed!

If they were playing that outside the entrance... I have lost all faith in the park! :| You just don't do that![/quote]
That's the song. A lovely ditty isn't it!
Rob L

Saw Alive was a big let down for me, though to be perfectly honest, it's not the biggest surprised in the world. Thorpe do seem to be hyping it as the scariest thing ever, but in reality, the maze has no real scares. The theming is very good, you can't knock them for that, but it takes a lot more than theming to make a scare maze. There were a couple little jump scares, but you weren't going through the maze fearing what may be coming next. The finale was also poor, mainly due to the fact that it wasn't really any different to the rest of the maze, then you just went out to see an "on-ride" photo shop with TV screens. Give me TOTT over Saw Alive any day of the year.

However, Thorpe do seem to have made some improvements around the park. There are quite a few new misters which is great. Inferno's tunnel is a lot better with mist combined with red and orange lights. A few other bits and bobs around the park seem to have been fixed or have been made to look better. Customer service also did seem to have improved, apart from one little thing on Saw at the end of the day.

As for Thorpe and breakdowns, yes, there were issues, did it have a big impact on our day there, nope. The only ride that I'd like to have gone on but couldn't because it was closed was Stealth. Though after hearing that they've been testing it for 3 weeks, it was very disappointing to see it down all day, so that is a bit of a poor effort. Samurai had one small issue that the seemed to resolve fairly quickly, and Saw had some downtime in the morning. Then Colossus did struggle towards the end of the day along with Rush. But all of these rides with the exception of Stealth were open more than they were closed. Thorpe's issues on Sunday were no worse than some of the issues Towers had at the start of February half term, but because Thorpe have their reputation of breaking rides, they are on the receiving end of criticism more, which is fair enough in my opinion. They just need to work on getting rid of their poor reputation in terms of reliability, and they do seem to be heading in the right direction in my opinion.

:)

John G

SAW: Alive was a standard attraction in my eyes. THORPE PARK did very well with the theming inside and the exterior to the attraction, but lacked scares. After my visit on Sunday i left the park with mixed thoughts, however the touching up on theming around the park and the entrance plaza looked great! :)
Chaz

[quote=""Islander""] issues in the morning - they were manually shunting the trains around, and from what I heard from a couple of TTF'ers they literally had to push a train onto the traction wheels at the bottom of the chain lift at one point. In fairness, I make it sound really terrible, but it was alright. Definitely a long way from being a good operation, but meh, it could've been worse. [/quote]

I live near TP and visit loads of times every season, we were stuck on the block breaks behind Samurai (on SAW). they had to push us round onto the next set of BB's before the lift and then kick us onto the lift.

The engineer told us the ride is now down but beause the problem was behind us it is easier for us to do the circuit. We then had to wait until the other trains were manually moved off sections so we could pass safely.

Now, I know why Saw was having problems. The rides have been testing for 2 weeks, so that they do not have an opening day like last season. But they have mostly been testing without dummies, so emptier, lighter train have been running. Therefore the system has got used to this as when more wait is applied (8 people), the first set of breaks outside the building were not stopping the trains as effectively as they should.

But, a few changes stopped this as she was back up working soon enough.

Stealth was indeed down for the majority of the day, with Colossus and Rush having problems. Saw:Alive can be described in one work = FAIL. Themeing was great, inside and out, but it was so short, no scares (surely the killers are the scary ones, not the victims in traps?). The group sizes were way to big.

I just hope Thorpe didn't invest too much money in this as it was such a let down for the described "Worlds most terrifying horror maze", I honestly don't know how they can claim this.

One more point, any staff I know and asked "whats Saw alive about?" resulted in "No Comment", kind of shows their views too...bring on Th13teen on Sat!
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Emilychee

I'm heading to Thorpe for the first time on Sunday...does anyone know if any of the rides have had major down time this week? We're travelling a long way and will be pretty gutted if most of the big rides are down :cry:
Elliot

No rides have had major down time. There has been the normal down time that happens at Thorpe Park alot, by normal I mean some rides going down for about 10-60 mins during some days, apparently both Saw attractions, Stealth and Colossus have experienced some down time this week but nothing major.

Hope I've helped :)