Thorpe Park Resort - The Future

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

I think it was established that Thorpe are no longer to concerned about "area" themes due to the size of the park?
fredward

[quote=""nickhutson""]It's a good idea in theory - but, I think capacity would be an issue. By adding a 2nd attraction, they're drawing people away from the SAW ride - as opposed to laying a new one over a just-recently new one.

Thorpe Park isn't SAW WORLD. Is Islands of Adventure going to be Harry Potter world, because there will be 3 HP attractions? Do we know that the SAW maze is definitely going to be in a different section of the park? If they were creating a SAW area... I think it makes sense to have multiple attractions within it.[/quote]

the reason i was mentioning about Saw world is because i was thinking that it would be in the original location of the Thorpe belle, the location shown in the plans is actually the location i would of chosen if i was too place the attraction!
sibic

[quote=""Nathan""][quote=""Lotte""]Someone just posted this over in the rumour superthread on TPR.

[Begin Transmission]

The year is 2012...

The location is Surrey, UK...

Its going to be big...

...Really Big...

Its going to be steep...

[/End of Transmission][/quote]

265ft B&M hyper coaster.

Heard it a couple of months ago from someone at Thorpe.

They said 2012 too, apparently it hinges on a the new runway being granted at Heathrow?
[/quote]

john waldie his working with b&m on a coaster he mentioned it in a pod cast (I cant remember which pod cast but it was posted on sw6 constitution thread)
DiogoJ42

[quote=""sibic""] john waldie[/quote]
:chuckel:

So that will be another unthemed hunk of ugly steel at Thorpe then. Carpark coaster, anyone? :no:
nickhutson

Is John Waldie the same as John Wardley? :)

I do know something that I can't divulge, but I can say Thorpe is continuing to grow very well :)
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
thorpeparkjunkie

[quote=""Diogoj42""][quote=""sibic""] john waldie[/quote]

So that will be another unthemed hunk of ugly steel at Thorpe then. Carpark coaster, anyone? :no:[/quote]

#-o All of Thorpe's coasters are themed VERY well so god knows what you mean by that...
thorpeparkjunkie

[quote=""AstroDan""]I think it was established that Thorpe are no longer to concerned about "area" themes due to the size of the park?[/quote]

Correct! It is also so that there rides can stand out more on the map as different thrill rides rather than areas with ride in it was mentioned a few times on TPM

Annoying but i surpose it makes sense for there market which is working well
Joe Koopa

[quote=""thorpeparkjunkie""][quote=""Diogoj42""][quote=""sibic""] john waldie[/quote]

So that will be another unthemed hunk of ugly steel at Thorpe then. Carpark coaster, anyone? :no:[/quote]

#-o All of Thorpe's coasters are themed VERY well so god knows what you mean by that...[/quote]

Thorpe Park aren't actually that bad with theming coasters. Stealth dosen't really need the themingv even though the radio touch is nice, NI could do with more but both Colossus & SAW are well themed imo. :)
themealgang

It has been outlined before but Thorpe Park need to stop adding rides every year and need to focus on their reliability and crowd control for once. The entrance is in a mess plus, is it only me or the queues at Thorpe Park are always huge. Waiting in a queue is expected at a theme park but not for two hours at a time: even when the park is not that packed!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
WillXav

Thorpe Park could improve their park atmosphere, general infrastructure and paying more attention to themeing their rides and landscaping the park. Thorpe Park is a concrete jungle but it doesn't have to be, they have a lake and its a rare thing. A lakeside theme park which if landscaped, the park could look beautiful like Alton Towers.

Imagine, the carpark looks nice and there are trees and bushes. The entrance looks fun and more attention is paid to its presentation. The park's centrepiece is a lake which has been beautifully landscaped that it looks like some thrill-seeker's paradise.

[url=http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/5337-th ... ge__st__60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/5337-th ... ge__st__60[/url]

The above page describes a post from someone (DaveL) who tried out for the Merlin Grad scheme and whilst he didn't get the job, he talked to the person who did and they told him a bunch of info of what might be happening (subject to change):

2011:

Apparently Thorpe Park want Treasure Island but he's not sure about the theme, but there will be a theme. Thorpe Park 'plan' to relocated Quantum and an enclosed Vortex to this island. Also Zodiac's entrance will be moved and the whole Vortex area would be sealed off for a future ride. He thinks that Thorpe might want to build a coaster there (near Vortex / Zodiac) and if they build the coaster there, they won't have to infill much land. This would make sense with Neptune's Kingdom's uncertain future. The coaster could start near Neptune's Kingdom and surround the dome and go past the area where Lost City is.
amcmaster1

This sounds interesting and quite feasible - however i like the Lost City theme so i hope they expand on it with a potential coaster instead of build a ride in a completely different them.
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean
Rollercoaster5000

I highly doubt that we'll see a 265ft B&M Hyper coaster, according to recent plans, they want a coaster a similar height so Stealth, I can see the ride being around 200ft, 265ft is out of the question. Anyway here's an application I found [url=http://ww2.runnymede...MOREINF.003.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://ww2.runnymede...MOREINF.003.pdf[/url], information on the next MTDP can be found on page 15, here's what the plan mentions about the 200ft coaster
"The new MTDP will include medium scale rides, a high impact ride located on areas A / and or C (similar in height to Stealth)"
The application also mentions that the next MTDP should be released in 2010.
Jared

It's actually more about appealing to the correct target audience. Most people, of the general public, around the age of 14 - 20 don't really care all that much about the name of a given area of a park. So what Thorpe Park has done is change it so that the rides are classed by type and level of thrill, which not only helps the parks target demographic get around the park, but it also gives them direction as to what rides suit them.
Jaycey_18

Apparently there is going to be a permanent scare maze style built in Thorpe...Saw: Alive

Its going to be built in the Belle which will be re-located to Saw Island, I can't see this working tbh
BARROWMAN! *shakes fist*
nickhutson

Yes. This has been known for a while. It's an interesting move for Thorpe. Why can you not see it working, Jaycey_18?
Nick Hutson
WillXav

Thorpe Park is strong enough to not need all these endorsement deals but I do like the idea of a maze but just not SAW-themed. I liked the idea of the SAW: The Ride rollercoaster but without the SAW themeing.

From a SAW fan's point of view I like the idea of a SAW ride or a rollercoaster but from a Thorpe Park fan, it would'nt work, it's the exact same thing with the maze. Obviously from a SAW fan POV, I would like a maze but from a Thorpe Park fan's POV, it wouldn't work.

SAW Ride went over-budget and parts of the ride wasn't done as good as it could be. From Thorpe Park's track record, they never seem to hit the nail on the head completely. They have a very-well themed outside and indoor queue, station, indoor-ride section. But then the outside is bare and the indoor ride section wasn't as good as it could be.

It's like Thorpe Park are always soooo close to carrying their tasks and projects fantastically but all these aspects that they miss out on, make the ride look tacky or not perfect.

I just want to see Thorpe Park do one thing, have nothing whatsoever go wrong with it and do it perfectly.
Jaycey_18

I can't see it working purely for the Saw theme...how would it work?

Would it be different scenes and you walk through? Would it be you are in the trap and you have to get out? Would it be you decide what happens?

If its the case of you are in the trap, that is the most unfeesable idea because there's the getting people in the trap and then out of it after...que large queues

If you're walking through and you see actors in the traps, its not really interactive, because I assume it would be the same as most mazes, you don't touch them and they won't touch you. and if a trap was going to go off, I doubt they would want people near if there were moving parts etc etc

If you decide what happens, then that wouldn't really be scary, it would be more of an exhibit than a horror maze

Don't get me wrong, kudos to them for thinking of it, but I personally see it not working as well as it's being made out

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong though if it all goes ahead and it's good
BARROWMAN! *shakes fist*
FallenAbyss

If it's anything like the Saw: Face Your Fears maze that happened at Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights then we might be in for a treat. In terms of actual scares it was fairly poor but in terms of atmosphere and general coolness it worked a treat.

Throughout the event it had the longest queues and was a surefire hit with the punters, basically very few of the scenes were there to scare you ... it was all about the actors being put through the traps ... there were occasional scares but I found myself through a lot of the maze stopping to check out some of the theming or watch how the traps worked etc. The climax of the maze was pretty good though which featured strobes heavily and about 5 or 6 of the hooded pig characters all trying to attack you ... I can see the maze being an instant hit but i'm not sure what will happen with a reride factor theres only so many times you can go through it without it getting dull.
nickhutson

I think it could end up being like a mini dungeon experience. You may be guided through each room/exhibit, and each thing will have a scare with actors jumping out at you (pig people) between the scenes.
Nick Hutson
WillXav

I thought it would be like the SAW maze in Califonia. You would have to put your hands in stuff to press doors to open. It could look very well and be a huge success but it wouldn't look good if there were huge queue times.

There was a scene were a member of the public was kidnapped but it was actually a member of staff/actor under cover; this was very scary and created a false sense of realism.