Thorpe Park - Fright Nights

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
altontowerskid

I can't believe this hasn't done before and it's such a good idea to put the two up against eachother.
But i would say that Thorpe's Fright Nights win hands down to Alton's Scarefest. I would say this is plainly down the the mazes (which are the main attractions) being much more intense at Thorpe.
on air

Has to be Fright Nights for me.

The lighting is the main thing that wins it over for me, it really does add to the atmosphere. Surely it would not cost much to add some coloured lighting to some of the rides and trees at Alton this year instead of the boring white floodlights.

[url=http://www.fotowhizz.com\" target=\"_blank]www.fotowhizz.com[/url]
Adz
Admin
Admin

Fright Nights this year will also include a 4th maze.

Park theming did appear on a basic level last year and will probably be improved upon this year.

They also tested a few things such as putting actors along the railway route etc, So you may be in for a nice surprise this year if they expand upon it. The team in charge of Fright Nights certainly want to expand the event beyond what it currently is.

For me, Fright Nights wins without question. Scarefest whilst good for the slightly eerie atmosphere, failed on one important aspect. The mazes actually being scary and good.. With the exception of Room13 (which i found on par with any of the Universals Halloween Horror Nights mazes) they were dull and lifeless.
AstroDan

:shock:

I have never seen a group of enthusiasts screaming quite as much as on the first time we all did Field of 1000 Screams. It was certainly scary! And everytime I went round, people were screaming at the relevant points!

Interestingly, I found Room 13 the least scary of the three!

:P
Adz
Admin
Admin

Maybe I got a poor run through on the cornfield then..

I actually expected to see a zombie or two..
Power Of Ten

Fright nights defiantly for me it's just do much more eerie and ...scary

Thorpe use their light affects better,sound affects better, and they have some nice touches. (colossus station, steath bodybags)

For me the mazes at Thorpe are much scarier, and im looking forward to this new attraction.

Scarefest is ok, but nowhere near as good as the more developed Fright Nights.
This is my last Comment or View of TTF. I\'ve had enough of all this geek stuff, Im not worrying about theming or story\'s or landscaping, smoothness or what a ride is like compared to another. To just enjoy the roller coasters as fun and adrenalin filled.
barneyboy9

Fright Nights is better in my opinion due to the fantastic atmosphere they can create mainly due to the awesome themed soundtracks and there great variety of spooky attractions on offer.
Coaster Count: 87
Mini_Wortho

fight nights is just the best halloween thing in the UK nothing can beat it.
Sanbrooke Productions

I like both of the events and think they are both amazing but i'm going to have to go with Scarefest as the unique seeting of the ruins makes a perfect location for such an event. Thorpe seem to just put there attractions in tents. Also we know scarefest will be better than last year anyway all is good. :D
Adz
Admin
Admin

Thorpe seem to just put there attractions in tents.
They have one attraction in a tent?

The others are in Pirates 4D, Empty building space behind Nemesis Inferno's Shop, Unused X: Queueline, and the new maze this year will be on the... oh. :wink:
Sanbrooke Productions

[quote=""Adz""]
Thorpe seem to just put there attractions in tents.
They have one attraction in a tent?

The others are in Pirates 4D, Empty building space behind Nemesis Inferno's Shop, Unused X: Queueline, and the new maze this year will be on the... oh. :wink:[/quote]

Yeah that's true but it still doesn't seem to have the atmospheare of the towers. Why i don't know . :)
Adz
Admin
Admin

Well don't talk crap like "Thorpe seem to just put there attractions in tents." when they clearly don't.

Have you actually been?

Fright Nights actually has an atmosphere. (sure its the only time of the year thorpe itself has an atmosphere) whereas Scarefest is totally void of one due to the lack of.. well.. anything in the park.
Sanbrooke Productions

[quote=""Adz""]Well don't talk crap like "Thorpe seem to just put there attractions in tents." when they clearly don't.

Have you actually been?

Fright Nights actually has an atmosphere. (sure its the only time of the year thorpe itself has an atmosphere) whereas Scarefest is totally void of one due to the lack of.. well.. anything in the park.[/quote]

I visit Fright Nights twice a year and still enjoy it. :)
AstroDan

I do find Thorpe has more of an atmosphere than Alton Towers. However this is primarily in my eyes due to the concentration of all guests in a very small space and all rides/attractions/halloween attractions.

At Alton Towers there could a similar number of guests on park and an equivalent offering of halloween attractions as at Thorpe, but it would feel a little soulless as everyone is spread over a vast area.

Add lighting and sound to Towers and it would be better.
adamguy_6

I'm very much of the oppinion that Thorpe has a more rounded event at the moment. However, Towers has the potential for making Scarefest a much bigger, better quality event than Thorpe after a few years.

Like people have said, Alton Towers just needs a few years to grow the event...Rome wasn't built in a day. I think Field of 1000 screams is much more authentic and original than any of Thorpe's mazes that I've been to.

Alton this year has lots more original things across resort this year. A Voodoo Party in the Waterpark, Duel: Live, Haunted Hollow: Live, Scarefest Character Breakfasts in the Hotel, Mazes that (unlike Thorpe) actually have storylines linked to their location (Boilerhouse, FO1000S, TOTT).

They have a lot for Hotel Guests. They just need to, over the years, invest and expand more on Park related attractions.
Auntie Murial

Fright Nights is returning for yet another season at Thorpe Park here in 2008. The Assylum, Hellgate and Se7en returns this year along with a whole new live action maze named The Curse. I have not found much information as yet on this new attraction apart from it is apparantly set in Amity Cove !?! On Thorpe Parks official website its says " Step aboard the spirit of Amity to experience The Curse.

Fright Nights will be running from 13th October - 2nd November. However the John Lewis Partnership and Waitrose have hired Thorpe Park on the 12th October from 6pm til 11pm solely for Their employees to enjoy the park. All available rides and attractions will be open along with the Fright Nights Mazes.

As i work for the Parntnership i will be attending this event, and will be sure to post a trip report when i get home to let all know what is going on.

Visit The Parks Website to see all about Fright Nights and the rest of the Park.

Please visit here to read an interview to read an interview with Laura Sinclair, the Entertainments Manager in charge of Fright Nights this year. There is also an artwork logo for the new attraction which looks quite nice. The interview was made by The Haunted Attractions UK website, this is a fantastic website devoted to the UK's Halloween style events both seasonal and long term. Their website is well worth a look as it contains lots of features, interviews and pictures, you can find the site here

There is also mention of a new temporary Fright Nights attraction called Dead Space ! It comes with an 18 certificate, so it must push the limit some what.

EDIT: I have just noticed that there has been mention of this in the General Discussion section, however I think it would be nice to have it's own thread so we can discuss the Fright Nights easier.
Coaster Queen and Agony Aunt !
Kaycee

Aye! I've really, really enjoyed Fright Nights the last three seasons I've been - it's the only time of year I really enjoy Thorpe Park at all, to be honest. I'm really looking forward to it this year with additions to the line-up as well as all the old favourites! :)

This Dead Space attraction only seems to be available on certain nights (I'm guessing weekends..?) - with an 18+ certificate, I think I'll be hesitating to go on. :| Will certainly be interested to read a few reviews on that!

I take it that the park will be using their coloured lighting again for some rides/pathways - last year, the green and the purple lights looked awesome, and gave the park an atmosphere that AT park-wise struggled to achieve without.
senor_cooper

I have seen photos somewhwere of the construction of the decking for the new maze and it is on the beach type bit.

*scary slides*
ReallyRollercoasterRules

Taken From Thorpe Park Mania:

Looking Good :D
Really Rollercoaster- The Latest Theme Park News & Reviews

http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/
Dunny#1

[quote=""ReallyRollercoasterRules""]Taken From Thorpe Park Mania:

Looking Good :D[/quote]
You have to have just the image, if you right click and view image then copy that, or copy image location :)