Thorpe Park - Fright Nights

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Adz
Admin
Admin

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:I do apologise if this has already been mentioned but this year's map seems to say there is the normal 'actor-led horror mazes' as well as 'scare zones'.
True, but then Thorpe Park have never really grasped the concept of a ScareZone and seem to think they're just a crap maze (Blair Witch).

Hopefully they adopt the Alton Towers/Everywhere else style of ScareZone this year.
ThemeCrafter264

I looked at my 2016 Thorpe park map and it just described fright nights having 'live action horror mazes'.

EDIT. As South Parks reported in the article, http://www.southparks.co.uk/2017/04/16/ ... ar-awards/, Thorpe have been nominated for 2 awards for ScareCON Scar Awards for: Best Original Concept and Design – Platform 15 + Award for Technical Excellence – Derren Brown’s Ghost Train
Dom

Actor led and Live action are the same thing, just worded differently. I am also extremely surprised by the Platform 15 nomination.
Max

Dom wrote:I am also extremely surprised by the Platform 15 nomination.
As am I. It was awful.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
ThemeCrafter264

It was a clever idea but it was executed awfully. Also Dom I was focusing more on the fact it mentioned scarezones in this year's map but not last year's one. :)
Luce

I'm also surprised Platform 15 has been nominated as I agree that it was a good idea but in reality it was one of the worst horror mazes I've done. If it is returning this year, then I hope it's greatly improved as it certainly needs it.

Generally, I think Thorpe need to improve Fright Nights all round as Scarefest was a better event.
Amarghh

Surprised at Platform being nominated, but overall the concept was good with their backstory (including the tour guides speech, fab start) but execution wasn't to a high enough standard. They're making big changes to it this year and I'll be interested to see how they integrate all that space. :love:
ScareTOUR

We understand that many people hated Platform 15 but it was a good original story with some interesting design elements. It could have been amazing. Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of the actors - the whole experience really didn't work. But then look at how much The Big Top changed in a year
Dom

Theme Park Guide have posted a rather intriguing news article with regards to Cabin in the Woods.
dannypugh88

I'm excited to see what the event brings this year , something fresh [emoji16]
Justin

I must agree, It needs a shake up. Personally I'd like more unique mazes and not IPs, although it seems likely another IP has been chosen to join this year's Fright Nights.
dannypugh88

I'm
Not a fan of the whole IP thing . Universal are the only ones that get it right . At least we can all get excited that platform 15 will return [emoji12]
ScareTOUR

We know from a number of articles and interviews, that Dominic Jones has promised at least one new IP coming to the Island.

If the whispers we've heard are true - the name is a big one that should get the park a LOT of attention this year. Which to be honest is never a great thing as peak nights are rammed as it is - let alone adding even more people to the mix.

Will be interesting to see how they manage the demand...
Zach

Dom wrote:Theme Park Guide have posted a rather intriguing news article with regards to Cabin in the Woods.

Interesting that TPG has now removed this article hmmm...
archie.mm

TheSmilerMan wrote:
Dom wrote:Theme Park Guide have posted a rather intriguing news article with regards to Cabin in the Woods.

Interesting that TPG has now removed this article hmmm...
What exactly was it may I ask?
Dom

It was an image of a completely gutted Cabin in the Woods maze area.
Ladyofthelake

As reported on SouthParks Facebook, FRIGHT NIGHTS is launching a week earlier than normal with the event starting on 29th September this year. Given how busy the park is during the event I wonder if this is partly Thorpe trying to create some additional capacity for the event.
Dom

I'm just excited by Fright Nights generally so hooray to an extra weekend of scares. Although, this may put a spanner in the works for my Halloween plans :lol  I would imagine it is them adding some extra capacity for the event, especially as it seems to 'sell out' each year. 
ScareTOUR

The extra week is exciting and its great to see Halloween spreading into September, as in America.
DeadJack5

Thorpe Park briefly updated their Fright Nights page with the following image before removing it.

Photo Credit: Thorpe Park Local's Facebook

Thoughts on this and what it might suggest?