Woman dies at Six Flags Texas

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Alex

Taken from CNN

A woman died Friday while riding the Texas Giant roller coaster at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, according to a statement released by the theme park.The park did not detail release any details about how the woman died on the Texas Giant, touted as the tallest steel-hybrid roller coaster in the world."Since the safety of our guests and employees in our number one priority, the ride has been closed pending further investigation," the statement said.The Arlington Police Department did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment.The Texas Giant was originally designed in 1990 as an all wooden roller coaster. It was redesigned with a steel track and reopened in April 2011 to mark the theme park's 50th anniversary.At its highest point, the roller coaster is 153 feet and has a drop of 147 feet, according to the theme park.Thousands of kids hurt yearly on amusement ridesElsewhere, seven people suffered minor injuries in a boat-ride mishap at the Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio, park officials said.The incident occurred Friday evening when a boat rolled backwards down a lift hill on the Shoot the Rapids ride, park spokesman Bryan Edwards said in an e-mailed statement.The seven people in the boat were evaluated and treated by Cedar Point emergency medical staff, Edwards said. One of the seven was taken to an area hospital for additional evaluation and was subsequently released, he said.
Last edited by Alex on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rita 2005

Alex.D

This is bad. As soon as people see "wooden coaster" they will go, " silly woman, everyone knows wooden coasters are dangerous" :roll: This will probably stop thorpe from hinting at a wooden coaster now. :(
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
C0RR3CTED1

Apparently she had told a member of staff before they set off that she didn't think she was securely fastened in properly. Bet that person is feeling pretty bad now! People are bound to see the ride in a dangerous light after this but it was more than likely just down to staff negligence.
Lee

C0RR3CTED1  wrote: Apparently she had told a member of staff before they set off that she didn't think she was securely fastened in properly. Bet that person is feeling pretty bad now! People are bound to see the ride in a dangerous light after this but it was more than likely just down to staff negligence.
It's a bit harsh to be blaming the staff already. I don't know the ride myself, but I'd imagine there are multiple safety procedures pre-dispatch, most likely including computerised systems.
Jammydodger

If I remember correctly it is not a mandatory procedure for Six Flags parks to manually check harnesses and lapbars to speed up the loading processes and certainly not part of the Health and Safety Law in America.

If that's the case, its really sad to think one small tug was the difference between life or death.
Alex

According to Orlando United this is rumoured to have been what has happened
The story I have heard is that the lap bar secured on top of a large fat roll, and the with the negative G's of the double down, the fat roll popped above the bar leaving a large gap between the bar and her thighs. The next time the train hit negative G's, she was ejected.
Another member said when the train came back into the station the lapbar was still in position, so it hadn't popped open. The two stories seem to back each other up. Seem just like an unfortunate event
ReZourceman

Don't mean any offence by this, but...

....Some chick was on a video saying how the woman who died was no bigger than her, but she was pretty large.

Its unfortunate. Fat peeps gotta get dem thrillz (I am a fat person), so of course it shouldn't happen, but it makes you wonder if the rider could have done more. I don't even know what my point is. Very tragic.
TB2

Alex.D wrote: This is bad. As soon as people see "wooden coaster" they will go, " silly woman, everyone knows wooden coasters are dangerous" :roll: This will probably stop thorpe from hinting at a wooden coaster now. :(
Yes but before all that, a Woman has lost her life. Thats the important part of this story, not whether a theme park several thousand miles away in the UK gets a wooden coaster or not.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

robrymond

I rode this back in June...approx a month before this incident happened. Firstly it is a superb coaster...so smooth and comfortable yet a fantastic sense of speed and that drop is superb.

I know Health and Safety is not as strict in America...but the staff did check the harnesses when we rode. They would come down each line and check and then thumbs up...a bit like they do here.

I cannot think of a ride where the restraints were not checked. I also rode Batman that day which broke down as we sat down to ride. We had to get off and wait around 15 minutes whilst they checked and tested the ride. From what I gather it was something to do with the locking mechanism for the harness.

On a side note...really enjoyed my visit to Six Flags Texas. It was at the peak of an early Summer heatwave when we went with temps at 40C...but with unlimited drinks and plenty of air coolers and sprays...it was more manageable than one of our parks on a hot day. There are some great rides there...and some epicallly tall coasters.
Rob Rymond - www.robrymond.com