Thorpe Park - SAW: The Ride

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

Everything looks fantastic, apart from the fact that from the top of the lift to the end brakes... 30 seconds.

Extremely short! Although there is the indoor section.
Thom

A couple of tidbits here.

Thom...
furie

Well, I'd love to say the ride is great.

I'd even like to be able to say the ride is bad.

All I CAN say is that the ride is broken :(

It broke during the media thing last night (Wednesday) and has been broken since. They're hoping to be able to get it running for tomorrow.

Bit of a nightmare and embarrassing situation for Thorpe really.

Obviously, things go wrong, that's life. I can't believe there wasn't an engineer from Gerstlaur on-site though during the opening few days to make sure everything went well in a "real life" situation...

I have a few shots from outside the ride I can post, but I don't think it's anything anyone hasn't seen before.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Matt.C

[spoiler:2tjhoobo]During the 100-second ride, which at one point is 100ft high and drops 100 degrees, actors portray a woman being tortured by a masked maniac, and a 'dead' man is suspended in barbed wire.[/spoiler:2tjhoobo]
Sounds good to me. I need to take a trip down to Thorpe Park soon but I doubt I'll get a chance =(
AstroDan

Christ. Bit rubbish for that to happen when the enthusiasts went.

:lol:
Pennywise

Thorpe really can't afford for it to be closed Saturday, with Stealth and Slammer closed already! :roll:
FallenAbyss

Just to confirm the rides problems today ...
Just spotted this ....
So... team Bizarre were meant to ride the scary new SAW ride at Thorpe Park. But it was BROKEN. We got drunk instead.
source: [url=http://twitter.com/bizarremagazine" target="_blank]http://twitter.com/bizarremagazine[/url]

Doh !
Anonymous

I Hope its open Saturday.. knowing Thorpe it wont be though.
Wes

One word.

Shambles.
Chris W

Every park in the world has problems with rides when they first open so this time I'm not going to jump on their backs.

I understand that the park want a decent opening weekend but it would have been better leaving a press night until a few weeks after opening, doesn't leave a good impression having the ride totally breakdown during a high profile opening.

I hope its open for all the Annual Pass holders tomorrow, I'm sure some of you will be travelling a decent distance.
spark

[quote=""kryn""]What a spiffing start!

Link below contains 2 spoilers. (not massive ones)

[spoiler:2vo1gw7q]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... party.html[/spoiler:2vo1gw7q]
ONLY
AT
THORPE
PARK :clap: :clap:

Oh and look at the comments below =P~
I went to Thorpe Park a couple of years ago and it was a dirty, horrible and full of gangs of thug looking youths trying to pick fights with other gangs.

- Sarah, Ashford, Kent
[/quote]

Reading the link, god some people are losers! they need to get a grip of reality :x
Gazza Smurf

Apparently it's a problem with the lift hill and a Gerstlauer engineer's getting there tonight to get it sorted for tomorrow.
spark

Stealth is still closed?
furie

I left early ( I had 160 mile journey home :roll: ), but apparently the management never came and talked to the enthusiasts at the end, apologised or anything. Likewise, they left it up to one enthusiast to be a "spokesperson" for them.

Very bad show generally if you want people to give your ride a bit of good press - even in the face of a problem like this.

Photos for those who care - not much as we weren't allowed into the queueline or anything - that would have made the day seem like less of a waste to be honest.

Topics merged Neal - let's keep it all in one spot? :)

Photos of the day!

Spinning blades of doom... Which don't spin...

Onsite security to make sure we didn't get to see ANY of the ride...

CONDEMNED!

Shot for the Mario fans!

Tin shed... I mean... Shop

Geek shot!

Don't be fooled, it isn't really working!

It was stuck like this for ages!
furie

Why wasn't a Gerstlaur engineer on site anyway? I just can't get my head around this!

I do two or three massive upgrades or installs a year. I always start with a day or two making sure everything is well prepared. Then I arrange to stay after the "live" date to hang around and fix any problems. Even on the small scale stuff I do, I give myself a day to a day and a half!

To just leave Thorpe to themselves is ridiculous!
Anonymous

Where Abouts did the ride break down?
furie

[quote=""Jessielou100""]Where Abouts did the ride break down?[/quote]

Somewhere in either the computers, sensor array or lift hill.

Nobody was sure, which is why they sent for a Gerstlaur engineer
MPDarby

Just found this article on the daily mail website

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... party.html" target="_blank]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... party.html[/url]

It says "actors portray a woman being tortured by a masked maniac, and a 'dead' man is suspended in barbed wire". Now that sounds gruesome.

(Sorry if this has already been posted)
Thanks for riding the Runaway Minetrain, we hope you enjoyed your trip. Choo! Choo!
Chris W

[quote=""furie""]I left early ( I had 160 mile journey home :roll: ), but apparently the management never came and talked to the enthusiasts at the end, apologised or anything. Likewise, they left it up to one enthusiast to be a "spokesperson" for them.[/quote]

Thats very poor by the management, considering today was for their best customers.

Thanks for the photos. :)
Dormiens-Dave

Its unusual for a manufacturer engineer not to be on site, i know B&M engineers where on site for air for a week after it opened