Thorpe Park - SAW: The Ride

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

Nemesis is not amazingly themed. Nothing in the UK, coasters-wise, is particuarly mind blowing.

Saw's station and indoor will be well themed - but the coaster itself looks completely devoid of any theming whatsoever.
Wes

I think this ride will, in my opinion, make Thorpe Park the UK's best themed park.
Joe Koopa

Best themed ride is OK.
Yet Best Themed Park!? :shock:
AstroDan

[quote=""Wes""]I think this ride will, in my opinion, make Thorpe Park the UK's best themed park.[/quote]

Not really in agreement there, but Rush, Samurai, Slammer, Detonator, Vortex, Zodiac, Flying Fish and Octopus' Gardens are devoid of practically any theming whatsoever!

Thorpe have some good theming, but Alton Towers, whilst not all well themed, offers theming on all but very few rides, whilst all rides at Chessington and Legoland are themed.
Mattia

[url=http://www.thorpepark.com/rides-saw.php" target="_blank]http://www.thorpepark.com/rides-saw.php[/url]
Seems like there will be an age recommendation of over 12 years of age, just like the mazes...

Looking good :)
Matt.C

What I find funny is that it says 'THORPE PARK brings extreme terror ride - SAW The Ride' yet only a recommendation of 12 years old is applied. I mean my idea of extreme terror is something on the par of The Ring or another really weird and freaky horror film. It can be that bad if 12 year olds can get in.
Nemair

Most Horror Mazes have an age reccomendation of 12, and they're bloody scary!
stigzy

[quote=""Wes""]I think this ride will, in my opinion, make Thorpe Park the UK's best themed park.[/quote]

Agreed! I already think it is, from a personal point of view, collectively I prefer the theme area's Thorpe Park have to the ones that Towers have. For me they just seem so much more refreshing. Although it does seem Thorpe seem to be abolishing the whole 'theme area thing' according to their park map, and seem to be focussing as it would seem on just theme ride's. That said however, the colour scheming, general signage, shrub planting, other small details and mainly the amazing audio as seen on rides for example such as Vortex, Zodiac, Rush, Colossus all seem to say and point to a 'lost world theme' of some sort. Which makes me wonder, are they really abolishing the whole theme area thing?!

That's not to say I hate the theme's at Towers either, because I find they are pretty awesome (:shock:), but only because of the surrounding landscape! If Towers was laid out flat like Thorpe Park is, the theme's would look awful! A few niggly things though, the theme on Blade looks tatty, worn and generally a mess, The whole Oasis VS Forbidden Valley clash, Enterprises' theme?All the other flat rides seem to be pretty bang on, especially Enterprise and ripsaw and perhaps Marauder's Mayhem. But in a strange sort of way, I actually prefer the bald, brash look on Rush than I do the theme on Ripsaw! It's most likely all a matter of personal taste...

It's also worth pointing out, that Tower's main target is people seeking a fantastical experience, where as Thorpe is all about the thrill. But in my opinion it would seem Thorpe most definitely have the thrill but also have the very 'fantastical theme's' thing that Towers seems to be aiming for, but are lacking...

[quote=""Matthew C""]What I find funny is that it says 'THORPE PARK brings extreme terror ride - SAW The Ride' yet only a recommendation of 12 years old is applied. I mean my idea of extreme terror is something on the par of The Ring or another really weird and freaky horror film. It can be that bad if 12 year olds can get in.[/quote]

Totally understand where your coming from, because it doesn't make the ride sound as scary as their making it out to be. But I suppose they have to have a mix of both sides of the argument. On one hand it's got to be marketed as a scary dark roller coaster but on the other hand they need to attract as many visitors as possible. slapping a age restriction of say 18 would probably deter a large percentage of potential visitors!
Last edited by stigzy on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

Oh yes, the Flying Fish theme is fabulous. The theme on Detonator too, simply unbeatable. And just for good measure, the pirate-theme on Time Voyagers? Another gem!

Apart from the Nemesis Inferno Volcano (from some angles), Colossus from the bridge, Stealth and parts of Canada Creek and Amity/Tidal Wave, there isn't much at Thorpe Park to shout about, theming wise.
stigzy

It's like I said Dan, it's all a matter of personal taste and opinion, and theres no room for opinion bashing round these parts pal :| . It's probably because I've done towers time and time again and to put it bluntly am quite sick of the same old, same old! I just find and have always found Thorpes theme's to be so much more uplifting and refreshing. The audio in a theme plays a big part and I think Thorpe Park has some of the best ride audio out there.

Getting back on topic though, I personally think as Wes said, Saw The Ride which is being dashed with a theme on a much larger scale than any ride seen in the UK, will in fact, collectively with Thorpes other theme's put Thorpe Park on the Theme Park map. And at the very least give Alton Towers a close run (and were talking by milimeters) for it's money! I hope it does anyway, because Thorpe deserves it...
Chris J

With regard to the theme areas, Thorpe Park aren't going to be getting rid of these. SAW is very much following on from the Canada Creek theme that it's set in (if we try and forget Samurai sits in between SAW and the rest of the Creek for now!). On the SAW website, the blueprints have "Canada Creek" scrawled over them.

The park has stated that the themed areas will continue to exist, but they just won't be putting any emphasis on them in marketing, eg the Park Map because they feel a larger "thrill island" will be more appealing to their target market. In-park, we have seen a lot of emphasis on the Amity Cove area over the past few years reinforcing the area as it has gradually expanded.
AstroDan

[quote=""stigzy""]Getting back on topic though, I personally think as Wes said, Saw The Ride which is being dashed with a theme on a much larger scale than any ride seen in the UK, will in fact, collectively with Thorpes other theme's put Thorpe Park on the Theme Park map. And at the very least give Alton Towers a close run (and were talking by milimeters) for it's money! I hope it does anyway, because Thorpe deserves it...[/quote]

The thing with that though, is that people said the same thing when Stealth opened. And when Rush/Slammer opened. Yet, year after year, Thorpe continue to construct high quality and big attractions to suit thrill seekers whilst the park continues to be one of the worst in Europe operationally.

Everytime Thorpe open a big new ride, people almost begin getting the violins out for Alton Towers and the rest, but consistently, Thorpe nevery improves. It just gets more rides.

If the park deserved it, then they would improve their operations.
stigzy

That's what I'm liking about Thorpe at the minute. They have the theme's, they know they work and people like them. But rather doing what any run of the mill theme park would do and market the themes, they just let them happily sit there in the background while Thorpe get on and aim for the thrill market. Its like a complete mix of the best of both worlds.

[quote=""AstroDan""]The thing with that though, is that people said the same thing when Stealth opened. And when Rush/Slammer opened. Yet, year after year, Thorpe continue to construct high quality and big attractions to suit thrill seekers whilst the park continues to be one of the worst in Europe operationally.

Everytime Thorpe open a big new ride, people almost begin getting the violins out for Alton Towers and the rest, but consistently, Thorpe nevery improves. It just gets more rides.

If the park deserved it, then they would improve their operations.[/quote]

There’s no denying that operationally they do suck, though I should point out not in mine or everyone else’s case. Every time I've visited everything seems to be in working order. Honestly, all except Stealth, which runs just as good as it's older sister, Rita. I agree it doesn’t seem to be able to handle the huge crowds well, but these are all small fixes. The rides are there and seem to keep on coming, perhaps the management just need to brush up a little, that is all, nothing major!

Surely Saw The Ride with such a heavily laden theme and the backing of a major and popular horror film is bound to have a much more larger impact than what Slammer, Rush, Stealth ever had and I wouldn't be too deliberating about getting those violins out. Not that I ever stated outside of my own opinion that Thorpe Park is better than Alton Towers or was going to be better. But realistically speaking it does only need another major roller coaster or so in my opinion to overtake the theme park side at Alton Towers.
Last edited by stigzy on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

I have never had a worse day at a theme park than I did at Fright Nights 2008. Period. As a result, I just cannot even begin to consider how Thorpe Park is even coming close to Alton Towers, or indeed most of the other major parks across Europe that I have visited.

Any park that has a 1 hour queue for guest services, or a 45 minute fastrack queue, or has 2 major thrill rides closed, or a 3 hour queue for a Scare maze really is NOT competing on a world scale for quality.

I like Stealth. I like Rush. I like Samurai. I like Loggers Leap. I like Nemesis Inferno. I like Quantum. I know I will like Saw. But do I like THORPE PARK? Not really - even though three of their attractions are some of my favourite rides, ever!

And that's all I have to say!
CoasterCrazyChris

I personally don't have much problem with the themes at TP. Just the way the whole place is marketed. Even major thrill seekers dont want to visit a theme park hoarded by flats and coasters, its tacky.
The only way the park can be successful and compete on a European scale is by catering for all.
rita's girl

Hey Guys...

Just one for the bigger people....

I have been looking on Thorpe's website and they say that there is size restrictions for Saw..

I rang the help line and was informed that the restraints will be the same as Blivvy's with a double harness seat :clap:

Im chuffed cause i can fit in the normal seats but i need just one little click more to fit properly so i have to use the double harnessed seat due to my shoulder size :oops:
Me x
Khanage

Cheers for that RG. I read that too and thought the same but if it is the same size as the other coasters at TP then I think I'll be good. Probably still can't get into Vortex though :(
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

dani9393

Just curiosity setting in. I have heard rumors that TP will be holding a session/day whatever you wanna call it for APholders on the 13th which will be the day the competition winners will be going. Anyone else heard anymore about this?
rita's girl

When I phoned and asked yesterday they said there was no ap days before the ride
Me x
Mattia

They're really pushing it in the advertisement sense. Click and look at the banner below the Play.com shopping menus

[url=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/3-/295082/2 ... html?dpr=0" target="_blank]http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/3-/295082/2 ... html?dpr=0[/url]

Some of the queueline actor's possible costumes? Image

These were/are seen in the American scare maze "SAW Live!" which sets up during Halloween Period.

Maybe inside here could give us a slight indication as to how the inside of the queue building and ride will be.

Click
and
Click