Thorpe Park - SAW: The Ride

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Swarm Chris

Icymice wrote:Earlier thorpe posted an image of their map on Twitter, in which under saw it said that it had an age rating of 13+. The post has now been removed, could this be to do with saw's 10th anniversary?
This appears to be a change from 2018, looking at last year's map. It's not listed as having actors in it, so I wonder why the age recommendation has been added?
Icymice

I'm not even sure why it has one as Th13teen doesn't (as far as I'm aware) and I would consider the queue and themeing of that to be much more likely to scare people than Saw's.
ProfBurp

Does anyone know why the age recommendation was added? Haven’t heard anything that shows the attraction has changed in anyway?
Swarm Chris

ProfBurp wrote:Does anyone know why the age recommendation was added? Haven’t heard anything that shows the attraction has changed in anyway?
There is currently nothing of note different in the attraction.

It's possible that the age recommendation hadn't actually changed, rather it just hadn't been on the map for a while. The ride information board states a recommended age of over 12 and I don't believe it was a new board.
ProfBurp

Swarm Chris wrote:
ProfBurp wrote:Does anyone know why the age recommendation was added? Haven’t heard anything that shows the attraction has changed in anyway?
There is currently nothing of note different in the attraction.

It's possible that the age recommendation hadn't actually changed, rather it just hadn't been on the map for a while. The ride information board states a recommended age of over 12 and I don't believe it was a new board.
Actually yes as you quite rightly say the ride info board has said that for a while as I remember this now. But thanks for the update.
WickerBoy

In this week’s blog, Thorpe Park have said that “there have been some ‘disturbances’ in the vicinity” of SAW... 
Full article here: https://www.thorpepark.com/blog/thorpe-s-big-4-0-the-big-enormous-giant-humongous-great-week
Wagstaff04

Sorry I’m late, I’ve been busy with revision for internals, but now I’m ready to give my review of all Thorpe’s coasters, starting with Saw. 

So first let me just say that the theming here is good, just not at the level of the rest of the park. I did get a fastrack for it, so I may have missed some stuff out. 
Now, the seat I got was the middle left on the back row of the first train, and apparently that’s the worst seat on the ride, so we’re off to a great start. One positive is that this ride has the strongest airtime out of any coaster I’ve ridden, but it’s hard to enjoy that when your head is being beaten to a pulp. My God, this ride is so rough that when I went on Nemesis Inferno afterwards, my head was having Vietnam flashbacks. 

So overall, decent layout, but some serious retracking needed. Score: 5/10
Swarm Chris

Wagstaff04 wrote: So first let me just say that the theming here is good, just not at the level of the rest of the park. I did get a fastrack for it, so I may have missed some stuff out. 
Some say the ride itself is the theming, a torture device in its own right. :sus: There's not a great deal more in the main outdoor queue that ever interests me in the theming and decoration.

Glad that it looks like you otherwise enjoyed the full Saw experience, and came off with a headache and no doubt wondering why you just did that. :P
Swarm Chris

Our resident Saw: The Ride expert tells me this has been repainted.

Shame the ride still rattles. :sus:
DeadJack5

Swarm Chris wrote:Our resident Saw: The Ride expert tells me this has been repainted.
It's true, I did tell him this :sus:

On a serious note I don't mind this too much, kind of liked the run down look of it as it fits in, but regardless it's nice that they are doing little things like this.
With regards to the 10 year alteration addition, I would like to think the actors returning to the queue area would be added but I don't know how likely this is. I guess time will tell!
Icymice

Thorpe Park have posted this on their twitter:
https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/1132209690287497222
What could it mean?
Justin

They missed 'need' out of that, but it relates to actors around the ride.
Swarm Chris

Icymice wrote:Thorpe Park have posted this on their twitter:
https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/1132209690287497222
What could it mean?
SouthParks has all the information on the roaming actors that have returned for Saw - The Ride's birthday weekend. :)
KaiPhillips

I've been thinking, how long is the licence for Saw. Is it possible it will be rethemed for next year?
#1 Schwur des Karnan #2 Taron #3 The Smiler #4 Colossos - KdG #5 The Swarm #6 Flug der Damonen #7 Nemesis #8 Wicker Man #9 Shambala #10 Rock n Rollercoaster (Fl)
#1 Phantasialand #2 Alton Towers #3 PortAventura #4 WDW Hollywood Studios #5 Universal IOA
Justin

I think the licence is up soon, but if it was to go then Creek Woods Sawmill (as advertised as a teaser for their new Fright Nights maze) would be a good fit for the area.
KaiPhillips

Exactly why I asked the question, that does sound perfect for a retheme.
#1 Schwur des Karnan #2 Taron #3 The Smiler #4 Colossos - KdG #5 The Swarm #6 Flug der Damonen #7 Nemesis #8 Wicker Man #9 Shambala #10 Rock n Rollercoaster (Fl)
#1 Phantasialand #2 Alton Towers #3 PortAventura #4 WDW Hollywood Studios #5 Universal IOA
Owen

Whilst I could see it I personally think that a retheme would be fairly unlikely with Saw, if anything a re-fresh is what I’d expect.

Saw as a franchise is still alive and well with a reboot of the series currently in development starring Chris Rock and Samuel L Jackson. With the undeniable appeal that the Saw IP has had with the ride (and therefore park) I’d see Thorpe being hard pressed to change it when the franchise seems to be stronger than ever in pop culture.

That being said, Lionsgate also see this and that may give them room to try and get some extra cash from a licence renewal or feel as though they no longer want to continue with the deal for whatever reason. It’ll be interesting either way I think!
KaiPhillips

I completely agree, everyone knows about Saw, but will Thorpe really pay? You can see why they might retheme it to brand it as new.