Thorpe Park - SAW: The Ride

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Nickolai

I don’t think I experienced much of a jolt on Saw, but I did think it had a similar roughness to The Smiler. Maybe I was on a good train! 
Formally Smiler313
Justin

SAW - The Ride
SAW – The Ride, the world's first horror movie rollercoaster as you experience a ‘beyond vertical’ drop of 100 degrees from a height of 100ft.

With the closed season upon us, how would you review SAW - The Ride at the THORPE PARK Resort?
[youtube]yGE-B2jY8AA[/youtube]
streetmagix

I guess due to the temperature (it was around 6-7c all day, cold enough for SWARM to be closed from around 11 to park close) SAW was running both slower and smoother than usual. We almost stalled on the curve to the breaks before the lift hill, I reckon if the car was going 2 or 3 mph slower we wouldn't have made it. The rest of the ride felt smoother than usual, probably due it running slower. The only jolt was the bottom of the first drop, even the last dive loop was fine! 
Swarm Chris

I certainly had better rides on it earlier on the year when it was pretty cold. Able to re-ride quite happily. Then went on once a couple of weeks ago when it was warmer and headaches straight away. Surprised Swarm closed because of the cold, above 5c and it's usually the wind or the parks current bank balance that closes it.

Getting stuck that early into the ride would have been embarrassing for Thorpe and Gerstlauer!
streetmagix

I prefer The Smiler earlier in the season for that reason. Wind was a big factor today, I had just clipped in my belt(s) for Nemesis Inferno when they closed it for high wind. This was at 1658 so that was it, ride closed for the day. Everything else seemed to stop dead on 1700, probably also for wind reasons.

If SAW ever got stuck there how would they evac people? Unless they have a platform inside that I've not spotted before it would be pretty awkward. I guess they could pull the train into the block breaks at the base of the lifthill.
Swarm Chris

I think Merlin lawyers come out and personally push the train to the block brakes!

But it's been in operation long enough that it should be impossible for it to get stuck there with guests onboard within operating conditions.
Justin

The Swarm was closed yesterday due to the winds. I must agree though, Saw was very smooth over the weekend and it is very much a ride I enjoy.
Dungeon-X-Smile

I really love Saw. I've been noticing how well it has aged, and even though I've ridden it a hundred times, I'm still discovering new things to this day. The Warehouse ride theming is just a cut above, with all these wonderful little hidden gags for those who have seen the films. I really admire how much effort and thought was put into the queue line and it makes queueing so much fun! And, of course, the rollercoaster itself is beyond fantastic, and tied best in the park. By far the best thing to come out of the Saw franchise.
Justin

SAW - The Ride
SAW – The Ride, the world's first horror movie rollercoaster as you experience a ‘beyond vertical’ drop of 100 degrees from a height of 100ft.

With the closed season upon us, how would you review SAW - The Ride at the THORPE PARK Resort?
[/b][/center]
Swarm Chris

Clearly the least bubbly ride at the park. :sus:
Htjc_

Unpopular opinion, I actually quite like this ride. The layout is very fun, if a little short and the theme just works. It could do with a thorough clean in the building which I think it's getting along with it's pressure washing. I hear many complaints about it being rough but I feel that adds to the experience in a weird sort of way. The theme isn't meant to make you feel comfortable and when the ride throws you around like a rag doll I think it fits in quite well. I also don't find the roughness painful but rather quite fun, the opposite to The Smiler's jackhammer attached to the back of my seat effect.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Pins

10 years old now, which is insane!

It’s a strong attraction, and whilst I don’t like IP rollercoasters in general, this is as good a fit as you could hope for!
Justin

I really enjoy Saw which can surprise some people.

I love the theming and atmosphere around the area, especially towards the early evening. It is really immersive from the time you enter the plaza to the time you board. The ride has a good mix of elements in an indoor/outdoor attraction. It keeps you busy, and there is never a dull moment.

I know others complain about the roughness of the ride, but I believe it depends on your height. Being tall I fit in quite nicely, therefore, there is little movement in the restraints.
Dan

I like the theme and atmosphere of the ride, and the indoor section is pleasant enough. That for me is where the enjoyment ends, as the outside section is pure pain.
Dom

Dan wrote:I like the theme and atmosphere of the ride, and the indoor section is pleasant enough. That for me is where the enjoyment ends, as the outside section is pure pain.
This is my exact thoughts on Saw too :lol. Maybe I just have issues with Gerstlauer coasters in general :lol 
Seriously though, Saw works for the park and I can't think of anything actual negative to say about the ride as a whole. Its just the outdoor bit which hurts. Its always fun to watch though and I, along with many other enthusiasts, all were made very happy when we realised the blades had been fixed. 
Chris
Admin
Admin

Having ridden Mystery Mine in it's opening year, and again last year, it seems as if this particular model of Eurofighter with the OTSR's just don't age well.

The lap bars on the newer versions make the world of difference.

I don't think Saw is particularly rough - but almost too fast for its own good. From the horrible bump at the bottom of the first drop, to the jolty final turn - it just hurts my head.

Maybe Merlin could retrofit Saw with the lap bar trains - but unlikely considering their approach to safety after certain events, and the fact they just don't invest significant amounts of cash on existing rides without 'relaunching' them.
Ladyofthelake

Theming wise, this coaster is pretty good - I think it benefits from having the IP as it means Lionsgate hold Merlin to maintaining a minimum standard of upkeep on the theming. In terms of ride experience, I have to agree that once you emerge from the indoor section it is an uncomfortable, at times painful ride. There has been more than one occasion where I have come off the ride with a headache, something which shouldn't really happen but seems to be a trait of most Gerstlaurer rides unfortunately.
DeadJack5

Best ride in the world.

Jokes aside, I do really adore this ride. It was the first ride I followed construction for (Th13teen being the main coaster i followed) and I just have a big soft spot for it. It is getting rougher and it can have some really horrible rides on it, but I would much rather take a ride up on this than Colossus. I just adore it to bits. If it had some work done and modifications done to it to make the experience less rough, it would certainly be a bigger fan favourite than it is at the moment.  
Icymice

Earlier thorpe posted an image of their map on Twitter, in which under saw it said that it had an age rating of 13+. The post has now been removed, could this be to do with saw's 10th anniversary?
Htjc_

With a bit of luck we I think we might see some actors back in there. That would be nice to have. They have spruced Saw up with the jet washing and I imagine more will have been done inside with the possibility of roaming/caged actors. Fingers crossed!
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!