Thorpe Park - SAW: The Ride

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Khanage

I disagree Dara. The track layout looks anything but dull. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see though.

As Ash said: Construction pics? I should imagine work on the station building should start soon.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Khanage

[quote=""Liam""]NO
Show's they lack their own imagination.[/quote]

I think Stealth shows they lack their own imagination! :wink: At least this is something different in terms of the theme. I hope we'll be pleasantly surprised!
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

WillXav

Dull compared to speed? This is the best layout out of all of the eurofighter's seen. Speed has it's normal vertical loop, whilst we have a variety of loops on ours.

We have an immelmann turn, 2 over-banked turns and a sexy air-time hill might I add. Our coaster is massive compared to Speed's basic elements.

Not forgetting that everything is sooo tight where as our coaster is spread out and is nice and flowing.
sheepie

[quote=""Ash""]Any more construction pics? They all seem to have dried up :([/quote]

Well to be fair, there's nothing new going on. All the electrics for the ride have to be installed and then I guess they'll start on the themeing for the station with general area landscaping being done last.

I do have to say that the coaster looks great up close... the Immelmann turn (although to be fair it looks very much like an over- banked turn to me =P) looks insane from Loggers and the dive loop is incredibly tight.

It also looked pretty cool lit up in green 8)
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.
Kaz

At the moment it's just cladding the station and ground work, nothing big.
Anonymous

Hi-im a newb obviously :D - Anyway, im from Glasgow and im coming down to Thorpe soon (prob next year now though) - id heard about this ride but didnt realise how cool it actually looked! :shock: - Really cant wait to go on it, probably be scarier than the last 3 Saw movies. :lol:
Dara

[quote=""elementist""]Dull compared to speed? This is the best layout out of all of the eurofighter's seen. Speed has it's normal vertical loop, whilst we have a variety of loops on ours.

We have an immelmann turn, 2 over-banked turns and a sexy air-time hill might I add. Our coaster is massive compared to Speed's basic elements.

Not forgetting that everything is sooo tight where as our coaster is spread out and is nice and flowing.[/quote]

Having recently looked at the constuction site, I'd actually say that SAW is more compact than Speed. If you look at the amount of land that it actually covers, its not that much and there are several areas where the ride overlaps with itself (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Speed has a higher drop, the vertical loop is far more intense than those found on other coasters, and the airtime hill after the 97 degree drop is an amazing sensation. I'm not saying SAW will be rubbish, it will be a great ride, but i think the actual track layout and ride elements are inferior to those of Speed, and i therefore think that it will be the theming and landscaping that makes this ride special. Speed (much as i love it) is almost completely unthemed, but the fact that the ride is so amazing means that this doesn't matter.
I've never ridden Rage so cant really compare that to SAW, but i think Speed will remain the best Eurofighter around, just because of the sheer height of the drop and the large scale of the ride
jonathan leake

[url=http://ww2.runnymede.gov.uk/home/latest ... an_lst.htm" target="_blank]http://ww2.runnymede.gov.uk/home/latest ... an_lst.htm[/url] Planning for a new buliding on the site where the themed sign was going to go.
Mankey

Probably shop or an ORP Booth... Looks okay.

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
Matt.C

I just looked at the full plan on that site you linked to, and phaor thats a big station building.
Johno

It's going to be a shop.
Corkscrewed

yeah, that size I'd expect it to be ORPs, it looks (If I'm reading the measurements right) to be a fairly small building.

:D
jonathan leake

Yea well it looks about the same sze as the Stealth photo buliding. But it location makes me think it will be a shop or a HB game thingy. Also has it been metioned that Samurai was metioned on south parks to be going back to mondal at the end of the season for a refit. This has not been confurmed though.

Edit: It has now been confurmed that samurai will be going back to Mondal over the closed season.
Vanessa Feltz

Well, I dont know if anyone's mentioned it yet, But if you go onto the Thorpe website it has the link to the minisite, but theres a picture of the drop as well... as a kind of artwork representation, and at the bottom of the drop, there is a large saw, which I believe to be from the movies. So am I right to think that this saw is going to be incorporated as a scenery item?

Hmmmmm...
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
Matt.C

Is it just a coincidence they are using the Saw 3 logo, with the 3 lines on the W elongated?
Dara

[quote=""jonathan leake""]Yea well it looks about the same sze as the Stealth photo buliding. But it location makes me think it will be a shop or a HB game thingy. Also has it been metioned that Samurai was metioned on south parks to be going back to mondal at the end of the season for a refit. This has not been confurmed though.

Edit: It has now been confurmed that samurai will be going back to Mondal over the closed season.[/quote]

Does this mean that the whole area around Saw including Samurai will now be part of Canada Creek?
Chris J

Yes, Saw will be part of Canada Creek. As Samurai/Lost City effectively cuts Canada Creek in half, Samurai is getting a retheme to become part of Canada Creek so the area is continuous.

Samurai shouldn't have been a Lost City ride in the first place anyway! That area of land had always been Canada Creek.
jonathan leake

Saw will be part of Canada Creek yes. Samurai is going to Mondal for a refit But it hasnt been conurmed if it will be kept the same or rethemed to fit wiv Canada Creek or moved to anouther part of he park.
Ash

Having gone back over the plans again today, this new coaster doesnt seem as it will be as impressive as i once hoped. No queueline buildings. And when you enter the main building you walk down a short corridor around 20ft, and up some stairs right into the batching area.

And during the 20ft walk downstairs you merely enter the station with a wall on one side and the corner before the inline twist on the other. No room for anything horiffic or scenes etc...?!

Dissapointing :(

It would of been great to see riders enter a old garage or outbuilding or something before the main building even if it only had a few video screens and a main piece of theming, a saw perhaps that sparked and came very close to those queueing. The video explains the ride and does the whole "moral judgement" thing, and then you encounter a low spinning saw later on in the ride as well.

We shall see
Chris J

Well, after the drop out of the station there is a break run inside the building up an incline.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of pre-show along this break run, as I can't see why they'd put breaks there otherwise, especially as there is an inversion immediately after it.