Heide Park

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Rollercoaster5000

They do appear to be trying in the UK with The Swarm, but as usual plans change and theming is cut. But their recent developments in Europe have been amazing in comparison to their recent UK developments so I would expect Merlin to pull their finger out with Heide since they do have serious competitors in Germany, and Raptor at Gardaland has been themed very well.
Islander

^I'd certainly agree that on paper Swarm looks to be right up there with other European developments, but as you mention, budgets get cut and things change. I'm reserving judgement until opening day, but I'd love Merlin to prove that they can pull it off.
Blaze

I'd expect Swarm to get through unscathed, the planning application had nothing to cause problems and the ride type is now proven, so there's nothing to lose budget to or anything.

It's great Krake is getting the rest of the theming that it was meant to, as well as the maze and all the rest.
[Archive]

This echoes the plans that Alton Towers and Chessington had in the late 80s/early 90s. (And the exact opposite of Thorpe Park's strategy until recently.) Theme is coming back into fashion, it seems...

Brilliant news for Krake, it shows that they regret the theming cuts but can actually be determined to put them right. I haven't heard of many post-opening changes like that before. If all goes well, Krake could become a totally different ride experience!
Last edited by [Archive] on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benzin

It's good to see that some park managers have their head's screwed on... As the lack of consistent theme was one of my least favourite things about Heide this year... Some areas looked really good (like Krake, Maya and Scream/Log Flume 2/Bobbahn) but some others were just so bland (Limit, Big Loop, the rest of the 'Pirate' area) or inconsistent (Colossos and Desert Race)...

Just hope they do it justice... And from what I've been told about the maze, it could be a very substanial and well themed one, even if it doesn't interest me...
Islander

Posted by Heide Park today on Facebook:
Heide Park wrote: Image
Today, our Miss Liberty takes its long journey and finds her new home in the Land of Forgotten!

Our Miss Liberty was being divided and the upper body is now ready for transport to their new home!

The first day of the move is done! Miss Liberty initially stayed on the shore of the lake, before the transport continues tomorrow.
(translations done by Google)

I see why you might think it looked tacky, Sam, but (in my opinion, at least), it actually worked really rather well. Sort of a focal point in the park, that (to me) didn't look tacky at all. Granted it didn't really fit in with any theme any more, but meh, I think it's a shame to see it gone.
AstroDan

Bury the lake?

Heide Park's lake is gorgeous!

:(
Dormiens-Dave

I'm really glad Merlin are going back to an existing ride and finishing the theme off, instead of leaving it half done like they did with Thirteen.
BigAl

When I first saw Krake completed I thought it looked awful but this is excellent news! I really disliked the drop and pool but the rest of the coaster is great and this addition looks like it will make this one of the best themed coasters I've seen. Merlin can make good coasters for Italy and Germany so I hope that this will continue over here with the Swarm and SW7. :)
AstroDan

Krake isn't that good a coaster. I went on and it was forceless, short and well... Didn't do a fat lot really.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Dylan

AstroDan wrote: Krake isn't that good a coaster. I went on and it was forceless, short and well... Didn't do a fat lot really.

I always hear fairly negative comments about the drops on Krake and Sheikra and if I'm honest they give the exact same sensation as Oblivion for me. Oblivion only seems more extreme due to the forceful pull out of the tunnel.
I can't say I enjoy one more than the other really.
Oblivion has drop then brakes. Krake has drop, followed by (admittedly) forceless splashdown + Immelman + bunny hop then brakes.

Will be great to see more theming on this though, which should hopefully make it the ride it was meant to be.
The maze sounds great too. Shame I'm probably not going to visit this park again for a significant period of time.
AstroDan

The noise on Oblivion adds bucketloads. The enclosed base on Krake will hopefully add to it next year.

AdrenalineAlex

The tunnel I believe will definitely enhance the ride and hopefully will give it a lot better reviews, it's one of those things where you have your hands up and then you feel the need to pull your hands down so they don't get cut off, looking forward to seeing it finished! :)
ATJoseph

wait a second if its going to go through the mouth how are they going to come out surely squids dont have bums?
Cariba

ATJoseph wrote: wait a second if its going to go through the mouth how are they going to come out surely squids dont have bums?
DiogoJ42

All animals have some kind of "bum". What goes in, must come out!
BigAl

Wow. :l

Well you're strapped into a heavy dive machine so you'd probably smash straight through it anyway if that was actually the case. Erm. Anyway... when does work get under way on adding this theming?
ATJoseph

sorry about that i was just thinking of how they were going to make it leave the creature  :|
Blaze

Now I don't want to blow your mind or anything, but...

It's not a real monster, it's a tunnel.
Dormiens-Dave

Blaze wrote: Now I don't want to blow your mind or anything, but...

It's not a real monster, it's a tunnel.
Ohh i wish i couldo thank that :)

I believe in origional plans the car exited through some destroyed ship type theming, there certainly wasn't a huge Krake anus :)

If you really want to blow your mind consider how you enter and exit the Nemesis monster :D