The London Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Danny

I believe he is stating that to reach its expected annual visitor numbers, that is what they would need. They aren't getting any of that.

I know it's not much to go by, but there is a wooden coaster in the concepts! :D I think this park is a definite and will be created, whether or not it will be changed or pushed back I'm not sure, but think this is looking incredibly likely. And it looks amazing!
Nathan_Fisher

DannyG wrote:I believe he is stating that to reach its expected annual visitor numbers, that is what they would need. They aren't getting any of that.

I know it's not much to go by, but there is a wooden coaster in the concepts! :D I think this park is a definite and will be created, whether or not it will be changed or pushed back I'm not sure, but think this is looking incredibly likely. And it looks amazing!
A wooden coaster would be amazing, however its only the concepts, with it being a park based around film and TV hopefully there will be a range of dark rides aswell as bigger thrill rides. Plans suggest construction will start in late 2016 (providing everything runs smoothly). I don't know much about construction times on projects like this, but is just over 3 years enough to build a project this big?
sw7nutter

It states opening by 2020 in the spring/summer. Also i would like to point out that all those things listed about transportation is pretty much what they are getting with the exception of its own private airport. But to make up for that they are going to have a water ferry. This park is absolutely massive and they know that transport is key. The document outlines many things they are doing to ease congestion even stating possible opening and closing times in the forms of graphs. 9am-10pm on weekends is what the document states if they are going to have peak periods of traffic in the times where it is currently the emptiest.
A wooden coaster does keep appearing in the concepts so they must have some sort of idea of having one, also in the concept there looks like a B&M hyper. If the park had both of those it would be epic. a B&M and a woodie 45 mins away. I feel I should start throwing my money at it now.
Danny

You say all this claiming it as fact. So far all we can go by is early stages of planning. Everything in there is what they want, most probably that will be totally different from what they get.
sw7nutter

The transport links will be almost identical to what they will build. Building the required infrastructure will be the only way to get planning permission granted. So saying that as almost fact is pretty much given. The rest I wasn't claiming as fact hence why i said in the concept images.
Nathan_Fisher

The image showing the Star Terk attraction is very detailed, just like all the others. I wouldn't be suprised if this was a take on Space Mountain as found at Disney Parks.
themealgang

Interesting to hear the plans and at the stage, everything is looking positive.

It almost doesn't feel right that something on this scale could be coming to the UK. I love the look of the concept art and the StarTrek coaster does look wonderful. I am also very curious to the woodie that's in the background.. it looks huge.

At least it confirms something, there will be around twelve major draws with plans to expand. The UK may finally be getting a theme park that will compete on the world stage and may just give Universal and DLP a run for their money. Lets hope it continues to remain positive.
Themeparksandy1981

Well they hope to start work on the Spain park after the new year and they hope to get it open in 2017. So I guess 2020 is a good planned date for the London park.
sw7nutter

PP has signed a deal with the BBC to use its major IP's such as doctor who and top gear.
Ladyofthelake

As sw7nutter mentioned above, London Resort Company Holdings - the company behind London Paramount - have announced a 'development agreement' to look at using BBC IPs in Paramount Park. This agreement is the first step to a full partnership and will allow both sides to look at the potential options. SouthParks news page carries more details on the agreement: http://www.southparks.co.uk/2014/12/10/ ... worldwide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This certainly opens up a whole new range of possibilities for Paramount. I have to admit I was a little concerned about all the attractions being based on Paramount films as many of the IPs like The Godfather and Italian Job are old now and, even though they're still viewed in high regard, would have made it a struggle to maintain some of the appeal. The BBC partnership will hopefully bring much more balance to the themes featured on the rides and attractions. I have to say I do like that the developers are keen to have a heavy British presence amongst the chosen IPs rather than just going for all Hollywood blockbusters.
Aidan Lowe

For someone who doesn't care for any BBC IP this is somewhat a blow for me, but it will be a much needed addition to the country and a lot of people around the world care for the likes of Sherlock, Who, Top Gear etc and for that I am thankful as it will create a lot of jobs and bring more people to the country.

For the moviegoers they have a huge arsenal for interactive rides imo.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Dom

I kind of agree with you Andy. It does sort of feel like a let down choosing the BBC IP, but i can see why they did it. It will give the park a more British feel then an American feel given that the only other 'movie park' i know of is Universal and everyone knows how American that it. So if done right, it could be a big positive. Plus it gives Merlin a big kick up the backside, but not necessarily in the right way. They could go all out on IP's given that PP will probably become IP capital of the UK :lol
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Just to clarify, the park would be a mix of BBC and Paramount IPs (and possibly more if any other agreements are made).
Dom

Someone better tell all the articles that. A lot are calling it a BBC Theme Park.
abigsmurf

It's actually pretty Smart of them going after BBC properties.

Looking at the branding they've shown and the theming of the entrance zone, they're really pushing the "London" side of things. It looks like they're going after the tourist money hard. With the transport links it will have, they'll be banking on tourists spending a few days in london then coming to the park for a day (or even staying at the resort the whole time and day tripping into central London).

Top Gear, Doctor Who, Sherlock are all massive international properties that would be a unique draw to the park and would highlight the Britishness.
mark_h

Some of the pictures on Southparks show, what look to be, fairly large buildings and an undercover street scene.

If they are clever with the planning of the park they could have some of the park open year round. The other attractions mentioned on the map in the link above would be year round and could provide a full day of entertainment even if most of the outdoor part of the park is closed.

The rest of the plans for the resort look ambitious with Europe's largest indoor water park, a 2000 seater theatre (bigger than most of the West End theatres), 5000 hotel rooms (London's largest hotel has 1630 rooms, Disneyland Paris has about 5500 rooms) and an arena capable of holding 30,000 for a film premier.

-----

Their development timeline shows the grand opening in Easter 2020, with construction starting in winter 2016. A bit over 3 years will only be enough time to construct a fraction of the intended park so at the time of opening it will have far fewer rides and attractions than promised.

The developers would want to avoid a EuroDisney like opening where there were few attractions (and customers) with a large amount of debt to deal with.

It will be interesting to see how much of the proposed London Paramount Resort gets built and when.
Speedy_no1

Just found this on Facebook ImageImageImageImage
There hoping to have it open in 2018 !!!
Ha ha good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheBeast

I agree- theres too much to be done for 2018. Id say they were hedging their bets a little for 2020, although they could do it
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

On their website they state that they intend to open the park for Easter 2020. Here's the timeline...

Ladyofthelake

SouthParks have just posted a London Paramount update which includes a few rather interesting bits and pieces.

The developers have agreed a deal to secure some of the land for the resort which is a huge step towards ensuring the project can progress should planning permission be granted. I would have thought that the developers wouldn't have made this kind of deal unless they were confident of the plans getting the go ahead - dare we assume this is looking like it will happen?

There's also a few rather interesting details about what we could see in the resort. One thing I noticed in particular was the mention of a daily parade which to me almost suggests a Disney-esque approach to the park. In the evening will also be a show with a 300 strong cast. 300 is a huge number of actors to have in one show - it really shows the sheer ambition of this project and it will certainly be like nothing we have ever seen in this country.

I know the next round of consultations are due soon so I can't wait to see what else is revealed when they happen in the spring.