UK's Tallest ride to be constructed in London

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Deleted

Mellors Group Amusements from Nottingham are to install the UK's tallest ride in London next to the London Eye.

In case you don't know anything about Mellors Group they now own the ex American Adventure Mine Train, sold the River Rapids ride to Lightwater Valley and have owned numerous huge rides in the past like:-

Big Ben Tower (Zamperla Shot and Drop Tower)
Space Roller (Mondial Topscan)
Crazy Shake (Nottingham UK Shake n Roll)
Frisbee (Fabbri Frisbee)
And x2 Huge Observation Wheels.

This fantastic ride from Austria which is being specially adapted into becoming the tallest mobile attraction in the UK. This illuminated ride will tower an enormous 67m into the air and undoubtedly provide a beacon like attraction for any venue. The Star Flyer base occupies a modest 19m by 19m footprint and will accommodate 24 passengers on 12 double-seater swings. The photos show the ride as a fixed attraction.

The ride will be situated on the area next to the wheel where previous rides have been in the past.
PeteB

There's one of these in Florida. Seriously scary being that high up on swings lol!
bensaund

Will this be Merlin, its next to the Eye, Aquarium and next year the Dungeons...
If you go down to the woods today
SwEDEN

Do we know if it's getting a paint and a bit of a spouse up before it's officially up?
Deleted

bensaund wrote: Will this be Merlin, its next to the Eye, Aquarium and next year the Dungeons...
I think I quoted enough information about the new owners in the first 3 paragraphs! :P
Deleted

Update: The starflyer is going to "Festival of the World" http://world.southbankcentre.co.uk/

And will be joined with a re-themed and re-brand of Mellors Wild Mouse coaster in tribute to The Cyclone at Coney Island!
The Terminator

Well twirling toadstools is enough for me, being a larger person I'm always worried the chains are going to break.
I WILL be back
haydn!

This is currently up and testing at Mellors Nottingham yard. I caught a pretty naff picture of it on my phone a few days back.

And to confirm, it's currently still in the blue/white paint job as pictured  :)
Last edited by haydn! on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pennywise

Where exactly is this to be situated? I was under the impression that the skyline along the Thames, particularly around the area of the Eye, was well protected in terms of planning permission being difficult... and this ride isn't exactly small. Surely there are issues regarding getting consent for planning? Unless the ride being a temporary structure alters this?
Adz
Admin
Admin

Similar rides have already been set up in the same position. As it is a temporary non fixed installation it doesn't require any form of planning consent.

Curiously another smaller version of this ride is currently going up next to the o2. Spotted it from the Emirates Airline on Friday.
SwEDEN

Adz wrote:
Curiously another smaller version of this ride is currently going up next to the o2. Spotted it from the Emirates Airline on Friday.
Would that be the Zamperla Twister by any chance? Just asking as I have seen it previously operating at the o2 and would love to see it's return.

http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1296
MattsDesigns

Thats not bad for little old london I suppose (comparing to Vegas or something). Through put is quite limited though.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
HFantasma

Went to Wonderground tonight and went on this ride. There's this and the Cyclone Coaster you could buy a ticket for both at the grand sum of £10!
I enjoyed the ride it wasn't especially fast but wonderfully high and gave great views of London!
The only downside to this was the time of ride you got, I didn't time it but it was basically you go up and spin a few times then back down again and barely have time to really enjoy it. was it worth £5? For the feel and views it would have been if it was longer! I do like Mellors rides but felt they were taking the mick with the ride time with this.
I would recommend a go on it if you're around the area though!
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!
JaykeAT

I was on this the other day,it's proper spooky
RollercoasterGEEK100

Might aswell start a mini theme park next to the L' Eye.

Credit to NemesisRider
Mattjellis

I remember when James mellor announced tat he would build a 100 foot robin hood in Nottingham with a restaurant in his belt and a observation deck in his head. Local hero, he owns a field near me aptly named mellors field and stores his travelling rides on their, my dad used to know him and apparently the king of saudi Arabia once asked him to bring his travelling fair to him.
Deleted

Mellors own a plentiful of place around Nottingham including several places in the Arnold area.
MattsDesigns

Mattjellis wrote: I remember when James mellor announced tat he would build a 100 foot robin hood in Nottingham with a restaurant in his belt and a observation deck in his head.
100 foot, hahahaha.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Marcus

This is abit late but how high is it and how much is it to go on.
Adz
Admin
Admin

As far as I'm aware it is open until 30th September. Prices start from £5.

It's 67M tall as stated in the first post of the topic.