Walt Disney World General Discussion

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Rowe

When I went to Magic Kingdom a few years back, I really wanted to meet Snow White (No reason, by the way) but I ended up having a picture taken with Mickey Mouse in Toontown-place.
And yes I do agree, the Muppets are surprising.
altontowerskid

Wow that looks even better than that Dinosaur they have walking around. Just shows Disney are keeping up with the technology of today. I have seen the dinosaur (he has a name, i forgot it) and i though it was very clever but it didn't really interact with the crowd as much as this one did! Im impressed and i'll be sure to check him out sometime! :D
popTART

I just saw this article on Yahoo.
A British teenager is suing Disney after she suffered a heart attack on one of its rollercoasters.

Leanne Deacon was 16 when she collapsed after riding the Tower of Terror at Disney-MGM studios in Florida. After getting off the ride the schoolgirl complained of feeling shaky and light-headed and when paramedics were called her condition deteriorated further.

Leanne's heart stopped on her way to the hospital and when resuscitated she suffered a stroke before falling into a coma. Despite extensive surgery, the youngster suffered brain damage, meaning she can no longer speak and needs round-the-clock care.

Three years on, Ms Deacon, 19, and her mother have filed a lawsuit in the United States seeking £10,000 worth of damages. They claim that Disney was negligent in the design and operation of the attraction and that the company did not provide adequate safety restraints.

The lawsuit's argument is that Disney was operating the ride as a ‘common carrier', which invokes a legal doctrine that would impose tougher liability standards in court than Florida theme park companies usually are asked to meet.

Tower of Terror thrill-seekers ride in a ‘hotel lift' that zooms up to almost 200ft and then plunges down. After the incident Disney shut down the ride to carry a full safety check but it was deemed safe and reopened soon after.

The lawsuit says that Leanne was fit and active before visiting the attraction.

It's quite an unusual story. If this lawsuit is successful it could change the way that theme parks operate, some commentators have said it could even lead to people needing to take medical tests prior to riding the more "exhilarating" attractions.

Would that be a good preventative measure or further proof a cotton-wool society? Jury's out.
[url=http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blog/editors_c ... cle/15905/" target="_blank]http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blog/editors_c ... cle/15905/[/url]
Chris W

Its hardly Disney's fault, there are more extreme rides out there.
Millions and Millions of people have rode the 4 different TOT's across the world and this sort of thing isn't a regular occurance.

Obviously I feel sorry for the girl and the family as they are unlucky that this has happened to her.

I'm surprised its only 10,000, thats not a lot of money. I expect Disney to settle out of court.
popTART

Thats a drop in the bucket compared to what they make
Anonymous

Is this the girlfriend of the 13yr old father from the paper?

Needs some more pocket money to bring their baby up I reckon.
Joe Koopa

:shock: Again, it is hardly disney's fault, just like with Oakwood where it was really the ride op's fault.

Anyway, TOT is hardly the world's scariest ride, and I'd hate to have a health-test everytime I ride Oblivion or Nemesis. :roll:
haydn!

Well as long as Disney have the normal signs outside the rides entrance; the ones that say stuff like people with bad backs or people with heart conditions shouldn't ride, etc, and strobe lighting may be used on this ride they'll be fine.

I can't see this even getting to court. Disney would most likely settle out of court, as any legal battle involving the mouse is likely to cost ten times the request £10,000 in legal fee's!
DiogoJ42

I would like to think this gets thrown out of court. It's not like the ride broke down, she just couldn't hack the fear.

No offense to the girl or her family, but this just seems like money grabbing to me.

Whoever came up with the idea of litigation should be sued!
caffeine_demon

hmmm - let's see mow...

The ride has been open for nearly 15 years, other tower of terror rides have also been open for almost 10 yrs combined. 1000's of people each day ride each of these.

We have this 1 incident. Yep - must be inadequate restraints!
DiogoJ42

Do all TOT rides have the same lap belt?
'Cos I have to be honest here, that's what put me off riding the one in Paris. I like to be held in by something solid.
Bolton Warrior

[quote=""caffeine_demon""]hmmm - let's see mow...

The ride has been open for nearly 15 years, other tower of terror rides have also been open for almost 10 yrs combined. 1000's of people each day ride each of these.

We have this 1 incident. Yep - must be inadequate restraints![/quote]
Exactly.

The restraints are fine on TOT, it is a shame for her but it was bad luck more than anything else.
Chris W

I cannot speak for Tokyo but I know California and Paris use the same belts. (Smiliar to Star Tours restraints for people who haven't rode TOT yet)

In Florida when the ride first opened they didn't have any restraints!
cubwolf

A more detailed report can be found here
[url=http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/n ... ticle.html" target="_blank]http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/n ... ticle.html[/url]
amylovesaltontowers

Medical tests before riding would be a bit extreme.
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'
caffeine_demon

"The lawsuit says that Leanne was fit and active before visiting the attraction."

Unfortunately this is no guarantee that there is nothing wrong with you - I know ofg several cases when people have suffered strokes etc, where the previous day they'd have been described as fit and healthy
amylovesaltontowers

She obviously feels angry with the park and she has every reason to be, but if what they are saying should happen on the article does actually happen then the future of theme parks will just be ridiculous.
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'
Crofty

I remember this being reported on the forum when it originally happened. I'm sure there was something strange in the case, didn't she ride TOT the same day as they arrived in Florida? This could point the finger at any number of reasons why she fell i'll(if true).
I find it very odd that they are only seeking to claim £10,000. If my child had to have around the clock care for the rest of her life i'd be asking for a hell of a lot more than that, it probably would even cover a years worth of cover anyway.
The lawsuit's argument is that Disney was operating the ride as a ‘common carrier'
This is confusing, Are the claimants suggesting that the ride should be treated as if it were a real life transportation device? A coach trip, traverlator or indeed a hotel lift? If this is the case then surely no warning would need to be given to riders, so the rider could claim she wouldn't have ridden had she known it was a 200foot ride. I doubt this would stand in court however as it's clear to see what the ride is about never mind the numerous warnings you get when you get into the building.
popTART

Every ride has to have warnings that certain people should not ride it. Its to advise people aswell as cover themselfs. It seems to me they are angry and lashing out at Disney and also because they make loads of money i guess they think that Disney will settle out of court to avoid more bad press.
TB2

Their common carrier claim doesn't really stand up as they had ridden it several times before and knew what it did.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion