Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
RollercoasterGEEK100

I'd cry if we didnt get a B&M hyper because the UK needs more B&M's
Last edited by RollercoasterGEEK100 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to NemesisRider
nickhutson

It will never happen - not with Thorpe's height limit.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Coasteraddict

BigAl wrote: Well they've probably got something in-mind. But it's still three years away, so that idea will probably change a bit before 2015.
Thing is I've heard that they can build above 200ft again after 2016 as part of the stealth deal was the top had to be white and you couldn't build that tall again for 10 years so could it be a good idea to postpone the new coaster by a year while they sort out the parks infrastructure? I dunno though could be a load of crap.

Anyway I was thinking more like this:
[youtube][/youtube]

However if/when we do get a hyper like this or La ronde's goliath it has to go round the back of the park IMO, and I'm hoping getting rid of fungle and the train is in prep for this.

Another option is a Dive machine/Flyer as they'd offer something different, imagine a pretzle loop around the bridge into the park  :shock:

Nick they can build up to 50m for this ride ;)
nickhutson

thus making it not a hyper coaster!  Shame, really...
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
BigAl

There's nothing wrong with a B&M mega coaster though. A mega and a hyper offer the same experience, it's just that one is bigger. Bigger doesn't always mean better either.

:)
Islander

nickhutson wrote: thus making it not a hyper coaster!  Shame, really...
Well, perhaps not. As Wardley pointed out so elegantly on Saturday, bigger/taller/faster isn't always better. Give them a challenging set of restrictions, and a masterpiece might just be born :)
DiogoJ42

I'd much rather an Intamin than a B&M.... even though I prefer Silver Star to EGF! :lol: Logic? Never heard of it.
BigAl

How about a Mack mega coaster with a Maverick style high-speed lift?
RollercoasterGEEK100

Al I like that idea. I also like the idea someone mentioned involving a pretzel loop over the bridge.  :shock:
Last edited by RollercoasterGEEK100 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to NemesisRider
Coasteraddict

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: Al I like that idea. I also like the idea someone mentioned involving a pretzel loop over the bridge.  :shock:
Yes it's been a fantasy of mine for a while now, doubt it will ever happen and doubt it CAN happen but here's to hoping.

I don't really think i desire a new coaster at Thorpe, it's feeling too much like a themed Six Flags park, not something I want, but a dark ride wouldn't really work there in my mind.

Having said that I have no enthusiasm for Thorpe
BigAl

A themed version of Six Flags isn't all bad. If the theming at Six Flags parks was half as good as some of their many coasters, they'd be pretty awesome parks. And such a park is exactly what the UK needs to have. There are far too many small parks / parks that only install small rides / cheap fairground style rides.
RollercoasterGEEK100

In all honesty england will get massive parks probably after 2015. I dont see why just cos where small we can have massive parks. Height limits dont matter make the theme park in a massive trech and plus merlin is in with B&M so it looks like the UK will become like the USA theme parks. ;)

Credit to NemesisRider
Cariba

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: In all honesty england will get massive parks probably after 2015. I dont see why just cos where small we can have massive parks. Height limits dont matter make the theme park in a massive trech and plus merlin is in with B&M so it looks like the UK will become like the USA theme parks. ;)
What the hell are you on about?
The size of a country has nothing to do with the size of its theme parks. Merlin isn't in with B&M more than any other B&M customer. And a theme park in a trench ](*,)

If the coaster is on island A or E (or whatever they're called) I can't see how it will be a hyper. If we do get one, which I kind of hope we don't, it'll be round the back of the park like previously rumoured. However I always thought that the MTDP stated that the 2 coasters (Swarm & 2015) will be on the artificial islands, and I doubt that the council would allow a huge 200ft+ coaster to be built.

Personally I'd like to see the plans for a wooden rollercoaster revived, but given how unlikely that seems, something unique. Hypers look dull in my opinion, a good rollercoaster should combine airtime, inversions, speed, etc. Why not a floorless?
BigAl

Thorpe can't build a hyper coaster for the next coaster any way, but they can build a mega coaster. They seem to go down well with many other people on here (Silver Star being the most obvious example) any way. B&M mega or hyper coasters offer a completely different experience to anything at Thorpe (or even the UK really) too. I'd like a woodie as that would be unique at Thorpe as well, but Merlin don't want to build a woodie (at the moment anyway). :/
Cariba

But would a mega/hyper represent a good investment? Given that theme park marketing seems to focus on things like speed, inversion count or firsts, a mega would only be a UK first.

I would have thought that Thorpe would want a star coaster to complement Swarm, and for me at least a mega wouldn't do that. Don't get me wrong, it would probably still be a really good ride and I wouldn't pass up the chance to ride one, but there are other types of rollercoaster I'd rather see built instead.

Ironically something like an Intamin wooden would be perfect, if it weren't for Merlin's general dislike of the idea.
BigAl

But mega coaster can get plenty of speed and B&M can design a more intense version for Thorpe if need be. Also, the Swarm is only a UK first and that has gone down okay with most people. Look at Nemesis. Nemesis wasn't a world first, but I'd take that over any world first coaster.

I agree that an Intamin woodie would be good at Thorpe. They pack airtime and are intense too. The whole package would be unique and thrilling. We can live in hope. :P
RollercoasterGEEK100

Yes. B&M mega coaster sounds better. Myself. A woodie should be in canadas creek not for 2015. Also. How much will thorpe park extend? If we are getting loads of B&M fanyastic altough i would like a rollercoaster like Kumba.

Credit to NemesisRider
Coasteraddict

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: Yes. B&M mega coaster sounds better. Myself. A woodie should be in canadas creek not for 2015. Also. How much will thorpe park extend? If we are getting loads of B&M fanyastic altough i would like a rollercoaster like Kumba.
WTF are you on mate? A B&M hyper/mega (whatever, if you want to be pedantic  :evil:) would easily be a star coaster at Thorpe for the following:
  • Imposing? Check
  • High throughput (something Thorpe desperately need)? check
  • Airtime (again something Thorpe desperately need)? Check
  • Reliability (same again)? Check
  • Take up a small amount of space (something Thorpe lacks, can be built around the back of the park)? Check
  • Iconic (for long lasting appeal) Check as you can't get much more iconic than a 165ft ride the surrounds the park (we can actually go all the way to 300ft, but that's unrealistic)
And how are you going to get a Woodie into the creek now Saw (POS) is there? Thorpe park will extend to as far as they can, it's small enough as it is. You want something like Kumba? when we have Colossus?  :x

TBH BigAl I'm desperate for any wood at any park as 14 years is far to long, especially considering the remoteness of said ride.
BigAl

Something like Kumba would be good but Thorpe already have Colossus for all your basic sitdown looper needs. :P
RollercoasterGEEK100

:oops:

Credit to NemesisRider