Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Nathan_Fisher

The possible maze style exit would suit the experience very well i think, providing that this element is of a high quality with actors being present on every run through to make the addition worthwhile. I definitely don't want to see what can happen at fright nights with 'bad run throughs' especially with this being a permanent attraction.
Altontowersbarlow

Justin wrote:I've said this too. Baggage will go, photos will be moved, therefore making a large enough space for a new scene. Personally, I still stand by the idea that it will be used as a maze style exit, similar to Sub Terra at Alton to give it a final kick as you leave!
I would agree with you there and I personally think that a maze style exit would be fantastic. Lots of the negative reviews revolved around the idea that the experience ended poorly with the green gas sequence, but by adding an extra adrenaline- building section at the end of the experience, this would no longer allow people to leave on a low or confused. Derren Brown did however say that he didn't like scaring people outright so if this addition is scare based, it certainly wouldn't of been his decision.
I'm yet to experience the attraction and therefore cant comment on the whole thing, but it is encouraging to me that Thorpe Park are exploring new options with the ride (whatever that turns out to be) and investing in it less than a year after the original investment. It seems like they care about this ride and want it to continue to draw in an audience.
Ladyofthelake

Now you see I have to disagree. I really don't think that adding a scaremaze section onto the end of the ride would add anything to it. If anything it would risk feeling incredibly disjointed - especially if you got the ending which said the ride was over as others have previously mentioned. Whilst a maze type exit would inevitably be well staffed to start with the danger would be that as time went on there would be fewer and fewer staff in there which would detract from the attraction. Whilst it is good to see Thorpe continuing to invest in it I do have to ask if this would be needed had they been able to fully implement the attraction as planned this year, and if this new investment is really being spent in the right way.
Owen

I didn't realise there were other endings that didn't state the ride was over, odd.

I agree with Lakey here - adding a maze section would completely change how the ride is supposed to make you feel after experiencing it, and for the worse in my opinion. Something like a final scene where Derren congratulates you would work as he does say in the pre-show
Spoiler
"I'll see you on the other side"

which to me currently doesn't make sense as we don't. In regards to the resort continuing to invest in this attraction, I believe this was always their intention regardless if this years version of the experience isn't finished, as this was stated in a news report before the attraction had opened.
Justin

With regards to the above, this relates to the countdown.

As it stands, I think a lot of enthusiasts and GP were expecting a lot more... to be honest, I was!
I believe the ride doesn't connect together well, and I fed this back during testing via the evaluation forms. To me it feels clunky. It doesn't flow or makes any sense (storyline). Scares lack greatly for me and it feels more like a sit down. The first section is the most entertaining but after this, the pace slows down. There is no urgency and it drags. I'd personally like that final kick!

I have trust though that this attraction will become a spectacular addition to the park. It just needs tweeking over the closed season. Hopefully the extension comes into play, improving the experience for all!
Owen

Thorpe Park Facebook have uodated their Facebook cover image to promote the new experience!

lewis97
Admin
Admin

As mentioned on SouthParks Facebook, Merlin have filed a UK trademark for Rise of the Demon which could be linked to the new 2017 DBGT destination.
Dom

God I hope it is actually for DBGT. We might finally get to see the animatronic demon Derren posed with in pictures to advertise the ride
ThemeCrafter264

Or it could just be the vr experience at gardaland :lol
Ladyofthelake

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Or it could just be the vr experience at gardaland :lol
As it's a UK trademark that means it will be used for something in this country. Unless Merlin also file the trademark in the EU then it will not be used at a foreign attraction.
Morgan

After a quick search, I've stumbled across some of the original posters that are stuck onto the facade.
http://eddmusgrove.com/derren-browns-ghost-train" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Owen

Indeed, this company has done a fair few projects for Merlin over the years. They certainly offer a good service!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Thorpe posted a short video on Facebook yesterday which reinforces the idea that the new destination will revolve around the demon (and maybe bunnies ;))...
Dom

Those bunnies are scary :lol

If it is demon related it feels kind of a let down. We've already got them, sort of. I was really hoping for something with a bit more umph so to speak. I will, however withhold full judgement until i've experienced the new destination.
Owen

I am fine with it being demon related as long as they're a bit scarier than the current ones and make more sense to the overall story! :)

Although if there is a lack of a bunny attack on the tube I will be sorely disappointed...
lewis97
Admin
Admin

There seem to be a number of articles today suggesting the video is an advert which has been banned from being shown on TV over the Christmas weekend, including this one from ITV. I imagine this is a PR stunt type thing rather than a formal ban as the video doesn't appear to be of TV commercial quality.

The new destination is also now being advertised on the Thorpe Breaks website, which, among content which has been seen previously, also features this new paragraph giving an indication of what's to come:
Unleashed from the dark are unseen characters, thrilling physical effects and more intense live action.
The 'unseen characters' are presumably the remaining VR journeys and possibly the other ending, 'physical effects' could refer to some of the features we know the train has but are yet to be utilised (e.g. self-steaming windows, leg ticklers) as well as potentially the extension to the end of the experience, whilst 'more intense live action' would suggest the addition of another live scene, which would logically form part of the extension to the attraction.
JonDoesTT

I just hope they make a lot scarier than it is now. The atmosphere it builds is incredible, but nothing really scared me while I was actually wearing the VR headset or during the live action scene. I absolutely loved it, but I would like to see more during the experience and be actually scared, which hopefully this update will provide

Credit to NemesisRider
Luce

It'll be interesting to see how this new section is incorporated into the whole experience as before the different elements fitted together, but I am excited to see them making alterations and hope that the technology aspect is also worked on over the closed season.
JonDoesTT

Just a rumour, but a HTC Vive 2 is apparently coming soon.

(Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-re ... -ces-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

What would Thorpe do with DBGT? Would they add the Vive 2 or keep the old outdated technology? It would make sense if they upgraded, but it would cost them a LOT of money.

EDIT: Turns out it's fake, but if there was a Vive 2, what would they do?

Credit to NemesisRider
Dom

As reported on SouthParks Facebook Page (And on twitter) Thorpe Park will be making an announcement regarding the new destination soon.