Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
timmy1372

Was it closed today also?
rolicoli8

I think that if there's an issue with the VR, it would most likely be in the PC that controls the headset rather than the headset itself overheating. There's 58 individual PCs in each train, all heating up the train, and that would likely cause issues depending on how well the PCs cope with running for long periods of time and overheating.
mark_h

rolicoli8 wrote:There's 58 individual PCs in each train
That's a lot to turn off and on again.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Thorpe are once again saying that DBGT will be closed today, although it will be interesting to see if it opens towards the end of the day like before and this is more of a precautionary statement. After all, guests will take it opening after being told it wouldn't better than being given hope that it could open at the end of the day with it then remaining closed.
Justin

Did it open?

To be honest, I'd prefer them to say it was unavailable for the day, instead of them saying that it will open later on. I think this is a wise decision, if intentional?
JonDoesTT

rolicoli8 wrote:I think that if there's an issue with the VR, it would most likely be in the PC that controls the headset rather than the headset itself overheating. There's 58 individual PCs in each train, all heating up the train, and that would likely cause issues depending on how well the PCs cope with running for long periods of time and overheating.
simple fix: water cooling.
It's annoying that they keep having technical issues that means the attraction has to be closed all day. It's probably annoying for them too, but nowhere near as annoying as it is for people who've traveled hours to ride it and not been able to.

Credit to NemesisRider
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Justin wrote:Did it open?
Don't think so and it appears to have gone down today too.
iamradam
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

Unavailable today, hoping it will open later, still haven't been on it this year :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NemesisRider

It seems Derren Brown's Ghost Train is about as reliable as Southern Rail ;)
Justin

This really should be sounding alarm bells at Merlin HQ. Although we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, I hope they are investigating the matter with thoroughly from above and not just leaving it to THORPE PARK technical department.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Seems the Daily Mail have picked up on the fracking element of DBGT, claiming it to be 'brainwashing teenagers into opposing fracking' in an article - there are spoilers for those who are still being wary. As a sidenote, it would seem the Daily Mail are also TTSP readers, with them quoting JonDoesTT's post at the end in reference to the issues it's been experiencing in recent days.
JonDoesTT

lewis97 wrote:As a sidenote, it would seem the Daily Mail are also TTSP readers, with them quoting JonDoesTT's post at the end in reference to the issues it's been experiencing in recent days.
I'm a bit annoyed about this, they didn't ask. I'd have preferred to have been told they were gonna use something I said :/

Credit to NemesisRider
iamradam
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

An attendant at guest services (a DBGT actor left idle for the day) was trying to keep the line calm and said they don't expect the ride to open until at least Thursday. It's a recurring fault and they're keeping it closed to fix it.

rolicoli8

If it's going to be closed until Thursday, I'd expect them to put a notice on the website like they currently have for Stealth warning guests about it before they come.
Altontowersbarlow

iamradam wrote:An attendant at guest services (a DBGT actor left idle for the day) was trying to keep the line calm and said they don't expect the ride to open until at least Thursday. It's a recurring fault and they're keeping it closed to fix it.

Well at least they are looking to the future of the attraction and sorting out problems that may hinder its operations regularly. This may not be positive in the short term but it certainly is in the long term.
Horras64

Thorpe Park have updated their facebook page cover photo to longer say "Now Open" on the Ghost Train image.
Justin

I noticed that earlier. They have also updated their website ticker with the following...

"+++ Please note: Stealth and Derren Brown's Ghost Train are currently unavailable +++"

Hopefully this will ease some of the pressure and allow the problems to be fully investigated.
greendevil0214

I was on site yesterday (17th Aug.) And a staff member outside dbgt said they were hoping for it to be open at the weekend
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Thorpe have updated their FAQs to address DBGT's current unavailability. Interestingly the 'Planned Closures' FAQ says the following; "If you’ve booked your ticket to come down specifically for the Ghost Train and Stealth this week (17 – 21st August)...", perhaps suggesting that they expect it to remain closed until at least Monday.
ThemeParkEwan

Me and my friends have decided not to visit Thorpe this Saturday since DBGT will most likely be shut along with Stealth, I went on July 10th and it had a power cut and closed, won't be able to ride til September now and didnt even get decent compensation, only a priority pass for each annual pass holder.

Definetely sounds like a VR issue after all the problems with Galactica