Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Horras64

lewis97 wrote:Today's presentation also offered another tidbit of information, in that it was stated that although you board what looks like a Victorian train carriage from the exterior, you find that you're actually in a London Underground carriage upon boarding...
This could help with the different journeys of the experience, I had stated previously that it might be like a subway carriage with little sections of seats, again with the math, it would work out if each little section, OR between each door, there would be a different experience. And the likelihood of you sitting in the exact same section would be unlikely. But, if derren's statement holds true for this area, and you and friends all ride undergoing a different experience, how do you think they would go about separating people, as I would think this would cause disruption among riders. Your thoughts? I'm probably wrong and it wouldn't turn out like that but, you never know.

Update : Just had a look at the document, and no luck. There is no downloadable presentation and therefore they must of been removed or will soon be available. (Or I'm super dumb)
Aidan Lowe

lewis97 wrote:Today's presentation also offered another tidbit of information, in that it was stated that although you board what looks like a Victorian train carriage from the exterior, you find that you're actually in a London Underground carriage upon boarding...
Which makes the whole Victorian feel irrelevant.

I thought this was odd when seeing the VR picture.. the carriage & building is aged & Victorian while the experience & VR is modern. Literally made the face you see in my profile picture.

I'm going to wait until reviews of this attraction before making a journey down.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Chukensky

http://www.investis-live.com/merlin-ent ... 57586/pr15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skip through to 1:19:30
Horras64

Now looking at the images, it only seems that 1 of the images actually represents the content of the Ghost Train, I think the others are to show the quality. And thankyou Chukensky.
iamradam
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

I found the PowerPoint slides rather quickly and have to say the VR scenes have totally thrown me off-guard... Could be a rather interesting experience...
Horras64

I decided to do some math today into whether the five seater 'thing' on a subway would work given the dimensions of the train being 20m long (from the press release, I explain the Minds Wanted dimensions below) I found out that the average size seat for a subway seat is from 0.4m to 0.5m, I have decided to take an average of 0.45m per seat. If we go by 30 seats on each side of the carriage, a total of 13.5m approximately would take up the space of the long side of the train. the other 6.5m? Well I found out the average width of a subway door is 1.4m, for rides sake I'll say 1.5. 6.5/1.5 came to around 4.5. This means there would be approximately 4.5 doors for the train. 30/5 is 6. As all of these are estimates it seems that they might work with a total of approximately 18m. I could do the calculation a different way. 6*1.5 is 9. 13.5 + 9 is 22.5m. On the Minds Wanted website the stated 26m wide, but the press release stated 20m long. ??? Anyways, there is obviously going to be some extra space etc. as the calculations are estimates based of off averages, this extra space may be made up for somehow in either case.

Of course this is all just speculation and I'm probably going into way too much detail into it, however that info in the Preliminary Results does help. With these calculation, 'maybe' the five group/ seater thing may still hold true.

I guess we'll find out sooner or later.
tcw1993

The ride will take a little while yet to open. Once it's constructed it will need programming testing tweaking etc which can take weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
Georgie

Just got this email! Looks like they're shooting for a magical Merlin May™ as speculated, but at least it's at the front end of the month on Sunday 6th.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Aidan Lowe

Just so you know the image doesn't work this end. Easier to just use Tinypic or Imageshack as opposed to Dropbox which can be pw protected and not all the time made public.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Owen

The ride is announced to be opening on Friday May 6th. (Sorry if that's what was said above but a bit confused to exactly what the image is :lol )

Southparks have posted this image onto FaceBook -

Dan

\:D/ Two days after my birthday.

I'm at Thorpe on that day so it's gonna be great to be one of the first people to experience it.
Owen

I think that opening on a Friday is a very smart move by Thorpe. This way the attraction has use this as a soft opening of sorts, as people will be at work and such. Then on Saturday the attraction should (fingers crossed) go smoothly when it'll have to cater for the big crowds. This video has been posted on Thorpe Parks Facebook.

The date has also been added to the website.
Last edited by Owen on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The email sent out also states that there will be an Annual Pass Preview Event which will most likely be combined with the Media Night, similar to IAC's, and be held on Thursday 5th May.

EDIT: Seems Thorpe have now confirmed on social media that the Annual Pass Preview (and presumably Media Night) will be on the 5th.
Zach

ATTENTION
Annual pass preview day for Darren Browns ghost train will now be held on Wednesday 4th May
abigsmurf

Guessing we've heard all we're going to hear from Merlin about the ride until the actual preview.

Wonder if we'll get some eagle eyed people getting hints about ride manufacturer/system when the rest of the park first opens.
bensaund

as a pass holder I have not received any emailed about MAP preview or this preview, is this right or did the Annual passes hunt get my details wrong and have my wrong email address?
Chaz

bensaund wrote:as a pass holder I have not received any emailed about MAP preview or this preview, is this right or did the Annual passes hunt get my details wrong and have my wrong email address?
We have not sent out any emails, TP/Merlin have announced this via social media only at the moment.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Unlike the IAC preview event, Thorpe have said that this will be during the day with only annual passholders able to access the ride by booking a timed ticket which will become available nearer the time.
jonny9403

lewis97 wrote:Unlike the IAC preview event, Thorpe have said that this will be during the day with only annual passholders able to access the ride by booking a timed ticket which will become available nearer the time.
I hope for a slot at like 4:30 coz i have school
althorpe

i did some digging on social media and found a guy who claims to be an actor on dbgt. not going to post the link, but its easy to find (start on thorpe twitter)