Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Horras64

I wonder if there'll be "Fast Track" for this. Get it. I'm bad at jokes
MerlinFan

Whew - lots of pages to catch up on and I can finally comment lol. Got the 'final' clue on Minds Wanted (had to look it up on Google in the end because it was so sneaky). I have to say I am so excited about this ride - I think it's going to amazing! Love the simple name and I think TP have been listening to me - I've been begging for a proper ghost train attraction for years! They said the VR is only one small element of the ride (unlike Galactica) and it'll use live actors and state of the art technology to warp your perceptions of what is real and what isn't... Love the concept of 12 possible 'journeys' so hopefully there is little chance of any 2 rides being exactly the same (though quite surprised it's not 13 outcomes as this number seems quite significant). Would hate it if it meant getting split up from people I am there with because I'd find this too frightening and I'm not brave enough to do scare mazes for this reason. However, Derren said that scare mazes also terrify him and he wanted to do his own ideal vision of a ghost train so this slightly puts me more at ease - and if a guy jumps out with a chainsaw I will not be impressed! I am so excited to ride this - hope the queues won't mean I don't get to (as has happened in the past when rides first open and I've had to wait until the following year because I'm not willing to queue for 3 hours or more).
Stan.H

With the announcement of "Derren Brown's Ghost Trin" I'm actually pretty excited, and my prediction was correct... Derren Brown's version of the Hogwarts express. If Merlin are able to pull this off correctly, I think that this attraction will truly be 'Insane!", and this I can see why it deserves an age restriction, unlike Nemesis Sub-Terra. I can see this ride having a few difficulties post opening (but don't all rides??) as well as getting some insane waits, but overall; I think that this investment is a good move from Merlin, and most likely will put the park on Europes, if not the worlds map!
Ryan.B

If you look on the floor of the chained train picture, there seems to be something which looks like sensors, I'm probably looking into this too much, but it looks like a system off a trackless dark ride, such as an AGV dark ride, if you sit on the ride like you do on a tube train, it could be like the AGV dark ride, but faced inwards. http://www.simworx.co.uk/av-fx/agv-darkride/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I reckon it could possibly be like the AGV, combined with the technology on The Hogwarts Express windows, or inside a warped screen. Probably wrong though. I reckon the upper level will be a walkthrough with VR, then down an escalator, after you board a AGV vehicle or a immersive tunnel that moves around like a dark ride (not sure on how an immersive tunnel works because I haven't been on one but I think it will be AGV/Trackless Dark ride ala ratatouille meets immersive tunnel. We can't be completely sure on the budget, it could be more than we expect over 40 million, but what I realistically expect is 30-40 million spent on it.
jonny9403

MerlinFan wrote:I'm not willing to queue for 3 hours or more).
Just go at summer nights ??
Horras64

FINALLY. DAMN That clue was sneaky. I was slightly ...... wrong at first. ](*,) Ahhh what a releif though
MerlinFan

I'm actually thinking I may need to book a day off on a school day to get the best chance of not having to wait hours to get on it. We'll see.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I really am quite excited to experience this hopefully some time this year. Having not yet had the opportunity to visit foreign parks with blockbuster dark rides featuring the latest in theme park technology, I expect this will surpass what I've been able to ride in the UK. There were some questions over its re-rideability, but hopefully the 12 journeys are different enough for this not to significantly mar the attraction.

I also have faith in Derren's ability to entertain, and with the level of control he's been given in the creation and delivery of this attraction, I see no reason why that ability won't be reflected in it. Having quietly stumbled across Ghost Train's trademark a few months back, the name has had time to grow on me and I do like it now, which is probably helped by having a better understanding of what the experience will be.

For those who were anxiously keeping an eye on Merlin's trademarks, they have filed for 'GHOST TRAIN' and its logo today, however they sneakily had Lane IP register 'GHOST TRAIN' and 'DERAIL YOUR MIND' on their behalf at the end of October last year.
jonny9403

ImageImage
Just me who thinks we're going to be in a tunnel with a train coming at us ??
xylyx

Love it, the whole thing is intriguing and I can't wait to snag a ride on it when we visit Thorpe for the first time ever, this year :)

I love the name ghost train as it can have multiple connotations: typical spooky train ride, a train full of ghosts, or a train which is a ghost, and I'll bet it goes through all of them :)
Last edited by xylyx on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASturge21

jonny9403 wrote:ImageImage
Could be a virtual train with whats been coming out.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
jonny9403

ASturge21 wrote:
jonny9403 wrote:ImageImage
Could be a virtual train with whats been coming out.

My point [emoji6] [emoji6]
ASturge21

Apologies I thought you meant the physical suspended train coming towards riders.

jonny9403

ASturge21 wrote:Apologies I thought you meant the physical suspended train coming towards riders.

Should have been clearer
Altontowersbarlow

I think that this whole concept is really interesting. From what has been revealed so far it seems as though the experience will have several different parts that will keep riders guessing/ surprised and I believe that the train vehicle itself will be capable of amazing things. I think there is something beautiful about a Victorian old classic theme integrated with mind-blowing technology. I believe that the attraction will be immersive and have a solid atmosphere and it is clear that the ride will be unlike anything ever seen in the UK before. I am actually so proud of Merlin and excited for this ride that I can't even express all the positive aspects of this. It all just seems very clever and I am sure we are going to have a true adventure on this ride. I love the sound of the actual ride section of the attraction, I am impressed by the new VR goggles that combine real images and virtual images and I love the concept art of the interior of the building. I will obviously withhold absolute judgement until I have experienced this but my mind has already been derailed. Who thought Merlin would ever produce the best dark ride to ever arrive in our country?
Benjisstephens

nickhutson wrote:What if I were to say it's virtual reality but your goggles has a camera on it - so what you see is a mixture of virtual and physical reality?

I really like this idea! t would make sense because then what they were talking about would make sense - You don't know whats reality or not...
Master_feedback

I think that if the suspended train is not the moving train but you do go in it at some point then it could well be a haunted swing like hex
Justin

I'm really looking forward to experiencing DBGT and seeing how the attraction pans out.

I can't help but think that the carrage of riders will disappear in front of the next batch though. Derren himself mentions a grand illusion!
MagicMartin666

Pepper's Ghost would fall into the category of "Grand Illusion".
New Thorpe Park Dark Ride: My Bet For The Name = "Derren Brown's Ghost Train"
nickhutson

Yes - I imagine the ride vehicle will disappear in front of the riders (once they've ridden it) in a way that it wouldn't disappear for the next group of riders. It is possible... remember this is a purpose built warehouse. Mirrors and lights can be put anywhere....