Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
nickhutson

I think in terms of this experience there is no "pre-show" and "ride". It's just a theatrical show with a ride moment built in (maybe at the beginning, middle or end)
Aidan Lowe

Like Nick mentioned its going to be a fully immersed 13 minute theatre experience. It won't be staring at the TV screen for a few minutes like Hex. If the tech is anything as big as the price tag of this thing expect to have the story play out in front of your eyes with an array of special effects rather than a screen.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Altontowersbarlow

If this ride really is an experience I will be ecstatic. One thing that Merlin Parks really lack is attractions that fully immerse you in the theme of the attraction and that keep you entertained before you even embark on the "ride" itself. I am hoping for an incredibly themed queue line with a well thought out storyline that is portrayed through the medium of unique technology. In addition to this, I do hope that the ride section itself is actually very thrilling and high quality, which I'm confident it will be considering the price tag.
tcw1993

This whole clue series is genius. And I'm amazing how still, nobody really knows for sure what's going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
Stan.H

Considering the queue line for this attraction, I'd expect it to have some outragiously long waits in the first few months... I'm thinking that the queue for this will somehow be like smiler; so there will be some cattle pen (as an extension for the queue, then a themed section of queue line and then an indoor fully immersive section. I think that TP will use the area they have wisely, and not just do metal switchbacks!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Emporium wrote:Considering the queue line for this attraction, I'd expect it to have some outragiously long waits in the first few months... I'm thinking that the queue for this will somehow be like smiler; so there will be some cattle pen (as an extension for the queue, then a themed section of queue line and then an indoor fully immersive section. I think that TP will use the area they have wisely, and not just do metal switchbacks!
The plans give a pretty good indication of the queue line. You can see that the exterior section will basically be one massive cattle-pen, with a few empty sections which will presumably have theming features placed in them, like in The Swarm's queue - one of the images from the 'bellows' clue would appear to show this.

[align=center]Image
Original Plan

Image[/align]

The plans also show that there will be no interior queueline like The Smiler, with the queue instead leading straight to the baggage hold and then into a pre-show room. It's possible that there may be some 'queuing' in between the pre-show room and the station, but you will be in the experience by this point.

Stan.H

How many people is that likely to hold? And what line is what (Fastrack, Standby, Single Rider and Disable)? Thanks.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Emporium wrote:How many people is that likely to hold? And what line is what (Fastrack, Standby, Single Rider and Disable)? Thanks.
The only indication of which queue is which is this figure from one of the documents, although there may be some changes when it goes in.

[align=center]Image[/align]

Do have a look at the WC16 feature page on SouthParks for more plans, information and construction updates.
MerlinFan

This ride must be on my mind (has Derren already got to me?)... had a dream about it last night and I was telling people that it's most definitely going to be a ghost train starring Derren Brown. Then the final clue was revealed on the Minds Wanted website and it was all pointing to a James and the Giant Peach theme! :'D
alicheesy

I dreamt it was a fish theme which I reckon is legit
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever
Aidan Lowe

Seeing as we're close to the final clue and the most recent ones revealed are pretty much aiming at a Ghost Train I'm going to move the discussion along with what people suspect is Derren Browns inspiration for the attraction.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Derren Brown wrote:Twitter: Just been on Carnesky's Ghost Train in Blackpool. Intelligent and horrible: so much better the early London one. Well done Marisa! X

Review: '...definitely worth a visit. It's a scary, intelligent, layered, disconcerting experience'
Carnesky's Ghost Train which was at Blackpool was a mixture of illusion, live scare actors, props, scenes & theatrical story telling. I threw together a short clip here of what it was like.

Now what you have to keep an open mind about when viewing the video is this is an attraction which didn't have a huge budget and yet was still revered as one of the best & most unique Ghost Trains out there.

Now we know its got a Victorian theme and Carnesky's Ghost Train focused heavily on ghost characters. Back before we knew a lot about the investment people said "Whitechapel, got to be Jack the Ripper themed right?" Well do you think Jack the Ripper may have a part to play after all in the attraction if they follow the same basis?

With Derren Browns mind at the helm, a team of 1000 people working on this along with a huge budget I expect it to be quite an astonishing feat of immersive theatre which will baffle & thrill all age groups.
Owen

I think that it's a little bit weird to assume a ghost train, although I feel it will be a ghostly attraction possibly incorporating a train I don't think the attraction will be a conventional 'ghost train'. It may mix scary things in but I hardly think that Thorpe Park would spend the budget they have on something I can find at my local amusements! ;)

In regards to Jack the Ripper, I think that Whitechapel really just refers to the styling of the facade - and let's not forget this wouldn't be the first time we e had a code name like this, with project Dylan or LC12.
Aidan Lowe

Owen wrote:..but I hardly think that Thorpe Park would spend the budget they have on something I can find at my local amusements!
Like I said this could be his inspiration and let me straighten it up Carnesky's version is not a conventional ghost train you'd find at a local fair.
..although I feel it will be a ghostly attraction possibly incorporating a train..
That to me is a ghost train. :D

All I'm saying is the ride portion of this attraction which may be mere minutes you may see something similar to Carnesky's but a lot better, keep an open mind!

This could be amazing & Derren Brown himself is simple & old fashioned in his ways & views so a mere Ghost Train attraction seems quite an obvious choice for someone like him.
Owen

Oh I've got an open mind, hence why I'm not 100% on the ghost train idea.

Let's be honest - none of us actually know what going on with this attraction so if think it naive for anyone to have a closed mind about it, or any attractions for that matter.
Aidan Lowe

Owen wrote:Let's be honest - none of us actually know what going on with this attraction.
While to a point that is true we don't exactly work for Merlin.

The marketing campaign has been giving clues for a while now and sure we could be misdirected (it is Derren Brown after all) I think the clues are fairly obvious if I'm honest, they aren't that cryptic to understand where its heading.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owen

What I'm saying is, until it's publicly announced people may as well express opinions as opposed to just assuming it will be one thing. Yes it may be a loosely based ghost train, but what about the other parts of the ride?

So other than completely moving on from discussion about the attractions theme or style, I think it is best to keep speculation open until we know for definite what the attraction is, I have my own opinions on it - but I'm keeping them to myself ;)
Aidan Lowe

Owen wrote:What I'm saying is, until it's publicly announced people may as well express opinions as opposed to just assuming it will be one thing.
*Loving the debate*

Lets have a look at the campaign so far: the first half of the marketing was to tease Derren Browns involvement. Now lets look at the second half teasing what to expect:

The logo: looks like train tracks.
Choice of words 'Arriving': when you expect a train you expect its arrival.
The Victorian twin video: Hints at a Victorian theme, trains/stations involved.
The thermal image: ghostly apparitions on site when nobody should be.
The 5th clue: A ghostly apparition on a train.
The Victorian ghost figure at Thorpe Park image: Even has the Stealth train in the background. Ghost Train.
The 6th clue: A Victorian ghost appearing and disappearing, checking his pocket watch with a conductor or train whistling to state a trains arrival or departure.

I'm not saying this is 100% accurate and yes its an open discussion, lets debate & discuss what it is but for me its pretty obvious from the clues.
Owen

Yes, I have been closely following the marketing campaign.

The topic is for speculation. So speculation should be accepted - this may be your opinion and you never know it may be mine, however that shouldn't mean that other opinions shouldn't be expressed by moving the subject on due to your personal judgement. Now, back on topic and about the ride as opposed to a debate on why people are right and wrong.
Dom

You both make very good points. I do, however, sort of agree with Andy. I do feel that the clues are leading towards a ghost train inspired attraction. The clues themselves are hinting at ghosts and trains. I ,personally, think that if it is going to be a ghost train, it won't be a conventional ghost train. I think it will be a more modern version which will integrate both classic and modern themes, the modern being the tube and the classic being victoriana and ghosts.

I do also agree with Owen in the fact that all this is pure speculation and we don't actually have any idea of what this attraction will actually be, So people should be open to all ideas.

What has thrown me with this is the fact that it has a baggage hold. Most conventional ghost train like rides don't have one. I mean, look at Duel. So the fact this has a baggage hold makes me think either its going to have OTSR restraints or the carriages will be hanging down, or there simply won't be enough room in the carriage for baggage.
NemesisRider

If it's a Ghost Train, I can understand why they've gone for it. Without sounding too snobby here, the demise of some of the UK's best dark rides is because the General Public just didn't quite "get" or understand them (with The Fifth Dimension this was a major part along with some other points, also it could be argued Terror Tomb had this same problem). That's part of why Merlin markets everything as a "World's First", simply because they need something the General Public can get attached to and understand. But the Ghost Train idea is generic and so overdone, however good it may be there will always be a tiny niggle (at least for me) that Merlin didn't go with something more unique for the theme.