Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It would make no sense from a marketing perspective to announce Derren Brown's involvement, to later reveal it's a Silent Hill attraction. That would just result in confusion, which isn't what you want as a result of a marketing campaign.
TheBeast

Derren Brown is known to misdirect and confuse people. Maybe that is the idea, to trick people into thinking the ride is illusion based...? I doubt it but i guess it could be?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Aidan Lowe

Yea that is a valid point lewis. Like I said in my posts its just me looking into things to deeply and trying to connect things together in hopes it has more to it than just DB. :)
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Georgie

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but after some digging I managed to find this job ad for the visual effects production house FrameStore, advertised as a "CG Supervisor for a Dark Ride project".

https://www.creativeheads.net/job/15049 ... -in-london" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this relates to the new ride, then this is potentially massive news in relation to what this ride could potentially be like. For those not in the know, Framestore have been responsible for creating the title sequences for the Bond films since Goldeneye (with the exception of Quantum of Solace I believe) and have also worked on Harry Potter and the 2010 Doctor Who titles. They're an experienced, talented bunch so the idea of their involvement is a tantalising one.

The job ad in itself also reveals some interesting tidbits, with the ride "using cutting edge ride technology to create a completely believable feeling that CG characters and scenes are actually real", using "many huge screens set around a massive sound-stage full of practical sets that the ride vehicles crashes through during the adventure". The ride will apparently use sound and perspective to disorientate, in addition to practical effects such as water, smoke and even fire. And of course, the ride will be accompanied by an original music score too!

Assuming this is referring to the new Thorpe ride, which seems extremely likely given the description of said ride, this sounds fantastic and it's now really only a matter of waiting to see what the ride hardware could be!
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
mark_h

Do you know when that job advert was posted/filled?
JonDoesTT

Wow, if this is actually WC16, it will be incredible. It seems to link with what we already know pretty nicely too, with it talking about being like an illusion and being generally very confusing for the riders.

Credit to NemesisRider
Adz
Admin
Admin

That job posting does not relate to Project Whitechapel.

It *might* be something to do with Paramount but it's most likely nothing in the UK.
Georgie

While at first, I probably would have pointed out that the listing is for London, it's most likely referring to the company itself. That said, I'm still keeping this in the back of my mind.

Thinking about it, the fire effects do seem a tad far fetched for what appears to be quite a compact ride.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Adz
Admin
Admin

It's more the timing of it, WC16 is much further ahead in development than that job posting is for.

Storyboarding and such was done years ago.
TheBeast

Guys, you had my hopes up there! :lol

So it does have a storyline behind it, its not just an IP?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Well it's a natural stage in the development of the majority of dark rides to storyboard the experience, to give an indication of what happens in each room/scene, so it doesn't necessarily indicate that there will be a strong narrative throughout although it will at the least have some sort of premise.
Morgan

Another video has been revealed
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aidan Lowe

Very odd =P~
simononestop

well its got the underground in it! rest is a bit different
Aidan Lowe

I'm guessing this is supposed to be the early December clue, nothing being updated on the website as of yet. Re-watched the video several times to see if it was a hidden page again but tried a fair few and nothing so far.

Not really sure where this attraction is going, Victorian mixed with the tube and psychology. Original to say the least.
Owen

I am now 99.9% that this attraction is going to be along the lines of using people's phobias on them, all this is pointing toward this theory.

I'm not saying the entire ride will be around this but I feel it will be a major part of the experience.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Seems this will be a week long campaign going by this article.

Also...
Mike Vallis, Divisional Director of Thorpe Park Resort said “Following the announcement of Derren Brown curating our new 2016 attraction in October, we have had many enthusiasts try to unravel our closely guarded secret.

“From theme park enthusiasts trying to access the site to fans sneaking into the backend of our social media accounts to look for scheduled posts. So due to demand and interest in our largest investment to date we have released our next clue, The Victorian Twins”.
Liam.W

Just seen the video on Facebook, hence why I rushed into the forum! I was not expecting that at all. Thorpe park seem to have upped their game with the marketing now
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Master_feedback

Some kind of ghost train seams to fit now my guess you do a bit of walking to thr train take a short trip to a different area then walk...
Slug3k

I have somehow managed to have missed out clue 3 - I have solved 1, 2 and 4 but missed 3... anyone help with this one?

Also love that TP have stepped up the marketing game with the Victorian dolls around London. I am hoping this is not all an illusion and does lead to something.