Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Nathan_Fisher

Whitechapel? Perhaps it's something to do with Jack the Ripper. :lol
Dom

See that's what I thought. But now I'm not sure. Surely it wouldn't be that obvious. I mean project Dylan was for saw and the reason that got called Dylan is because of the directors cat, I believe, not 100% on that one though.
Altontowersbarlow

Dom wrote:See that's what I thought. But now I'm not sure. Surely it wouldn't be that obvious. I mean project Dylan was for saw and the reason that got called Dylan is because of the directors cat, I believe, not 100% on that one though.
The promotional image for the 2016 attraction did however resemble a London tube station sign which could possibly link to the project name of Whitechapel.
Justin

As mentioned on Facebook, Jack the Ripper is obvious if going by the codename but I so hope it is true! Unless the name applies to going " back in time"?

Wild theory... Perhaps it will be mixed in with The Dungeons brand? I could see that working with special effects!
Nathan_Fisher

I think Jack the ripper is too sinister anyway, it was just a thought. With the nature of Jack the ripper and who is victims were, i don't think its appropriate to be put into a family theme park. Especially with this being a dark ride with possibly a low height restriction, therefore allowing younger guests onto the ride.
RIDECRAZY

Nathan_Fisher wrote:I think Jack the ripper is too sinister anyway, it was just a thought. With the nature of Jack the ripper and who is victims were, i don't think its appropriate to be put into a family theme park. Especially with this being a dark ride with possibly a low height restriction, therefore allowing younger guests onto the ride.
I don't think there's any reason why the Jack the Ripper theme won't happen, Merlin mustn't think its too sinister as it was (& may still be) a section of the Dungeons attractions, which are even more directed towards families then Thorpe Park is.
Dom

A geek side is about to come out but it could still be Doctor Who, like everyone originally thought. It the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who it was mentioned that Jack the Ripper was killed and eaten by Madame Vestra. So it could be that story come to live in a dark ride.
Altontowersbarlow wrote:The promotional image for the 2016 attraction did however resemble a London tube station sign which could possibly link to the project name of Whitechapel
Is this the one on the blackboards featured in the park? If so, i don't think that it did look like a Tube station sign.
Altontowersbarlow

Is this the one on the blackboards featured in the park? If so, i don't think that it did look like a Tube station sign.

Yes, that is the image I was describing. I think how we perceive images is a very personal thing and I did believe the poster resembled a tube station sign however I also respect your opinion.
Dom

I wasn'y denying your opinion. I was merely just saying mine. Sorry if it came across that way. As for the attraction itself it will be interesting to see how this develops.
Ladyofthelake

There's certainly a fair few interesting new details come out today. I'm quite intrigued by the codename - it could mean any of a number of things - a general nod to a ride set in Victorian London; a more specific Jack the Ripper theme; could it signify the Dungeons brand coming to Thorpe?

What's particularly interesting is the interior details described in SouthParks' news article. The fact the building has two levels is very interesting indeed. When the plans were first announced, I was sure it would be an indoor coaster of some sort. Now, I'm not so sure. The dimensions of the ride area just don't seem to lend themselves to that type of ride system. Guess time will tell what it actually is.
Justin

How big is the Taxi ride at Madame Tussauds London? Perhaps we will see something similar?
themealgang

At the Nemesis 21st event, Nick Varney promised 'a game changer' for Thorpe Park next year, so it's confirmed next year will see the addition of a major attraction. The I'm a Celebrity maze was an hideous decision and with Saw, the park is slowly turning into an IP land. However, Varney did say that Merlin were extremely happy with the success of Saw: The Ride as it 'really caught peoples imagination'.

But please Thorpe, give the IP's a rest for now. Bring the magic back with an original narrative and theme.

The fact that this is a building forms of two levels is very interesting to note. Whilst I'm doubtful we are seeing a roller coaster (even though at this stage, it could be very possible) I'm guessing it's a new sort of dark ride with Intamin or Mack being strong contenders when it comes to the manufactures. As for the theme? That's still very much up in the air at the moment, but the theming elements coming through during these stages of planning does hit towards something quite unique indeed.

But please Merlin, don't cheat with an IP in 2016. Thank you.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The idea of it being a 'game changer' does give the impression that it will feature new ride technology.
RedStar98

I'm really liking the look of the new attraction, and as other people have suggested, the project name does point to a kind of Jack the Ripper theme which I think is brilliant if it's true. Really looking forward to it
Ryan.B

What is the coaster in, is it a warehouse? If it is WC16- Warehouse Coaster 2016
Dom

AT lover wrote:What is the coaster in, is it a warehouse? If it is WC16- Warehouse Coaster 2016
I think that WC16 could mean WhiteChaple 16 but I could be wrong
NemesisRider

I can see how they could integrate a Sealife into a Merlin park but a Dungeons wouldn't fit so well in my opinion. I mean, "Thorpe Park Dungeons" doesn't sound that great... :lol

Still, a Victorian theme could work well in the park.
Alex

Thorpe Park have just posted this image on Twitter giving another clue about WC16 Image
Ryan.B

Well, it could be a small coaster with one drop to the second level and then go through the rest slowly like a dark ride, possible an inversion taken slowly like hydra, going into the logo, which looks like a votex into 'the past' unlikely but possible
Aidan Lowe

Well that looks like an antique Victorian fragrance bottle which points more to the Victorian theme / jack the ripper and Whitechapel.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc