Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Alex

It's already being discussed here, as it's not really a coaster.

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=37029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ladyofthelake

Plans have been submitted today for a new 'fully themed indoor attraction' at Thorpe Park Resort. According to the plans submitted, it will be based on the site of the arena and also see the removal of Chief Ranger's Carousel along with a number of games stalls. We only have basic details so far, with the only clue to the theme of the ride being that the outside of the new building will have a run down warehouse theme. Also stated in the plans is that the attraction will include a pre-show, as well as the usual retail outlet and service areas.

SouthParks news has a detailed article on the submitted plans

I'm intrigued to see what this could turn into. It certainly has the promise to be a huge investment for the park. It will certainly be an interesting one to keep an eye on :)
sw7nutter

Confirmed dark ride. Woo we will know nothing about the ride until it opens.
themealgang

So that's a HUGE dark ride (family friendly?) confirmed for 2016 over a roller coaster. Now this is very interesting.

Personally, I think the choice of location is brilliant. With the brief details given for now, it's still early days to start speculating what, if any, IP will be implemented into the theme. But the size of the building is humongous so I think we can expect something rather spectacular. With it being one of the most expensive rides to be ever built by a Merlin park, could we be looking at something similar to Spiderman or Transformers when it comes to ride systems?

Whilst it's not the woodie or thrill ride we dreamed of, it's still a massive step forward. I look forward to seeing how this project unveils over the next couple of years.
NemesisRider

I think the theme has 3 clear choices IMO:
1. Another Saw themed attraction. This would be the worst choice as it really does not fit the bill Dr being family friendly. However, a run down building would make sense in a Saw theme.

2. Themed around "The Swarm". This would probably be an interactive shooter where you fend off the Swarm. The run down building would work, and I imagine a name like "Survival" could be appropriate.

3. An IP theme from Lionsgate again. Not Saw, but a strong franchise. This has lots of choice, but it's another IP, the licensing will cost quite a lot.

My favourite idea is the "The Swarm" style shooter, but that's just me.
Jamster42

^ The hunger games is lionsgate and has been rumoured for a while so option 3 seems likely.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I can't help but notice that the parameters for the plaza feature are TARDIS shape/size...

jon18uk

lewis97 wrote:I can't help but notice that the parameters for the plaza feature are TARDIS shape/size...

I was thinking the same thing..... Doctor Who has been rumoured as coming to Thorpe Park for a while
JammyBand

I'm not sure how Doctor Who would fit in with the warehouse theme. I think it's likely to be a mid-way attraction in terms of thrills, but I'm sure its going to be something unique and exciting! As they already have X, it definitely wont be a roller coaster (or at least not a normal roller coaster anyway). I think its likely that it could be a mack dark ride coaster suitable for families (Duel style), or something more unique and more thrilling like Nemesis:Sub Terra (although less scary I would have thought?). I'm definitely going to keep up with these developments as its sure to be very exciting!
Dom

In the plans it did say the outside theme will have nothing to do with the inside theme. They want to do it so you will surprised by the actual theme inside.
The purpose of the building is to ensure that there is no indication as to the
nature of the themed indoor attraction housed within. As such, all machinery
will be located within the building. With a ridge height of 10m the building will
not be visible from the Park boundaries.
That is the actual quote from the plans
Alex

NemesisRider wrote:I think the theme has 3 clear choices IMO:
1. Another Saw themed attraction. This would be the worst choice as it really does not fit the bill Dr being family friendly. However, a run down building would make sense in a Saw theme.

2. Themed around "The Swarm". This would probably be an interactive shooter where you fend off the Swarm. The run down building would work, and I imagine a name like "Survival" could be appropriate.

3. An IP theme from Lionsgate again. Not Saw, but a strong franchise. This has lots of choice, but it's another IP, the licensing will cost quite a lot.

My favourite idea is the "The Swarm" style shooter, but that's just me.
If it was related to the first two suggestions it would be built within close proximity to the rides, this is not the case so it wont be themed around those two. The two options that I reckon would be possible are a lionsgate IP ie The Hunger Games or a BBC IP ie Dr Who.
JammyBand

Merlin have recently had an IP from the BBC already (CBeebiesLand), so it could be likely that they will make another contract with them. So obviously this fits the Dr Who idea. :D :D :p) :p) :p)
NemesisRider

What would they do as a Dr Who theme though? I mean, the doctor is always changing, we might have a new one in 4 years, that could cause problems for the idea...

Something Hunger Games would be good, but Mockingjay part 2 would have been done with a year before, therefore meaning it is not so current. However, they didn't mind about that with Saw...

Dr Who would be a good family theme and I could see a new 3D shooter (Like Justice league at Six Flags or Guardian at Canada's wonderland) working with that theme.
Alex

I very much doubt it will be a shooting ride, TP dont have a need for one.
Georgie

Dom wrote:In the plans it did say the outside theme will have nothing to do with the inside theme. They want to do it so you will surprised by the actual theme inside.
The purpose of the building is to ensure that there is no indication as to the
nature of the themed indoor attraction housed within. As such, all machinery
will be located within the building. With a ridge height of 10m the building will
not be visible from the Park boundaries.
That is the actual quote from the plans
"Themed indoor attraction" is what the ride is being referred to. When they say they want the GP to have no idea what the ride is, they mean the ride itself, not the theme. After all, if the theme was secret, what would be the point of the themed plaza and even the IP in the first place? Besides, remember themes can change. Anyone else remember the original plans for the Smiler?

Hmm, although a Doctor Who story in a warehouse isn't unheard of. Don't blink!
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Jack

this really is quite exciting, and not knowing what it could be does do all the more to keep me interested in this :D hoping that it won't be an IP, but won't mind as long as it will be an interesting one :D
Luce

This is an interesting and very exciting development and I hope it goes ahead. I think if it is going to be Doctor Who themed, there are a wide variety of avenues it could go down and I'll be following this closely :)
Dan

The plans aren't giving much away but this has the potential to be something quite special.

If this is the much rumoured Dr Who IP then I think it will do a lot for Thorpe in terms of attracting guests that The Swarm failed to do. The fact that Merlin have just this season opened a whole area in partnership with the BBC also gives more credibility to the Dr Who idea.

It will be very interesting to see how this progresses.
Master_feedback

when we had the scare-maze event at Thorpe their was lots of hints to say lionsgate are on the way out so i would rule anything with them out
Nathan_Fisher

Im interested about what the 'worlds first element will be'???