Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
danwhit709

Does anyone know the absolute highest Thorpe can go with a coaster? There's no trees for boundaries and if they've already topped the hyper mark, what's to stop them (apart from space) from going giga?
ponder

1. I'm pretty sure Gertslauer wouldn't be able to retro-fit 4x4 cars on to Saw without significant work to the lift hill as well as various other elements, due to the weight differential.

2. Why on earth would Thorpe remove Colossus? It's one of their most iconic rides and is only 11 years old. It's got a good 10+ years left in it yet, and it's foot print is waaaay too small for a hyper coaster. New trains would be nice, though...

3. They have more space than you may realise. There's a whole island behind Swarm which is earmarked for their next major investment, they have space along the back of the park (although that may be more troublesome due to the trees, wildlife etc), and as a last resort, they have the option of creating more islands on the lake as they did with Saw. Obviously there's a limit to this as they wouldn't be able to allow the water table to rise too high, but it's certainly feasible for another couple of projects.

4. I don't mean to be 'that guy', but has this forum been invaded with kids since The Smiler's construction? The quality of discussion and level of intelligence and knowledge of the subject really seems to have gone downhill over the past 6 months or so. Like I say, don't mean to be an arse, but there seems to be a lot more rubbish on these forums these days... :/

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
TheBoyWithOneEye

ponder wrote:
4. I don't mean to be 'that guy', but has this forum been invaded with kids since The Smiler's construction? The quality of discussion and level of intelligence and knowledge of the subject really seems to have gone downhill over the past 6 months or so. Like I say, don't mean to be an arse, but there seems to be a lot more rubbish on these forums these days... :/
I must admit that I only joined the forum becuase of the smiler construction but had been reading these forums WAY before, and there are quite a few comments on the construction topics these days that do make me think "did you really just say that"  ](*,). Its just common sence in the end.

Anyhoo... Back on topic.
DrReeve

Altitude wrote:
Ma®©us wrote: Due to the new hotel Thorpey are making I doubt we'll see a coaster for a while, and do they really need a new coaster?
Well they need something to bring the chavs in.
already done there is some xbox 360s in the dome that'll bring them in for about 5 years
Image credit to Lewis97
Dom

i voted for a woodie but im not sure if it would actually fit into thorpe park. i think the so called chav's that go there would actually think that it would be rubbish, because they are coaster buffs. all they care about is the bigger the better and speed and inversions. so a woodie wouldnt actually be what they would probably go for. but personally i would love a woodie at TP
sw7nutter

Pizzazz wrote: i voted for a woodie but im not sure if it would actually fit into thorpe park. i think the so called chav's that go there would actually think that it would be rubbish, because they are coaster buffs. all they care about is the bigger the better and speed and inversions. so a woodie wouldnt actually be what they would probably go for. but personally i would love a woodie at TP
A woodie has no USP however a woodie with some inversions i reckon could do well if marketed correctly.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
mikecloud1984

A woodie has no USP?

Are you joking?

We have a handful of wooden coasters in the UK, none of which are particularly modern - it would be a big coup for Thorpe to invest.

The UK is crying out for a modern woodie - whether this is the opinion of a coaster fan or not, it is something different!

If it were marketed correctly, there is no reason why it couldn't be a winner!

It doesn't need inversions - they, in my opinion, are a gimmick - and it also distracts away from the "wood" fact - the inverted "woodies" are all actually hybrids right?
sw7nutter

The reason i say woodies have no usp is becuase the chavs will see them as oo look its got different supports and that will be it and of course many of them saying is it safe? Merlin only go for rides that have a usp that is clear to the public.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
mikecloud1984

sw7nutter wrote: The reason i say woodies have no usp is becuase the chavs will see them as oo look its got different supports and that will be it and of course many of them saying is it safe? Merlin only go for rides that have a usp that is clear to the public.
No they don't, they go for something different. Different and unique go hand in hand but there is no reason why merlin wouldn't go for a woodie next - its something different and a USP in itself!

Just look at the popularity of wooden coasters around the world - there is a reason why nearly every american park has one!
sw7nutter

When thorpe posted a picture of a woodie and said would you ride it the number of comments that said is it said is it safe was out of this world
mikecloud1984

sw7nutter wrote: When thorpe posted a picture of a woodie and said would you ride it the number of comments that said is it said is it safe was out of this world
A number of comments? How many?

I am sure, 100% sure in fact, that the amount of comments are from the uneducated people. And regardless, what percentage of the general target audience for Thorpe made such a comment. I would image we are tlaking about 0.00001% of poeple.

A woodie is different, it would get people talking, regardless of if they "think its safe" or not - that is a massive USP for Thorpe and Merlin. If Thorpe want to wow people and want to get people tlaking about the park again then it has to be different and woodie is about as different as it gets!
RCandrew

Whatever rollercoaster is next, it should go over water and 'swoop' next to it or something ;)
manxman

They just posted a pic of behemoth from canada's wonderland asking 'could you handle the 215ft drop?' Does anyone possibly think they are putting types of coasters that they could potentially build as their next one on the page to see how they are welcomed by the public?
themealgang

Another day, another interesting Thorpe Park Facebook page  future coaster post. Again, in my opinion, it's indicating inversions are out and airtime is in. That's my kind of thinking. To think that they could potentially open up a B&M Hyper the size of the Big One seems nuts for the UK in today's world. I would welcome this, but I' still keeping my fingers crossed for a woodie (without crazy inversions). Not sure if Wardley would have any influence over the decision making for Thorpe's next coaster, but when he spoke at Oakwood recently, he said that he would like to see at least another year of these new systems in action. Maybe that 'year' will be up by the time Thorpe's next coaster opens?

I actually think the Rocky Mountain new wood/steel inverting beasts are some of the ugliest coasters to come out of the coaster market in recent years. They look a bit unsafe to the public and all of that could really work for Thorpe's marketing and target market, ironically enough. Looks like we still have quite a wait before we even hear about the planning application; wasn't the 2015 opening date pulled back?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
iBacon

Thorpe Park has just put this on Facebook :

It also had 'Canada's Wonderland: home to Behemoth. Could you handle the 215ft drop?' as the status.
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!
djedwardsmith

mikecloud1984 wrote: I am sure, 100% sure in fact, that the amount of comments are from the uneducated people. And regardless, what percentage of the general target audience for Thorpe made such a comment. I would image we are tlaking about 0.00001% of poeple.
It doesn't matter if they're uneducated or not, they're still Thorpes target audience and it ties in with what Wardley has previously said about general public members constantly questioning the safety of Wooden rollercoasters and not being too receptive of them.
Jamie

I would really like to see a woodie at Thorpe, they offer very different thrills to steel coasters and in the UK is in need of more.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
mikecloud1984

djedwardsmith wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote: I am sure, 100% sure in fact, that the amount of comments are from the uneducated people. And regardless, what percentage of the general target audience for Thorpe made such a comment. I would image we are tlaking about 0.00001% of poeple.
It doesn't matter if they're uneducated or not, they're still Thorpes target audience and it ties in with what Wardley has previously said about general public members constantly questioning the safety of Wooden rollercoasters and not being too receptive of them.
Maybe they are not receptive because they have never had the chance to be on one!

Wardley designed Stampida - he does not have a problem with woodies.

Also, Thorpes "Target Audience" IS NOT CHAVS - its thrill seekers - and what is more thrilling than a ride that peoiple "deem unsafe" which actually isn't in the slightest?
Sam198

mikecloud1984 wrote:
djedwardsmith wrote:
Maybe they are not receptive because they have never had the chance to be on one!

Wardley designed Stampida - he does not have a problem with woodies.

Also, Thorpes "Target Audience" IS NOT CHAVS - its thrill seekers - and what is more thrilling than a ride that peoiple "deem unsafe" which actually isn't in the slightest?
He's more than just 'okay' with the idea of woodies... He's been fighting Nick Varney for one for the best part of two decades!

For those who haven't already seen it, I strongly suggest watching this before commenting any further on the topic at hand:
bensaund

I love the idea of the Woodie they wanted to build on the Saw area
If you go down to the woods today