Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
mikecloud1984

mugnezz wrote: but I think the coaster is postponed in 2016, in 2015 is expected to be built gardaland
Huh?

Merlin own both Thorpe and Gardaland - nothing is stopping them opening a coaster in each.

If Thorpe want a coaster for April opening 2015 then they have another 9 months before any ground works need to start - but saying that, the ground works have been happening for years if the new ride will appear on the island next to Stealth/Swarm.
Alex

It would make sense for Thorpe to build a big Hyper as AT wont be able to build one, and apart from the Big One as previously stated there isnt a Hyper Coaster
Tom G

They won't be opening a new coaster until 2016 now.
mikecloud1984

Tom G wrote: They won't be opening a new coaster until 2016 now.
Says whom?

As I Said above - they are still 9 months away from even having to start ground works!
Alex

mikecloud1984 wrote:
Tom G wrote: They won't be opening a new coaster until 2016 now.
Says whom?

As I Said above - they are still 9 months away from even having to start ground works!
This does

http://riderater.co.uk/2013/thorpe-park-to-install-next-rollercoaster-in-2016/
Thorpe Park will install its next major rollercoaster in 2016, according to planning documents.

Files accompanying the application for the forthcoming Crash Pad accommodation reveal that a ride originally planned for 2015 would now not appear until a year later.

The park identifies that it is now to concentrate on its accommodation offerings before then.

A medium-term development plan released in 2010 identified areas that would potentially host the ride, which would stand at 40 metres tall.

Park operators Merlin Entertainments are reportedly considering a wooden rollercoaster among a number of steel options for the investment.
mikecloud1984

Thanks for the above.

If this is fact, can we get the title of this thread changed?

I will be taking it with a pinch of salt - The crash pad has been installed for this year - so why the gap for 2015?
Tom G

The planning documents clearly state what the article says.

The Swarm's disappointing performance has led to a push back of the next major investment. The same might happen at Alton Towers, with SW8 not appearing until 2017.
RollercoasterGEEK100

But they'll need this coaster for 2015 if The Swarm didn't get the popularity they excepted!

Credit to NemesisRider
Tom G

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: But they'll need this coaster for 2015 if The Swarm didn't get the popularity they excepted!
Quite the opposite, only a huge success would make them bring an additional investment forward. The Smiler was originally planned for next year, but Thirteen's huge success in upping gate figures by 300,000 brought it a year forward.
iriderides101

mikecloud1984 wrote:
mugnezz wrote: but I think the coaster is postponed in 2016, in 2015 is expected to be built gardaland
Huh?

Merlin own both Thorpe and Gardaland - nothing is stopping them opening a coaster in each.

If Thorpe want a coaster for April opening 2015 then they have another 9 months before any ground works need to start - but saying that, the ground works have been happening for years if the new ride will appear on the island next to Stealth/Swarm.
Cashflow? These things are not cheap
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Actually, I remember going with the school to Thorpe Park and attending one of their workshops, last year. In that they included visitor numbers or profit (I can't remember) after a major attraction was installed every 3 years, and it showed that it has been decreasing, with The Swarm being the lowest so far. The guy did then say something along the lines of that they may have to leave it for more than 3 years, to be able to get the return they wanted, before the next coaster is installed.
A

That's a very good point, if merlin are to install a new attraction they want the returns from the previous attraction first. Comparing this to alton, there is far more hype for the smiler than the swarm so if this is true it's unlikely that alton will have to delay their next investment, so realistically we could see coasters constructed at thorpe and alton simultaneously
Last edited by A on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
mikecloud1984

Thanks to the MOD for changing the title of this thread!
Altitude

The thing is, if they don't install other coaster for 5 years, the visitor numbers will drop even more!
SwEDEN

Altitude wrote: The thing is, if they don't install other coaster for 5 years, the visitor numbers will drop even more!
Time for the 7 or so flats that look to be installed between now and 2018 if I remember correctly. :lol:
Also gives them a chance to clear up the park (Colossus i'm looking at you) make some major improvements (Colossus yet again i'm looking at you) and the possibility for some more theming to be added to certain areas of the park along with having to re-theme SAW after it's contract runs out in 2015!
bensaund

The good thing is Thorpe have enough room for at least two good coasters with the two spare islands they have. They already have a good selection of flats.

Now 'The Nation's Thrill Capital' should really live up to its name, they need to do another coaster in the next 3-4 years. As much as we are all looking at Colossus, if they spend the minimum amount of money or give it a complete re-do, I doubt it will attract many visitors as its not anything new. You really need to add something new to the mix to attract guests. The club nights seem to be working for them, the hotel should expand their revenue and they are starting to do events as well. Things are slowly looking up for Thorpe, but they really need to pull their finger out and Merlin really need to give them the cash to invest as the park could be so great, I just feel they don't ever seem to go that extra mile.
If you go down to the woods today
RollercoasterGEEK100

I agree with Ben to be honest... The park is still doing good but they need that something to top it off! A new themed area is needed like an alpine Swiss village as I've mentioned before which isn't a theme about death or destruction and a B&M hyper/Intamin Mega like a Shambhala  but not as big. They also need a couple new flat rides. I mean look at flamingo land even though they're not owned by Merlin they keep attracting guest every year!

Credit to NemesisRider
Altitude

^ I don't think an Alpine Village will attract people to the park haha!

When do the plans for new attractions get released on the council website? Late this year?
TB2

I agree with Ben to be honest... The park is still doing good but they need that something to top it off! A new themed area is needed like an alpine Swiss village as I've mentioned before which isn't a theme about death or destruction and a B&M hyper/Intamin Mega like a Shambhala  but not as big. They also need a couple new flat rides. I mean look at flamingo land even though they're not owned by Merlin they keep attracting guest every year!
Ironically, its the investment overload between 2001-2006 that has left Thorpe in the state it has become (or seems to be perceived). The truth is, continually throwing flat rides at the park is a short term investment at best. How many people now visit the park for Vortex, Zodiac and Detonator for example. That was absolutely fine in 2001 when the only other major ride was Tidal Wave and No Way Out. But we've moved on considerably since then and any flat ride would have to be more then just 'a flat ride' to build excitement.
bensaund wrote: The good thing is Thorpe have enough room for at least two good coasters with the two spare islands they have. They already have a good selection of flats.

Now 'The Nation's Thrill Capital' should really live up to its name, they need to do another coaster in the next 3-4 years. As much as we are all looking at Colossus, if they spend the minimum amount of money or give it a complete re-do, I doubt it will attract many visitors as its not anything new. You really need to add something new to the mix to attract guests. The club nights seem to be working for them, the hotel should expand their revenue and they are starting to do events as well. Things are slowly looking up for Thorpe, but they really need to pull their finger out and Merlin really need to give them the cash to invest as the park could be so great, I just feel they don't ever seem to go that extra mile.
Thing is, Thorpe is invested in well. From up to date music systems to new queue boards which are significantly better then any other in the Merlin group. It pushes further then the others in terms of events such as Ministry of Sound nights, its reliability has improved massively since the dark days of 2009 and it has five decent, large rollercoasters. By continually adding something new between 2001-2006, the park has built this reputation that it always adds new things when in reality, that can only go so far. With the park now starting to ditch the thrill capital tag-line and aiming at 'up for it' families, the emphasis will change and we can hopefully have a more balanced line up at the park.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Benjsh

What are people basing comments like "thorpe are doing well" on exactly?

In 2012, with the addition of the countries first and only Wing Rider coaster, plus the added tourism from the Olympics, the Park attendance figures actually dropped over 10% from 2011. That's appalling. In comparison, AT's only dropped 9% and they didn't install a multi million pound coaster that year like Thrope did.

Be interesting to see how much further they drop this year too with the "cheap" twist they have added to a coaster that is only 1 year old.

From what i read and hear, they need to improve the all round experience of the park rather than simply adding a BIG ride every few years. If the atmosphere and staff are poor then it doesn't matter how good the rides are.

They need more family friendly attractions in my opinion and try to come away from the "chav park" nicknames they receive.