Thorpe Park - Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
RollercoasterGEEK100

Krazycoaster wrote:
RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote:
Krazycoaster wrote: The trouble with another B&M is that Thorpe already have a good variety. I'd love to see a B&M Hypercoaster but i'd want to wait a few years till Thorpe can build higher. I would love to see a RMC wood coaster or an Intamin Aquatrax/Mega Lite  :D
They can build a 160ft B&M hyper like Goliath, Six Flags La Ronde...
I suppose so. Just read this as well and it doesn't look like we'll be getting a wooden coaster for the foreseeable future, or ever!  :(
http://riderater.co.uk/2013/wooden-coas ... ts-varney/
So england will never see another woodie in our merlin parks! We are more likely to get a B&M hyper now or an Intamin...

Credit to NemesisRider
Vladimir Bobinski

Altitude wrote: ^ Not strictly true...

Thorpe Park's overall height limit is 300ft. They can never build any higher, party due to the location close to Heathrow. However planes do fly very high up, even above the park!

As long as the European height record never exceeds, say, 280ft, Thorpe could snatch it.
Krazycoaster wrote: The trouble with another B&M is that Thorpe already have a good variety. I'd love to see a B&M Hypercoaster but i'd want to wait a few years till Thorpe can build higher. I would love to see a RMC wood coaster or an Intamin Aquatrax/Mega Lite  :D
I was going to say Shambhala is 250Ft and that seems to have very good feedback.  For me, it has to be something tall, fast, lots of air time, or low to the ground and interesting, such as the hybrid coasters.
DeanGaryCox

The fact is, probably been mentioned... is that i'm sure whatever thorpe are going to get is going to be somewhat different to the existing coasters, so can presume they won't be getting a multi-launch coaster, as you already have stealth as a launch coaster, unless it was something like Verbolten that combines different things, like launches and a TH13TEEN style drop. I personally would like a Woodie, but now come to like the idea of a Hybrid Woodie (like outlaw run etc.) which would include inversions and be a completely unique ride to the UK, but i had to come to terms that a woodie may no longer be even considered due to the general public 'not getting it' - sad times! and height restrictions stop them from building a decent hypercoaster or something similar with lot's of airtime... so i really am stumped on what thorpe are going to pull out of the bag!
Image 2014
DrReeve

Damn height restrictions.
Image credit to Lewis97
Trisnie

DrReeve wrote: Damn height restrictions.
I know the feeling
As much as I can appreciate we have tougher planning regulations and noise restrictions in place and thery are there for a reason it's something we come up short for and so will never have a world leading park in this country  :(
so dreams of a six flags quality park would never happen
sw7nutter

I think the main issue with Thorpe parks 2015 coaster would be that the 50m roller coaster which is the highest they can go until 2019 is on the island where the crash pad is. This island is pretty small and i doubt you could fit an air machine there.
The other islands especially the one behind swarm is great for a air machine or hyper(whatever its called) because it is huge but the height restriction on that is 40m.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
Altitude

^ Surely it would be the other way round seeing as the island behind Swarm is between the two tallest rides already?
Henry

What about a hyper or something starting where the crashpad is and then going around the Swarm over the water and to the island, with most of the ride over that side.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
sw7nutter

Altitude wrote: ^ Surely it would be the other way round seeing as the island behind Swarm is between the two tallest rides already?
I thought that to but when i went to a meeting there i asked them and they said that it is on island E which is the crash pad is where they have a 50m height limit. Whereas island A and C are 40m.

Edit: my bad looking at my notes from the day (which was a while ago) island A has a 60m height limit.
Last edited by sw7nutter on Thu May 02, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
RollercoasterGEEK100

sw7nutter wrote:
Altitude wrote: ^ Surely it would be the other way round seeing as the island behind Swarm is between the two tallest rides already?
I thought that to but when i went to a meeting there i asked them and they said that it is on island E which is the crash pad is where they have a 50m height limit. Whereas island A and C are 40m.

Edit: my bad looking at my notes from the day (which was a while ago) island A has a 60m height limit.
So on Island E can have a 196ft B&M Hyper!

Credit to NemesisRider
sw7nutter

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: So on Island E can have a 196ft B&M Hyper!
no island E which is the crash pad is 160ft where as the island behind swarm (island A) can have 196ft.
Altitude

^ So on E can they build 196ft now or not yet?
sw7nutter

Altitude wrote: ^ So on E can they build 196ft now or not yet?
They could if they wanted to but it would still have to go through planning permission but the council has said that anything under 60m can go there. And as long as they meet there other conditions like only building a coaster every 3 years.
TB2

Trisnie wrote:
DrReeve wrote: Damn height restrictions.
I know the feeling
As much as I can appreciate we have tougher planning regulations and noise restrictions in place and thery are there for a reason it's something we come up short for and so will never have a world leading park in this country  :(
so dreams of a six flags quality park would never happen
Thankfully, the UK never really aims that low..
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Adz
Admin
Admin

Technically the park can apply to build something taller if they wanted, the plan the council has approved is only a rough outline of the way the park intends to develop. The parks overall ceiling height is in the realm of 500ft.

Height isn't everything and if the next coaster conforms to some of the more likely rumours flying around then it will be spectacular anyway.
undeadarmy

Adz wrote: Technically the park can apply to build something taller if they wanted, the plan the council has approved is only a rough outline of the way the park intends to develop. The parks overall ceiling height is in the realm of 500ft.

Height isn't everything and if the next coaster conforms to some of the more likely rumours flying around then it will be spectacular anyway.
I do not care for height, as long as it is as innovative and fun as The Swarm, which is their best coaster in terms of quality so far, in my opinion. Wether it's the one you enjoy riding most is a different matter overall.

I'd like to see a Woodie (like Stampeda!) or a Multi Launch, with good themeing. I also think a flying coaster would work really well on it's own island.
RollercoasterGEEK100

undeadarmy wrote:
Adz wrote: Technically the park can apply to build something taller if they wanted, the plan the council has approved is only a rough outline of the way the park intends to develop. The parks overall ceiling height is in the realm of 500ft.

I do not care for height, as long as it is as innovative and fun as The Swarm, which is their best coaster in terms of quality so far, in my opinion. Wether it's the one you enjoy riding most is a different matter overall.

I'd like to see a Woodie (like Stampeda!) or a Multi Launch, with good themeing. I also think a flying coaster would work really well on it's own island.
They could theme it on some alpine village?

Credit to NemesisRider
bensaund

Sometimes you don't need the height, traditional coasters require a big lift hill to get the momentum, but launch coasters mean that you can remove most of the height requirement. I have been on some big coasters in the states, they are great and the views at the top look fantastic, but when it comes down to the ride, it is nice to have near misses like The Swarm or going down into the ground like Nemesis.
If you go down to the woods today
radiskull

I'm very much for height, it gives you the fear going up and the great feeling of falling. I've recently come back from port aventura and shambhala, and i don't think a launch would ever be as good. Launches are thrilling but its never going to match the blissful sensation of the ups and downs of a good hyper for me. :D
RollercoasterGEEK100

radiskull wrote: I'm very much for height, it gives you the fear going up and the great feeling of falling. I've recently come back from port aventura and shambhala, and i don't think a launch would ever be as good. Launches are thrilling but its never going to match the blissful sensation of the ups and downs of a good hyper for me. :D
Also they say its gunna affect heathrow and no plane flies over thorpe park at 200ft-300ft, they fly more like 1000ft... So they need a hyper.

Credit to NemesisRider