TTF Euro Coaster Poll 2011-12

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

Benzin wrote: Katun needs more love...

Although it and Troy the only ones not to have a 10th place vote... Interesting there...
They got 9th places, though. :P

Also, Katun beat Raptor. I did not see that coming, so really - you should be very pleased that Katun has finished 3rd. It's doing very well!

:)
Miles Hi

I know it depends on personal taste, but, I´ve been on both Raptor and Katun last year, and perfer Katun a thousand times to Raptor  ;)
Dylan

Balls, I thought this finished on Sunday :(
My vote for Superman would not have made it qualify anyway, so that's not too bad but the top four would have been in my top four so that's okay.
Islander

Damn, first round I've missed :(.

More or less agree with the top five, except that Fluch should've been in there.
Bote

Looks like I'm not the only one who missed this round then :P

My votes would have been very much the same as the results though, but maybe with FvN coming 6th or maybe even 5th.
AstroDan

The next voting phase, Semi Final 2, will begin during the evening of Monday, 20th February.

AstroDan

Apologies but due to being very late in from work this evening, the Semi Final 2 will now begin on Tuesday, 21st February.

AstroDan

SEMI FINAL 2

Voting Time for this round is 4 days (c96 hours). The top FIVE ranked coasters will qualify for the Semi Finals.

There are 10 coasters in this group. To vote, you need to rank each in order of preference from 1st  (best) to 10th (least favourite). Please remember that when voting, your user name and voting habit will be visible by the poll administrators and may be published on the forum. Both myself (poll co-ordinator) and Chris (poll technical admin) will be monitoring all voting during the poll. Keep an eye out on http://www.facebook.com/towerstimes for updates to start/end times of voting rounds, too!

1st placed coaster is awarded 10 points, 2nd is awarded 9 points etc.

Please inform yourself via the RCDB website for the relevant coaster, which will give you specs and photo's. You can also search Youtube and watch a ride Point Of View (POV) video, otherwise known as an 'onride' video! But remember, these videos often do rollercoasters, particularly those partially or entirely indoors, an injustice.

SEMI FINAL TWO:

Silver Star
B&M, Mega Coaster
Europa-Park, Germany

iSpeed
Intamin, Blitz
Mirabilandia, Italy

Black Mamba
B&M, Inverted Coaster
Phantasialand, Germany

Piraten
Intamin, Mega-Lite
Djurs Sommerland, Denmark

Balder
Intamin, Wooden Coaster
Liseberg, Sweden

Dragon Khan
B&M, Sitting Coaster
PortAventura, Spain

Colossos
Intamin, Wooden Coaster
Heide-Park, Germany

Megafobia
CCI, Wooden Coaster
Oakwood, UK

Batman La Fuga
B&M, Inverted Coaster
Parque Warner, Spain

Van Helsing's Factory
Gerstlauer, Bobsled
Movie Park Germany, Germany

VOTING OVER
18:40
25/2/12
Last edited by AstroDan on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaze

Made a mess and submitted Colossus last, so I've done it again. Any way of getting rid of my original vote?

10. Van Helsing
Can't say a little family ride is top ten

9. Dragon Khan
Not their finest hour, 9th may be harsh, but it's the best it can do

8. Megafobia
Feel bad putting it this low, but it has to be done

7. Silver Star
It has a strong chance to qualify, but I don't think it's got enough going for it myself

6. Black Mamba
Doesn't matter where I put it, it will coast through. This is as high as I would place it.

5. Batman La Fuga
Says a lot about B&M that I'd rather ride this clone than the other two.

4. Balder
Amazing how much ride they crammed into such a small space.

3. iSpeed
Amazing until the MCBR, then it's just a waste of track, but it's good enough for third

2. Colossus
What it lacks in layout, it makes up for in WOW

1. Piraten
Probably will be my winner in the next round.
James6

Easy top 5 for me, almost impossible to place each of those 5 though.

1. Black Mamba - looks incredible, theming and ride wise! Can't wait to ride in April! :D
2. Silver Star - Looks like a beautiful hyper, at an amazing park
3. Balder - One of the rides I'd most like to try, awesome layout and loads of airtime!
4. iSpeed , a launcher with substance! :D
5. Piraten - Incredible off-the-shelf layout, a lack of theming however

6. Colossos
7. Van Helsings Factory
8. Megafobia
9. Batman La Fuga
10. Dragon Kahn
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Chris W

Blaze wrote: Made a mess and submitted Colossus last, so I've done it again. Any way of getting rid of my original vote?
When you resubmit your vote it deletes your previous vote so it's fine :)
Blaze

Oh good, thanks! :P
Mattmash

10.  Van Helsing's Factory* - Great ride, lots of fun for it's small size and some really good theming.  Don't think it deserves to go any further than this though.

9.  Dragon Khan* - Good old school B&M, just prefer others in this group.

8.  Megafobia* - Without doubt one of my favourite coasters in the UK, this is a great woodie.

7.  Colossos* - Didn't quite live up to expectations but a great ride none the less.  Floater airtime aplenty.

6.  Batman La Fuga - Can't wait to ride this in Summer, will hopefully be able to rank it better next year.

5.  Silver Star* - I could have easily ranked this as low as 8th in this group but I feel it deserves to go through to the final.  Front row rides are sublime and there is some great floater airtime. Slightly swayed by the fact it will be it's last year as Europe's tallest coaster and the only B&M hyper in Europe.

4.  Black Mamba* - Slightly lacking in layout and intensity, but that is more than made up for by the amazing theming and landscaping.  A true masterpiece and front row rides are incredible.

3.  Balder - Looks like a great compact woodie, with bags of airtime.

2.  Piraten - Yay, more airtime :P

1.  iSpeed - This looks like it could be an exceptional ride and the closest thing to Maverick in Europe.  Probably my most wanted ride in Europe right now, although only till August ;)
JoshC

1. Silver Star
Currently my favourite coaster and most definitely the the one I most want to ride again out of the group, this is defo going to get my top spot! :D

2. Black Mamba
One of the best inverted coasters I have ever been on, and has fantastic themeing! Loved it!

3. iSpeed
Currently up there in my most wanted rides to ride list, looks awesome!

4. Dragon Khan
Sure it's a basic B&M which looks the same as all the others, but I loved it when I went on, so it continues to be one of my favourites.

5. Balder
Looks like an amazing woodie, and it seems to get rave reviews, so that puts it high up on the list.

6. Colossos
Another awesome looking woodie, and defo one that I want to ride in the future.

7. Piraten
Lots of people rave about this, and dont get me wrong, it does look good, but after watching the pov again ive come to the conclusion that I wouldnt want to ride it as much as the others above it.

8. Batman
Looks like an awesome invert, but not as good as some of the others. Give me Mamba or Katun anyday :P

9. Megafobia
Never been on it, but judging from the pov it doesnt look as good as the other woodies in the group.

10. Van Helsing's Factory
Looks like a fun family ride, but it's completely outclassed here unfortunately.
Last edited by JoshC on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

1: Black Mamba*
Theming alone makes this a top coaster in Europe. Absolutely sumblime. The ride seems less intense of late compared to a few years ago, but it's still a sensational experience. If people think Merlin have got good theming with Swarm, Krake and Raptor you really need to check out some videos and pictures of this. It's up there with Disney.

2: Balder
This looks like a great coaster and one I would dearly love to ride. I was let down by Colossos a little, but this looks more twisty which appeals greatly. Bucket loads of airtime, too - no doubt.

3: Silver Star*
I toyed with putting this in 4th, below iSpeed. However, this is a coaster that I love to ride. It has bags of floaty airtime, and is a joy to behold. With a massive capacity, amazing maintenance which makes it look brand new even though it's going into its 11th season and a comfort level beyond any Intamin - this is a top quality ride.

4: iSpeed
Looks brilliant. Looks like Maverick crossed with Blue Fire. Can't say I am keen on the restraints through some of the ride, and the last bit looks pointless - but I like the look of it.

5: Dragon Khan*
I am suprising myself by placing this in 5th, but as much as it left me with a headache - this is old-skool, intense B&M. And for that, I say Yee-Haw!

6: Batman La Fuga - classic B&M with an intense layout. Inverts are top dog, but sadly it's just outside of the top 5 for me here.
7: Piraten - as much as the airtime is amazing no doubt, I kind of already know exactly how this coaster will feel. I get the impression that for Intamin to make an airtime machine is just another days work. However... I would love to ride this as it looks like Mini EGF or something!
8: Colossos* - it's a cracking coaster, almost a Wooden Silver Star but with a Gerstache helix.
9: VHF* - amazing theming, but its time has come.
10: Megafobia* - it is a good coaster, but it's not as good as Zeus which has already gone out... so this has to be last for me here.

Last edited by AstroDan on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bote

1: - Black Mamba - I believe I've said everything there is to be said about this in other rounds :P

2: Silver Star - It's a big, mean, clean, hyper machine :P Takes a coaster format I usually don't care for and makes me love it!

3: Piraten - Again, looks punchy and fun. A seriously nice model that I think we should see more of. Intamin at their best

4: AyeSpeed - Looks like a punchy and fun ride. Just a shame about the name! It comes in very close to Piraten for me, but just falls a little short.

5: Dragon Kahn - A great ride, but lacking a little in comparison to some of the other rides in this group.

6: Colossos - Same as Kahn; Very good, but not quite good enough for at this stage.

7: Balder - I gave this the benefit of the doubt in the last round, but I think it must be something you need to ride to truely appreciate. For that reason I don't think I can place it any higher at this stage. I can tell it's not bad, but without riding I don't seem to get that "WOW!" factor most of the other rides above it clearly give me.

8: Batman - It's good, but I don't think it should go any further at this stage. There are many much better coasters in the contest that are more deserving.

9: Van Helsings Factory - A beautiful little ride, and it pains me to rank it this low, but like many others in this group, it can't go any further if you ask me.

10: Megafobia - For me this comes last in this group. Like I said in previous rounds I don't really "get" this ride. Whilst I ranked it 6th in the last round I think it really falls short compared to the competition at this time. Sorry!
Benzin

10 - Van Helsing's Factory - Really? Where's Revenge of the Mummy when you need it? Not good enough to get any further here really...

9 - Colosos - Realllllllly over-rated imo... Just doesn't have the same feel as a normal Wooden coaster, and like most Intamins, is rather bland after a good first drop...

8 - Dragon Khan - Much prefer Kumba to this, and potentially also sits on the hill of over-rated rides...

7 - Piraten - Probably over-rated as well, but no real idea what it's like but I doubt it's as good as other rides...

6 - Silver Star - Kinda tied with Piraten, and weird that no-one calls it out on the whole car park coaster thing, plus when I last rode it the trims were awful and ruined the ride...

5 - Batman La Fuga - To be fair to it, it looks great, and the other Batman clones are good fun as well, but not as good as the others...

4 - Balder - Maybe too high? Not sure here, considering I didn't like Colossos, I probably wouldn't like this, but hey ho...

3 - Megaphobia - Love this one, it's really just fun... Why Ton of Air isn't here I don't know, but this can carry the CCI flag for certain...

2 - iSpeed - This is a great ride ruined by the restraints (Typical Intamin)... Though just for the launch alone it deserves a spot high up, even if my neck disagrees with me...

1 - Black Mamba - Great theming, great atmosphere, great beginning, mediocre ending... Ticks most of the boxes and in a much more difficult group just sneaks into the lead...
Pennywise

10. iSpeed - Impressive but not entirely my cup of tea. It's an Intamin launch coaster, which I dislike. It lacks theming, which I dislike. And it's not exactly rich in theming... I can understand the support for it, but I'm not exactly eager to ride.

9. Batman La Fuga - In a group with Black Mamba? It doesn't stand a chance of progression... rightly so, really, it's a semi-final coaster but nothing more. Just a run-of-the-mill B&M invert with a garish colour scheme.

8. Dragon Kahn - It's an impressive coaster... but ultimately not unique enough to warrant my vote at this stage. There's nothing stand-out about it, and the similarities it between Dragon Kahn and Superman, which crashed out in the first semi-final, aren't difficult to point out.

7. Piraten - It looks small, but at the same time I'll happily admit that it most likely packs a punch. When compared with Silver Star, however, it pales... and the surrounding area is ridiculously sparse. A missed opportunity for something really special, due to the lack of theming, I feel.

6. Silver Star - Mixed feelings from me on this one... I can't argue with the fact that air-time is very much present throughout the ride... but I retain my dislike of the lack of theming and unfortunate car park surroundings, sadly.

5. Van Helsing's Factory - I must admit, I'm surprised to find myself voting for this little family coaster yet again... but I just can't find fault with it! It's what I'm sure Disney set out to do with their coasters... but to a higher standard. Must ride.

4. Black Mamba - Wonderful coaster with an excellent standard of theming. It's a little bit by-the-numbers, in terms of layout, but I've never been one to complain about such things. It's the number one steel coaster in the group, for me.

3. Colossos - Well, this group is certainly all about wood for me! I anticipated my top two being as much, but I can't resist placing Colossos in third place, also! It looks inferior to the other two layouts, but still a bit of an air-time machine and a coaster which I intend to ride in the future.

2. Megafobia* - I fully expect to be accused of fanboyism here... it's the only coaster that I've ridden to have reached the semi-finals of this competition, but deservedly so! It's an utterly insane coaster, truly unique due to its location and the ride which means that I rate Oakwood so highly, ultimately.

1. Balder - What can I say about this coaster? Really? I think the POV says it all, in a way... it's compact and damn is there a lot of air-time to be had! I wouldn't object to seeing it win the entire poll, certainly.
John

^ You've knocked iSpeed, Piraten and Silver Star for their lack of theming yet put 3 entirely unthemed rides top?
Pennywise

John wrote: ^ You've knocked iSpeed, Piraten and Silver Star for their lack of theming yet put 3 entirely unthemed rides top?
Yes. I have.

The primary difference, for Megafobia and Colossos at least, is the fact that their settings are picturesque enough to provide an idyllic backdrop in themselves, in the same way as The Ultimate, I actually feel as though theming would detract from the experience, rather than add to it. iSpeed, Piraten nor Silver Star could be described as having pleasant surroundings, and thus it acts as a deterrent from them... for me, at least.

But at the same time I'm judging the coasters for the coasters. If I like what I see then I'm going to attempt to justify a high placing, and if I don't then I'm going to look for reasons as to why I should choose to place them so low. I'll happily admit to that.

Last edited by Pennywise on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.