Ride accidents 2012

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Rider hurt in Disney safety glitch.

CHIBA — A 34-year-old man sustained a minor injury at Tokyo DisneySea while trying to get off a roller coaster that took off with his safety bar up, police said Tuesday.

Fast track: Tokyo DisneySea's popular Raging Spirits high-speed roller coaster, on which a rider was hurt Monday, provides thrills in 2005 at the Urayasu, Chiba Prefecture, theme park.

It is the first time that a rider has been injured on an amusement attraction at Tokyo DisneySea or Disneyland, according to their operator, Oriental Land Co.

The accident occurred on the Raging Spirits high-speed coaster at around 4 p.m. Monday when the man moved his right leg out of his tram and onto the boarding platform out of fear when the ride took off without the shoulder bar on his seat properly secured, the police said.

He sustained a minor injury when his leg was dragged about 2 meters on the platform.

The eight other people in the linked trams were uninjured, according to the police.

Passengers are required to pull down the shoulder bars by themselves while staff push down the bars for empty seats and lock them before the roller coaster leaves the starting area.

But just before the incident occurred, one of the employees temporarily unlocked the safety bars, finding a bar on one of the empty seats still up, the police said. The police believe the bar on the man's seat also went up with the unlocking as he failed to hold onto it.

On Tuesday, Tokyo DisneySea and Disneyland opened at 9 a.m. as usual, after Oriental Land ordered staff to conduct safety inspections. The operator said it will suspend the ride until its safety is confirmed.
How come more incidents recently are happening in the Tokyo Disneyland than the rest at the moment?
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
cubwolf

INVESTIGATIONS are still continuing at a Christchurch family theme park after a ride’s cable snapped on Wednesday.

The incident on the PollyDrop ride at Adventure Wonderland in Christchurch led to one woman, 39-year-old Regan Jones, being taken to hospital and two children, Katherine Hill, 10, and Timothy Hill, seven, being treated for shock at the scene.

Bosses say a back-up cable came into action preventing a much more serious incident and injuries.

Witnesses have reported the seats “plunging” to the ground.

Avril Kirkwood, 65, from Wallisdown in Bournemouth, was at the front of the queue with her daughter, Melanie Driver and two grandsons, Jack and Michael, when the incident took place.

She said: “It was about halfway up when I saw it just come down.

“It just plunged straight down. People just gasped.

“There were pieces falling about next to the ride.

“Everyone was shocked and we left straight away.

“The children were crying and the poor woman just looked shocked.”

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9750607.Investigation_ongoing_after_Adventure_Wonderland_ride_drama/?ref=fbrec
LondonLiam

Girl critical after theme park fall:

http://goo.gl/yI8fX
Rowe

LondonLiam wrote: Girl critical after theme park fall:

Already covered the story in this topic here :)
Big Dave

Still an accident though so...

I normally browse the net looking for stuff and do a few all in one go, but alas im really busy working nights.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2
Vladimir Bobinski

LondonLiam wrote: Girl critical after theme park fall:

Is it that surprising, the part of the queue line that goes and up and down before going inside is in an awful state.

Something from the IAAPA
In 2010, approximately 290 million guests visited U.S. amusement facilities and safely enjoyed 1.7 billion rides. The most recent Fixed-site Amusement Ride Injury Survey highlights that an estimated 1,207 ride related injuries occurred in 2010. Only 59 of the injuries in 2010 were reported as “serious,” meaning they required some form of overnight treatment at a hospital; this comprised roughly 5 percent of all ride injuries.

The Report, which summarizes amusement ride injuries in the United States, is updated annually.
Deleted

Tutuki Splash, Port Aventura.

The more I see of this park, the less I want to visit it.

Adam

What's the most disturbing about that incident, is how casual the staff were acting... I mean, yes don't start panicking... but seriously.. that could have been nasty! Very lucky no-one was hurt!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Boz

does that ride not have a blocking system? surely another boat shouldn't have been able to descend if the last boat hadn't left the run off yet?
Adam

I can only assume the sensor is before/under the viewing platform, therefore had cleared the system before it stalled.
PeteB

Saw that last night just before I went to bed. Really shocked.

Surely whatever sensors are there should be right at the end of the splash so if a boat did get stuck (or derail as in that video) there would be little to zero chance of the boat behind colliding.

That could have been very nasty if someone had got in the way of the boats.
Jammydodger

I don't know whether its because we're so Health and Safety obsessed in the UK, but there are just so many things wrong with that video.

People just being able to get out and jump in the water, the lack of security cameras watching out for this,  the staff just wading through the water to push it back home, the group of people just piling out of the lift hill at once.

Makes you appreciate some of our ridiculous laws.
PeteB

To be fair I think if that had happened in the UK everyone would have done the same and got out of the derailed boat. It's simply not worth taking the risk of staying in it and getting hit by the boat behind. It's instinct to remove yourself from danger.
cubwolf

Adam wrote: I can only assume the sensor is before/under the viewing platform, therefore had cleared the system before it stalled.

Looking at the video the sensor is indeed just after the bridge and the boat had passed it.

That could have been a whole lot worse if they hadn't have bailed out. Shocking video though
Adam

Turns out, from what I hear, the flume dis-railed due to being loaded incorrectly. All the weight was towards the back of the boat, which meant as it hit the water, the front of the boat lifted up, then got stuck on the trough.
MattsDesigns

Honestly not wanting to make fun of ride accidents - I think this thread is justified because tells the knowledge base (which includes park employees) whats possible.  :|
so this is one thing that can happen...
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Tom G

How on earth...?
Adz
Admin
Admin

All aboard the failtrain!

Looks like it simply fell over...
cubwolf

From the Facebook page of my local showman...

We are very saddened to report to you that there was an accident at around 6.30pm tonight at our fair on Abbey Park. The ride involved in the incident is called Mega Bounce (frog ride). Two boys aged approximately 16 years were injured and taken to the Royal Infirmary. A full investigation has begun and the fair will remain closed until further notice. We are awaiting further information on the condition of the injured boys and we will inform you as soon as we know anything. Our thoughts are with the boys and their families at this time.

Source http://www.facebook.com/BBfunfair?ref=stream
Deleted

Very professional of Billy Bates to post such an update. Shows he has nothing to hide.