Strange Rides

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
DiogoJ42

First one looks like something I'd try. The second one looks like a death trap :lol:
Mi-Nigle

mathmos wrote:http://youtu.be/cRqWkV6NVCU - AMOUR EXPRESS -Modern much faster reworking of the classic Caterpillar Ride, would love to see something like this travelling over here too,very much a novelty and great fun to watch as much as ride! :D

Love the curtains that appear out of nowhere! Very interesting.
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

With regards to Armor Express I remember Southport Pleasure Island used to have a similar ride when I was young. Although know where near the speed in which that travels, it did have a curtain which used to come over the ride half way through.

MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Big Dave

"Those curtains need cleaning!"
mathmos

The Southport Caterpillar is one of the Original 1930s Caterpillar rides, it is due to be restored for the Margate Dreamland park, much more sedate but still a classic.
The term for the 'curtains'  is a Hood :lol:, gives a very unusual and claustraphobic experience if you are riding at night as you are basically in total darkness so you lose your bearings lol 8)
Rode several different versions over the years, remember the first time I saw one was at Nottingham Goose Fair in the 90s, very fast ride, the old type Hood, cable and cotton bobbin mechanism is very clever,was very popular and still a strange machine after all this time...
DiogoJ42

I went on PBGY's Catepiller with ZS Chris last year... When the hood came over us, the guy infront of me smashed a stink bomb! In the enclosed, revolving space, the stench quickly spread to everyone on board. Grim, but no one suffered more than the guy who pulled the prank, since he was right on top of ground zero. :lol:
Poison Tom 96

mathmos wrote: Stumbled across these 2 really really weird ones..... :lol: first one looks like a cross between the Roller and an old Mystic Swing ride ...

:shock:
i would def go on both of those :)
CJH

"The Eggs"- Is how I know it as a child.

It's like a ferris wheel, but goes crazy fast and pods invert.

This is the only video I can find though sorry.

The Mellenium Bug- The name of it near me when it comes around.
Like enterprise but the seats are facing outwards so you spin to your side. It's crazy!
Chris 21 Manchester
Mattmash

My favourite childhood ride!  I just knew them as the eggs too, used to absolutely love them, could get some crazy rides.
Mi-Nigle

CJH wrote: "The Eggs"- Is how I know it as a child.

It's like a ferris wheel, but goes crazy fast and pods invert.

This is the only video I can find though sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsOG1yV7kMk

The Mellenium Bug- The name of it near me when it comes around.
Like enterprise but the seats are facing outwards so you spin to your side. It's crazy!

;)
AdrenalineAlex

DiogoJ42 wrote: What a Zipper? I've not seen one in the UK for years.
No no no, the flat from the German fair you posted the video of, I'm sure they're getting something very similar anyway, and as for the Zipper, are you sure one hasn't been operated as I'm convinced last year one of my local fairs had one there but we didn't ride it, wonder if I can find a picture bare with me.

I was wrong about the German fair flat, I suppose it's a bit similar though.

EDIT: it's definitely not a zipper after seeing the last two posts, it was one 'the eggs!' i was talking about!
Last edited by AdrenalineAlex on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiogoJ42

Ahh, a Rock O Plane. Again, they are win. :mrgreen:
CrazyTowers

Spike wrote:
Kicking off with this odd fairground ride  :?

Imagine those cars going REALLY fast! Now that would be stupidly excellent. (I've been on one on holiday, my sister covered her eyes because "it was scarey" hah hah hah!
Last edited by CrazyTowers on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's been a while.
ATJoseph

GuestAgain

Are you INTIMIDATED by the new 500ft tall launched Pinfari log flume with 3 side-by-side circular loops and splashdown on fire?
mathmos

ATJoseph wrote: What about This by Chance Rides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=PCbd7WUXmYs  :shock:
The Down Force is a reworking of the old Herschell 'ROK N ROLL ride from the 50s, really cool!
Pricey ;)

4G- Magic Park
Now I know this sounds strange but not so much the ride which is strange here but the shear speed its set on! Looks lethal if you ask me. (Still wish i could ride!)
RyanY

They've got ones of those over at Pleasure Island, http://www.pleasure-island.co.uk/rides/ ... romax.html

And they had one at Lincoln fair 6 months ago, but I refused to ride on the basis they don't look safe.
DiogoJ42

:shock: Not safe? :P Boosters are fine mate. They are also brilliant rides.
Ritadz

DiogoJ42 wrote: :shock: Not safe? :P Boosters are fine mate. They are also brilliant rides.
They bloody well aren't. :P