Blackpool Tower

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
PETER MOWBRAY

We decided on a trip to the Tower to see some Wrestling.... :lol:
What a laugh..We booked front row seats so we didnt miss any of the action... 8)
But first we were allowed into the tower itself so we decided to go up it before the wrestling started...

excuse the quality as I left my camera at home and had to use my Nokia95..

Brads Floating... :roll:

Views of Blackpool... :doh

Time for the Wrestling....

First Fight USA vs England.... tehe

USA Won... :tears

Next up Scotland vs England.... :clap1

And then it was the turn of the Ladies.... :cool :drool

Hellllloooooo..... :clap1

The final match was a tag team contest between USA & England..
England Won...

We had time to pop up the tower before it closed for the night...

Views Of Blackpool Illuminations....

Daytime...

Nighttime...

I hope you enjoyed seeing my pictures...
For the latest news and quality updates from Blackpool & The Pleasure Beach look here..
Click on the Domain..! [url=http://www.liveinblackpool.co.uk\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.liveinblackpool.co.uk[/url]
seanyboyuk

great pics there!
i love the tower!
i dunno how you took so many pics with that phone mine dies on 5 mega pixel mode after about 5 pics lol
PETER MOWBRAY

[quote=""seanyboyuk""]great pics there!
i love the tower!
i dunno how you took so many pics with that phone mine dies on 5 mega pixel mode after about 5 pics lol[/quote]

Thanxs mate...
I normally take my camera but I left it at home..
My N95 has a 4gig card so it can take loads..
I havnt really used it before as a camera so most of the shots are blurry but I thought it might be an intresting update.. 8)
For the latest news and quality updates from Blackpool & The Pleasure Beach look here..
Click on the Domain..! [url=http://www.liveinblackpool.co.uk\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.liveinblackpool.co.uk[/url]
flange

Merlin to help make Blackpool a top destination!

March 30, 2010

Merlin, one of the leaders in the Entertainment field and owners of Legoland and Sealife have been drafted in to work in Partnership with Blackpool Council. The partnership, which will see £10million pumped into the town attractions will see major revamps to the Tower and Louis Tussards. Work is due to start in the Autumn. Merlin already has close links with the town through it’s Sealife centre which is located just minutes down the promenade from the tower.

As part of the plans for the Tower, they plan to introduce a thrilling new Dungeons attraction, and make changes to the top of the Tower, which include Merlin using it’s experience in running the London Eye to develop the current observation platform at the top of the Tower into an exciting new ‘Eye’ branded experience, including a 4D cinema preview show.

As well as this the current Louis Tussards attraction near by will be transformed in the UK’s second home of Madame Tussards, bringing the world renowned brand to Blackpool for the first time. It is planned for Madame Tussards to open in Spring 2011.

The current restoration programme for Blackpool Tower itself will also continue, and from next year visitors will again be able to wander round and enjoy the beautiful historic building. Finally, the famous Ballroom and Circus will be retained and are expected to be in great demand in the future to host a programme of exciting new events.

Blackpool council estimates that these plans could generate an extra 800,000 to the town every year, generating a staggering £55million extra spend across the town!
http://liveinblackpool.co.uk/magazine/2 ... stination/
Blackpool brings in Merlin Entertainments for £10m Tower regeneration

David Quainton, 30 March 2010

Blackpool Council has brought in Merlin Entertainments to run a £10m overhaul of the iconic Blackpool Tower and surrounding area.

The event spaces are to be spruced up in an attempt to establish Blackpool as a "world class family leisure destination".

Merlin already owns the Sea Life centre located on Blackpool's promenade, but will add a dungeon attraction, a similar 4D preview show to the one it has added to the London Eye, and improvements to the Louis Tussauds waxworks, which will be transformed into a second Madame Tussauds.

Madame Tussauds will open in Spring 2011, Tower improvements will open later in the same year.

It is hoped the plans will bring both tourism and corporate events money into the seaside resort.

"This is a bold but necessary initiative which provides the best possible platform for strengthening the destination role of the town," said regeneration body ReBlackpool chairman Sir Howard Bernstein.

"I am confident that this will result in a significant increase in jobs and visitor numbers and will weld together all the other valuable projects and programmes which are designed to make Blackpool an attractive place to live, visit and invest."
http://www.eventmagazine.co.uk/News/Mos ... eneration/
AstroDan

Fantastic News indeed! Can't wait to see this.
davewazere

hopefully we will be able to use our ap in these new merlin run attractions, then the north will have something to rival london
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/875-big-dave/"]Image[/url]
Dylan

This is good news. As much as I have enjoyed visiting the Blackpool attraction, they have always felt a little tired and in need of some TLC. Hopefully this will give them the boost they need.
A5H

This may mean they slowly start to turn BPB into a more alive and enjoyable theme park, I have always had the feeling BPB is quite old and tired.
The arrival of Infusion was a nice new addition and with a bit of luck they eventually remove some other older rides and replace them with some newer rollercoasters. :D
If anyone can make BPB an amazing theme park, Merlin can :D
Vik

I very much doubt Mandy will sell out to Merlin, not unless the financial situation at PBP becomes dire beyond repair, so any take over of PBP will be a long time coming.

Good news about the other Blackpool attractions non the less though. Though if the attractions of Blackpool Tower & the new Madam Tussauds were to become available on the Merlin AP then I would imagine there will be a nice increase in price next season. Would be nice to explore Blackpool Tower again though, haven't been since I was about 8. I can never justify paying the entrance price.

Be interested to see what they do with Loius Tussauds, which is probably one of the funniest attractions I have ever visited due to the sheer fact that the wax models are so shockingly poor they are laughable.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Crofty

[quote=""Vik""]I very much doubt Mandy will sell out to Merlin, not unless the financial situation at PBP becomes dire beyond repair, so any take over of PBP will be a long time coming.
[/quote]

I think this is exactly what she would like. I'm sure she would prefer to take a lead role in the entertainment side of Merlin in exchange for Merlin taking over the running of PBP.
I hope it doesn't happen though, I don't think she deserves an easy ride.

Great news for the Tower though! Are these still the same owners of Blackpool tower that also own Oakwood?
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Excellent news! Couldn't be happier with this decision. :mrgreen:

All we need now is for them to buy Mandy Land and run it properly along with injections of well needed cash. :)

EDIT

It appears Merlin will run the tower not be in partnership
Tower sold in landmark £40m deal

Blackpool Tower

Published Date:
30 March 2010
By Jon Rhodes
BLACKPOOL Tower and Winter Gardens were today sold to the resort in a £40m deal.
The iconic buildings – together with a host of other Golden Mile attractions – are now in public ownership for the first time in their illustrious history.

A combination of local and central government cash has been used to buy the resort's tourism crown jewels from Sir Trevor Hemmings' Leisure Parcs group.

And The Gazette can exclusively reveal Merlin Entertainments Group – operators of such landmark attractions as the London Eye and Legoland – will take over running the Tower from the end of this year's Illuminations season.

The deal will also see £5.5m immediately spent on revamping areas of the aging Winter Gardens, primarily to bring in more conferences.

Council Leader Peter Callow described today's news as a "massive boost for Blackpool" while Blackpool South MP Gordon Marsden said the landmark deal was a "major opportunity" to not only protect the resort's key assets but to see them prosper in the 21st century.

The deal – which totals £38.9m – was rubber stamped this morning by the Government's Department of Communities and Local Government.

It said this would:
- Facilitate the purchase of The Tower, Winter Gardens, Sea Life Centre, Louis Tussauds, the Indoor Golf Centre, Bonny Street Market and Mr T's Amusement Arcade.
- Fund a £10m programme of repairs for The Tower. The first phase of the project is expected to be completed in time for the beginning of the 2011 tourism season.
- The Winter Gardens will undergo a first phase refurbishment of £5.5m to create a new mid-size, multi purpose conferencing venue. This first phase will focus on upgrading the Pavilion and Arena areas.
- World renowned operator Merlin will take over running The Tower, while Louis Tussauds will be transformed into a northern home for the bigger Madame Tussauds brand.

It is anticipated there will be 800,000 more visitors a year to The Tower following its revamp - which will include a new entrance - almost doubling the current visitor numbers and bringing an additional visitor spend to the resort of £36m per year.

The whole package should create an estimated 1,000 jobs, the Government said.
Source Blackpool Gazette [url=http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/black ... 6190295.jp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/black ... 6190295.jp[/url]
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Benedique

As much as I would love 'Mandy Land' to come crumbling down around her and for Merlin to pick up the pieces, I really would feel sorry for her, especially as the park's been in the family for years her poor dad would probably turn in his grave at the thought of BPB being taken over by someone like Merlin! (however I doubt it would ever happen)

Anyway as a Northerner this gets a HUGEEE thumbs up from me!

I'm starting to worry about the new costs for a MAP now though as they will more than likely add the tower and MT to the line up and, with the new lego discovery centre at Manchester... OUCH! I can see a rise of a good few pounds over the next few months :|
Jordan

This is going to be really good for Blackpool, as the Tower has really gone downhill in recent years. It will be good to have some Merlin attractions in the north too, along with Legoland. And, to be honest, unless some massive additions are made, I can't see the Tower making a hefty price increase on the AP.

I'd love to see someone other than Mandy run BPB, or at least have some creative input into it. BPB's not had a new attraction in years.
scruffy_

I used to love the Tower when i was a kid, but last time i went it just seemed run down and in need of a huge re-think!

Merlin arnt stupid, they know that Blackpool is a top destination for alot of people in the UK

Will be good to see what they do with the place :)
richdirk123

So, if you have a Merlin Annual Pass, Blackpool will be a bloody brilliant place to visit!

With SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, Blackpool Eye, Dungeons and the Blackpool Illuminations, you've pretty much got a free short break!
Madzieee

[quote=""Crofty""][quote=""Vik""]I very much doubt Mandy will sell out to Merlin, not unless the financial situation at PBP becomes dire beyond repair, so any take over of PBP will be a long time coming.
[/quote]

I think this is exactly what she would like. I'm sure she would prefer to take a lead role in the entertainment side of Merlin in exchange for Merlin taking over the running of PBP.
I hope it doesn't happen though, I don't think she deserves an easy ride.

Great news for the Tower though! Are these still the same owners of Blackpool tower that also own Oakwood?[/quote]

I always felt that she didn't want to run the park, was it not her who lead to the closure of Morecambe and Southport? She was just following in her families footsteps, I suppose you can't really blame her but I wish she'd just give it up already. I believe Trevor Hemmings helped her out financially in the past, it's rumoured anyway, (My cousin used to work for him), as he did with the tower but Blackpool's on it's own now.
Also, I've noticed a MASSIVE decrease in visitors this year, I live close by so go often, we get the free Tesco vouchers for it :D, but the past few times the queues for the big one have been getting on the next train straight away, and it was only running one. I think the had close to seven million visitors last year, if they'd added something this year instead of leaving even more rides sbno, then I think they might be able to keep it up, but I doubt they'll come close.
So hopefully it will catch both Merlins and Mandy's interests to make a deal... unless she just wants it to fail altogether...
Also, it's great to finally have some more attractions up north, it'll be worth my money to start getting a merlin annual pass next year. I think they're great value as pbb pass costs more...
flange

Council praises Merlin’s Blackpool Tower plans

2 Aug 2010, 10:40

Michael Hunt

Plans for the refurbishment and restoration of the Blackpool Tower and Louis Tussauds Waxworks have been praised by the council.

Leisure operator Merlin Entertainments, which takes over the running of the attractions in November, has unveiled the proposals.

Blackpool Council completed the purchase of Blackpool Tower, the Winter Gardens and the Golden Mile Centre in March from Leisure Parcs.

Cllr Peter Callow, leader of Blackpool Council, said "Bringing the Tower into public ownership is already paying off and I'm delighted to see the plans Merlin has for the whole complex. This Council wants people to think of Blackpool as a family friendly resort and these new attractions are bound to attract new visitors.

"Having seen what has already been suggested I have no doubt that Merlin is exactly the right partner for us on this project, and that working together we make local residents proud of what their town has to offer.

"We want residents to feel real ownership and pride in the new Tower Complex and the project as a whole. It is "our" Tower now and we plan to breathe new life into this wonderful building."

The council said work will start on transforming Louis Tussauds waxworks into the only Madame Tussauds outside of London once Merlin takes over operation in November.

Blackpool Tower is also set to have new attractions including a dungeons and a 4D cinema experience.

The Grade II-listed Winter Gardens will undergo a first phase refurbishment and upgrading programme to create a new multi-purpose conferencing venue for events and functions.

The first phase of the project expected to be completed in time for the beginning of the 2011 tourism season.

The deal was worth £38.9m with investment divided between the Northwest European Regional Development Fund, which contributed £14m, North West Development Agency, £7.9m, and the Homes & Communities Agency, £7m.

The council contributed £10m towards the refurbishment deal.
[url=http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/ar ... plans.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/ar ... plans.html[/url]
Stern John

Does anyone know yet when we will be able to get into these attractions with the Annual Pass?
I know the Tower will be run by Merlin from November.
john wardley no.1

The idea of Merlin and Pleasure Beach may not be a good idea because PleasureBeach is run as a funfair and Merlin attractions are all run as Theme parks; e.g lond queues = fastrack = loses its traditoinal touch.
Last edited by john wardley no.1 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dormiens-Dave

Well the pleasure beach isnt part of this deal as its a completely seperate enterprise so i wouldnt worry about that aspect.

This should be good for blackpool, i still worry merlin focus too much on marketing to create a truely unique themepark experience anymore (though they are worlds better than the tussauds group was) But one thing Merlin excell at is there Midway attractions and i think they will do wonders with the tower.

The equivalent of two BIG attractions (with numourous small extra's inside) been added to the MAP will almost certainly increase its cost next year.

Also mandy closed southport but she didnt close morcambe that genuinly fell to bad times and couldnt be rescued