Top 10 Coasters

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Mitch

I saw a topic asking about people's favourite 10 rides in Alton and I was surprised to find that such a topic didn't exist for all other coasters. (Within the last year) Basically state your Top 10 coasters and a reason would also be nice. Even if it's really obvious. (I.e. Nemesis)

10. Rock 'n' Rollercoaster - Disney's Hollywood Studios
My very first launched coaster and I distinctively remember being slightly anxious but absolutely loving the ride on my first go! I love the general theme and how Aerosmith is accompanying you in the background for the ride. I definitely have better coasters lower down but it's a very fun ride. I also prefer this one to the Parisian version.

9. Dragon's Fury - Chessington World of Adventures
A real, little gem in the UK. It's not particularly tall nor fast but it packs a huge punch. There is some decent airtime over the hills and I particularly love the way the ride interacts with the Land of the Dragons area. Again, a very fun ride which is often overlooked in my opinion.

8. Apollo's Chariot - Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Some excellent airtime to be enjoyed on this one, it's also noticeably stronger in the back. A very comfortable ride with amazing restraints which provide a good degree of freedom. Also located in a very beautiful setting very much helped by Busch's landscaping skills.

7. Wild Mouse - Pleasure Beach Blackpool
Insane would be a major understatement for this ride. It really is nuts and out of control! Never before have I ever felt that I may possibly die on a ride until riding this! Probably also the only ride I scream on. It's an exhilarating to say the least!

6. The Incredible Hulk - Islands of Adventure
An incredibly intense ride, especially in the first half. The launch is pretty awesome as you get a good kick from it. It sort of dies a little in the second half but nevertheless it is still a top quality coaster. Really looking forward to riding this again next year!

5. California Screamin' - Disney's California Adventrue
The ride isn't really fantastic in terms of intensity or airtime however it provides an incredibly fun experience with pretty much every element you could wish for! A launch, an inversion, some airtime and a smooth ride. It has an excellent soundtrack as well which fits the ride perfectly. It's an amazingly fun coaster and one which I would happily re-ride over and over again.

4. Oblivion - Alton Towers
I was blown away by Oblivion when I first rode. The experience is absolutely terrifying for a first timer helped especially by the ominous theme of the ride. It's a one-trick pony, but the trick it does is probably one of the best tricks out there. Very re-rideable as well.

3. Griffon - Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Whilst the main drop is weaker than its British counterpart, the rest of the ride makes up for it. It's still not particularly long but it packs a punch particularly in the second half where the bunny hops provide a decent amount of airtime. The ride itself also looks absolutely stunning and the interaction with non-riders and the area is excellent.

2. Xcelerator - Knott's Berry Farm
This ride was perched at the top for almost 3 years. A breathtaking launch is made even more amazing due to the lapbars gaining you lots of upper body freedom. The top hat produces some really wicked airtime and the overbanks which follow are a lot of fun. I noticed a MASSIVE difference between the lapbars and OTSR and the lapbars proved to be a far more comfortable and thrilling experience. It's an excellent ride and wasn't easy to overthrow.

1. Alpengeist - Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Absolutely phenomenal! If you're looking for a ride which is crazily intense, this is your ideal ride. The first half consists of a variety of elements which all produce some amazing forces. The massive cobra roll remains to be the most insane inversion I've ever done and the ride itself is relatively smooth. There's some excellent landscaping in the second half and some incredibly snappy turns to look out for. It's also a very unique theme and the setting is gorgeous. Truly outstanding ride!

It'll be interesting to see if anyone shares the same opinion or has a completely different list.
Gloomy Dude

Here's my list. But remember, I'm drawing for a fairly limited pool of coasters compared to some of you lot. Hence nothing from Europa, Thorpe, Mandyland etc

10. Twist and Shout - Loudoun Castle

Maybe a slightly obtuse choice. While I would love to ride Olympia Looping, or whatever Magnum Force is called now, or the sadly defunct Bullet or Thriller or any other one of Anton Schwarzkopf's little pieces of genius, this modest, single looper is all I have. Also, probably the only half decent coaster in Scotland. Schwarzkopf's just have a totally different feel to other coasters that I can't entirely put my finger on. The visceral roar, the simple lap bars, violent breaks and surprising intensity from such a modest looking coaster make Twist n Shout much greater than the sum of its parts.

9. Batman La Fuga - Parque Warner Madrid

While obviously nowhere near as imaginative as Nemesis, Batman is very, very intense (I would high advise back row, near the end of a warm day). Plus, the queue for Batman at Parque Warner is possibly the best themed queue I've ever been in (well, there was no queue, but it was nice to walk through). For anyone with even the slightest interest or knowledge of Batman, the chance to walk through Arkham Asylum is not to be missed.

8. Abismo - Parque de Atracciones de Madrid

A more unique experience than Abismo you'd struggle to find. Especially if you can thwart the X-Car restraints from suffocating you. Maurer need to sort out some of the comfort issues with these restraint, because they are an excellent idea, in theory (of course, you'd hope they'd prioritise making sure their spinners stop killing people). Being winched veritcally up a large tower, before being slowly inverted, hanging by your hips, high above Madrid is just crazy. The rest of the short layout, while short, is surprisingly intense (sadly what looks like an awesome air time hill has little impact due to the over-zealous restraints.) Very, very photogenic ride too.

7 Rita - Alton Towers

Despite some rough patches and an almost laughably short duration, I still love Rita. The build up of tension, from the moment you enter your airgate is electric. Despite there being many, many faster launches out there now, Rita's still has a hell of a wallop to it. Wee bit of air time too... which is nice.

6. Space Mountain: Mission 2 - Disneyland Paris

The unique, unusual layout, the theme, the special effects and the on-board audio more than make up for the roughness of Space Mountain. I love it. My particular favourite moment is the 'spinny red light tunnel' (I don't know the proper Disney fanboy name for this) near the end.

5. Oblivion - Alton Towers

Stripped to its bare bones, Oblivion isn't a particularly scary ride, yet from this simple, humble layout, Alton/John Wardley managed to create one of the most terrifying and intimidating rides in history. Just about everyone seems to be driven to the brink of mental collapse at the prospect of their first ride on Oblivion. I was no exception. Once the fear has worn off, it still has a lot to offer.

4. Nemesis - Alton Towers

As above, what's new to say about Nemesis? The theme, layout, pacing and landscaping is still aeons ahead of its time. The intensity of the first helix, and the pull-out from the vertical loop is amazing.

3. Th13teen - Alton Towers

What is there to say about Th13teen that hasn't been said already? Ridiculously re-rideable, terrificially fun, smooth as butter and cleverly themed.

2. Goliath - Walibi World

I rode Goliath when I was 16, before I was any sort of coaster enthusiast. In fact, I was a total coaster wuss. But after one go, I was hooked. The big, mean, green, Intamin air time machine really deserves its place in the Mitch Hawker top 10. While the theme is patchy to non-existent, it doesn't particularly matter when the ride is this good. Did I mention the beautiful lake side setting?

1. Superman La Atraccion de Acero - Parque Warner Madrid

Absolutely lovely B&M floorless with 7 cracking inversions. Simply the most all-round satisfying coaster I have ever had the pleasure to ride. Nice big first drop, a massive vertical loop, several moments of proper floaty air time and some very intense, ground scraping helices. Decent duration, flawlessly comfortable and all played out in the (usually) glorious Spanish sunshine. Superman's zero-g roll is possibly my favourite element from any coaster, ever. My bum didn't touch the seat once throughout it. Did I mention that it's almost constantly walk-on too? A perfect ride.

Edit - Oh go on then, I'll add pictures. And James6 - major props for including Indiana Jones (ignore the haters :P) It would have been sitting somewhere around my number 11 or 12.
Last edited by Gloomy Dude on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
James6

Hmm...

I find this particularly hard as a lot of my favourite rides aren't coasters, but still :P

One thing I really wish I had more of in my list were wooden coasters.

10. Rattlesnake at Chessington

A bit of a nostalgic choice but I really do love this ride. People complain about the Wild Mouse and I don't know if it's because I haven't been on many but this version at least is incredible fun and the theming is amazing.

9. Colossus at Thorpe Park

One of 2 decent rides at Forp IMO. And this one is definitely my favourite. Absolutely love this ride and it's the one "must" at the park. 10 great inversions and particularly awesome at the front.

8. Space Mountain at WDW

What a great ride. Really well themed and the ride itself is pure fun in the dark, reminds me of Black Hole too :(

7. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril at DLRP

This ride I thought was absolutely brilliant. Yes Disney took the easy option and cloned an already existing coaster but what they did with it is amazing. The theming is simply incredible from the entrance to exit. It really does look like a temple, with these weedy looking mine carts flying around it.

The ride itself is great fun with a few moments of airtime (one in particular is amazing), it is a bit bumpy but it just adds to the fun ;) And that loop caught me out every time.

There's quite a large jump in my opinion of the rides between 7 and the top 6. The top 6 in my opinion really are amazing and whilst I loved the ones from 7-10, they just aren't in the same league. Thought that was important :P

6. Dragon's Fury

One ride sums this ride up... FUN. Seriously, no ride makes me laugh the whole duration the way this one does. The ride makes it's way around the LoTD flying through elements. It's just a fantastic ride and I am now finally a master at getting a good spin ;)

5. Nemesis

Not going to go into detail about Nemesis as it's perfection is probably the most talked about thing here.

But yes... it's incredible and 21 rides in one day will be a day I never forget. :)

4. Th13teen

Now... the majority of you will call me crazy here. But really Th13teen is my no.4 and with good reason. There are lots of things I love in rides, 3 of which are good capacity, extremely fun and re-rideable. Oh, wait, 13 excels in all 3 of them plus other aspects un-mentioned. The outside section "is" fun and those who find it boring well... how can anything where your hurtling over hills through close woodland at a decent speed be "boring" ? Plus with the new adjustable trims you do actually get airtime, even a little (tiny) amount at the very front. I find it hard to explain why I love the ride so much... but I do so there. :P

[spoiler:1tqrbdov]Oh and that drop is simply amazing :)[/spoiler:1tqrbdov]

3. Revenge of The Mummy at Universal Orlando

This ride would get a mention if it was just the dark section that made up the ride. Add into that mix an incredibly detailed queue and an awesome coasters section (and a lot of fire :P) and you have got yourself one heck of an attraction. Also absolutely loved the "ending" ;)

2. Incredible Hulk at IOA

An absolutely phenomenal ride. The feeling of slowly lurching up that tunnel before hearing about the machine malfunctioning and then firing 40mph into a Zero G Roll 100ft+ in the air above IOA... Amazing.

The following 3 inversions make the ride but what follows definitely adds to the ride, even if it isn't up to the impossibly high standards of the first half.

1. Big Thunder Mountain - DLRP

What... A... Ride...

Over 11 years ago now I was visited the Resort as a real youngster with BTM being the only major coaster I was tall enough for. Nevertheless I remember riding it repeatedly in the dark (this was back when there was evening EMH) I really did have a love for the ride back then, and it has remained a favourite all these years after. I was ecstatic to get back on it, but more importantly to see if it lived up to expectations, which it did quite emphatically. Riding 17/18 times over the course of 2 and a bit days probably sums up my love for the ride, and whether that is partly down to nostalgia I don't know but the the theming and incredibly fun and at times quite thrilling ride this attraction gives, along with it being the reason I am here is why it's my number 1.

If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Bear

10. Rita, AT, UK. I really didn't rate this ride until I went on it last Scarefest, with the sky becoming very black and the park rapidly emptying... this made the area kind of intimidating and it totally added to the overall experience! Strong Gs and ejector air are intensified when you really really need a wee.

9. Pusing Lagi, Jerudong Park Playground, Brunei. An extremely poorly-maintained SLC with a custom layout... it actually was my first inverted coaster, and was *incredibly* intense, but the restraints sure weren't happy about my constant smashing into them...

8. Raptor Attack, LWV, UK. Not knowing what the hell's going on really adds to a ride experience!

7. Magnum Force, FL, UK. Basically, it was INTENSE. The 5-point harnesses surely saved me from a serious face-bashing, although a few times I was inclined to take them off at the top of the lift! The first drop was kind of awkward (painful at the back) but very sudden; the banking goes from zero to about 80 degrees in a really short transition! I couldn't man more than 2 rides in a row at any time...

6. Bullet, FL, UK. Rare credit! :mrgreen: My first trip when I was 8 or 9 left me bruised and rather upset. I returned to conquer it at 14, and it was near mind-blowing! The backwards launch up the steep spike actually induced some airtime, followed by a swift pile-driving into your seat through the 270deg turn and the loop, followed by an equally awesome return trip!

5. Spinball Whizzer, AT, UK. I tend to have a thing for rides that beat the *sh1t* out of you, and for a while Spinball was even above Nemesis in my top 10! I have heard that Chessington's spinner is even better, so I can't wait to try it out!

4. Tower of Terror, Dreamworld, Australia. A somewhat gentle launch to 360ft in the air, along with 7 full seconds of absolute floater air. WOW!

3. Oblivion, AT, UK. Nothing ever compares to that insane "OH.. MY.. GOOODDD!" feeling you get when the holding chain disengages... infact, it hasn't since worn off in the slightest!

2. The Ultimate, LWV, UK. Possibly one of the greatest sensations of speed I have ever experienced! The crappily designed transitions and random bone-shaking bumpiness only add to the ride, which incidentally I didn't find painful until my 4th or 5th run!

1. Nemesis, AT, UK. Literally left me speechless the first 4 or 5 times I rode it. Brilliant.
ponder

I've rather shamefully not attended Alton in over 6 years, so I can't comment on a couple of those rides - something I plan to correct when I go in September :)

Anyway...

10. Saw: The Ride (Thorpe Park)

I wasn't sure whether to choose this or Rage at Adventure Island, but although I prefer the layout of Rage to the outdoor section of Saw, the theming and indoor section just edge it out.

9. Dragon's Fury (Chessington)

As mentioned earlier, it's just so much damn fun! It's one of those coasters that pleasantly surprises you when you go on it. Certainly, it was far more forceful and enjoyable than I was expecting, and remains my favourite ride at Chessie.

8. Superman: Ultimate Flight (Six Flags Great Adventure)

Of the two flyers I've been on, Superman just edges out Air. This is largely due to the pretzel loop, which is one of the most unique feelings I've experienced on a coaster.

7. Colossus (Thorpe Park)

A good old-fashioned steel looper. OK, not that old fashioned as it has 10 inversions, but it takes me back to the days of doing Looping Star at Margate as a child, and such like. Damn good fun, but the 4 inline twists are a little uncomfortable - and I'm not usually one to moan about picking up a few bumps and bruises on rides!

6. Bizarro (Six Flags Great Adventure)

A lovely, smooooooth B&M Floorless. Not the most forceful ride in the world, but really enjoyable and re-rideable nonetheless. It also has the biggest loop and cobra-roll I've ever seen!

5. Nemesis (Alton Towers)

Is there really any point in making a comment? You've all ridden it, you all love it. Let leave it at that. :)

4. Stealth (Thorpe Park)

Strange choice, considering I've ridden the bigger and faster Kingda Ka. But there's something about your first launch coaster that sticks with you I think. I was buzzing so much after the first time I rode this, my legs were like jelly and I simply couldn't wait to get back on it! Subsequent rides have never lived up to the first, and the same applied to Ka, so Stealth edges it purely for the memory.

3. Oblivion (Alton Towers)

Blivvy just gives me such a huge rush. The tension that builds up during the queing, the lift hill and the pause at the top, followed by the intense release as you plummet into the hole. Until this year, it was my favourite ride.

2. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure)

Completely and utterly insane hybrid Woody. From the speedy lift hill it just never lets up. Bundles of air-time, super-sharp high speed twists and surprising hidden drops which sends your stomach into the roof of your mouth. It's just crazy. We NEED a hybrid woody in this country.

1. Nitro (Six Flags Great Adventure)

I simply LOVE this ride. Granted, it's the only B&M hyper I've ridden, so the likes of Goliath may top this, but it's just amazing. A pure Airtime machine with near perfect trains and restraints, as smooth as anything I've ridden and with a G-Force heavy Helix thrown in midway for good measure. If there was only 1 coaster I could ride over and over again, it'd be Nitro.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
Mankey

Just to warn you, I've not been to many parks, and I am a severe EP fanboy so yeah! :P

10. Nemesis: Inferno - Thorpe Park
Fun, nothing too amazing though. Good towards the back. This ride used to be very good when all the effects were working, the soundtrack used to be amazing when the ride dispatched every time, shame the subwoofer died! Still not a bad ride!

9. SAW: The Ride - Thorpe Park
Meh, it's okay! A fun ride, but nothing amazing. Love the indoor section, but the outside leaves a lot to be desired! Apart from the airtime hill, thats good! :wink:

8. Oblivion - Alton Towers
Been about 3 years since I've ridden this. I loved it, but ever since have been too scared to re ride. No idea why! But from what I can remember, the sensation in your gut on that drop is sensational! I love the theme of it also!

7. Air - Alton Towers
You all know it! Its different, fun and very smooth. Not so much a scary ride, but fun none the less!

6. Colossus - Thorpe Park
I have a thing for this ride, don't know why, possibly because it was my first inverting coaster. Its rough, it's painful but it's a good laugh! The Cobra Roll is especially fun, and the soundtrack/atmosphere in the area around it is of the best at Thorpe Park

5. Euro Mir - Europa Park
Unique and beautiful, this ride is a bit like Marmite. If you love it, you LOVE IT, if you don't, you despise it. Its fun, and the lift hill is the best experience ever in terms of lift hills! Haha! Can be rough at times, and very intense if you get the backwards segment second.

4. Silver Star - Europa Park
I have an Airtime fetish, and this thing, no matter where you're sitting, does not disappoint! It's just fun! :D

3. Nemesis - Alton Towers
You all know why she's here! The only reason she's not higher is because I feel she needs updating somewhat, given a bit of TLC, sort out the soundtrack problems, paint the station red again and this beast will be back for more!

2. Blue Fire - Europa Park
SMOOTH! One of the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden, combined with the most comfortable seats on any coaster, despite the fact they're only lap bars. Blue Fire is an utter masterpiece, it is forceful but not too forceful that its uncomfortable, and combine that with an utterly blissful ride, you have one of the best rides in Europe.

1. Eurosat - Europa Park

Why? I still cant explain it... is it the atmosphere? is it the ride design? I've no idea! All I know is this ride starts off slow and ends up SO insane its unbelievable! The best dark ride in Europe!
Back from hibernation!
Luce

Hmm, difficult one this but I'll give it a go :)

1. Blue Fire - Europa Park & Superman Escape - Warner Bros Australia. Simply superb coasters and I couldn't resist having two at number 1.

2. Colossos - Heide Park. This is the best woodie I've been on and I loved every minute of it, especially the first drop.

3. Dragon Khan - Port Aventura. Amazing B&M and probably my favourite so far.

4. Nemesis - what else can I add really except for that first helix is my favourite part.

5. Oblivion - it may be short, but I love what experience you get in that time - the blast through the hole is awesome.

6. Euro Mir - Unique coaster but great fun too and the theme tune is really catchy :)

7. Silver Star - I really enjoyed this and loved the floater airtime.

8. Wild Mouse - Blackpool - one of the most insane rides I've done (apart from some travelling fair rides) but also good fun.

9. Tower of Terror - Dreamworld. Another unique ride and one which was fab and the added addition of lapbars enhanced it somewhat!

10. Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster - Warner Bros Australia. Brilliant wild mouse coaster as it's fully enclosed and has some interesting elements to it.
Joe Koopa

Not been to very many parks, so the majority are from the UK -

#10 - Vampire (Chessington)
Not to sure why I like this so much, but I really do. It's great fun!
#9 - Nemesis (Alton Towers)
I see this ride as very, very overrated personally. However, it still has a great layout and theming and is very intense!
#8 - Air (Alton Towers)
I love Air. I just find it really smooth and relaxing, yet thrilling at the same time!
#7 - Nemesis Inferno (Thorpe Park)
I know I'm gonna get a lot of stick for preferring it to Nemesis, but I really do. Intense layout and a fantastic first drop!
#6 - Stealth (Thorpe Park)
I really like Stealth, but not for what it is. In reality, it's just a smaller version of giants like Kingda Ka but as I haven't ridden these it truly is a fantastic ride.
#5 - Oblivion (Alton Towers)
Nothing can beat the feeling of dropping into that hole. Period.
#4 - Shockwave (Drayton Manor)
A controversial choice, perhaps but I really enjoy Shockwave. It's fast, intense and packed with airtime. It would probably rival my number one coaster if only it lasted longer.
#3 - Megafobia (Oakwood)
A lovely family woodie, with some very intense moments filled with airtime.
#2 - Tonnere De Zues (Park Asterix)
Blows the above out of the water! A truly insane ride filled with head choppers, airtime and g-forces!
#1 - Dragon Khan (PortAventura)
It's hard to fault Dragon Khan. There is simply not one dead-moment in it's layout, with even the MCBR being followed by a very intense steep twist! It is a magnificent ride.

:)
Pennywise

These are my top 10, assuming that Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey doesn't count as a coaster. :)

10. Nemesis Inferno (THORPE PARK)
The first of 3 inverted coasters in my top 10, with some forceful elements and reasonable theming. Inferno offers a really smooth ride and fantastic fun.

9. The Ultimate (Lightwater Valley)
Yes, yes... it is very rough, but, unlike almost all Vekoma or Pinfari coasters, it's rough in a fun way. The first section is smooth and good fun, but it's the second section that you ride for, always painful, but never dull. :D Fantastic fun, and due to it's epic length, something you'd be willing to queue a long time for.

8. Revenge of the Mummy (Universal Studios Orlando)
Outstanding theming and effects, coupled with a smooth, fun ride propel this coaster into my top 10. Revenge of the Mummy is an experience, featuring impressive fire effects and some excellent elements, along with the 'dummy ending', meaning that the final drop is completely unexpected. :D

7. Colossus (THORPE PARK)
Colossus, rough? You wimps. This is an absolutely amazing coaster, with 10 perfectly timed and surprisingly scary inversions. Going through the barrel rolls at the end is epic too, expecially on the front. There's some patchy theming thrown in too.

6. Kumba (Busch Gardens Tampa)
Colossus, B&M style. So, yes, perhaps Colossus is a tiny bit uncomfortable, Kumba on the other hand is incredible, not as many inversions (only 7 over here), but again all perfectly timed and very thrilling. The front row in particular is incredible.

5. The Incredible Hulk Rollercoaster (Islands of Adventure)
Fantastic theming, forceful launch and a smooth layout featuring several inversions. Could you ask for any more? This is undoubtedly one of the best coasters of all time, and is fantastic fun for the entire layout. Looses marks due to petering out following the MCBR.

4. Nemesis (Alton Towers)
Enough said. Nemesis is a classic coaster, fantastic theming, some fun, forceful inversions and very much re-rideable.

3. Air (Alton Towers)
Probably the most debatable of my top 10, especially ranking it at number 3. But I love this ride, the originality when it first opened, and the fun of swooping around through the trees as if you're flying. Fantastic fun!

2. Manta (SeaWorld Orlando)
Air, upgraded. The theming here is very similar to that that we originally expected from Air, swooping past rocks and waterfalls. The queue line too is outstanding, queuing through an aquarium is a genius idea. Much more comfortable than Air too, and that pretzel loop is incredible on the front and back rows.

1. Montu (Busch Gardens Tampa)
And my number 1 is... Montu. Many on here rank Nemesis ahead of it, but I beg to differ. This coaster is extremely intense, the inversions are thrilling and the theming is reasonable. If you haven't been on it yet, you have to!

-------------------
Honorable Mentions Outside My Top 10
Oblivion (Alton Towers), Th13teen (Alton Towers), Velocity (Flamingo Land), Dragon Challenge (IOA), Big Thunder Mountain (Orlando Version, Magic Kingdom) & Raptor Attack (Lightwater Valley).

:)