$82 for one day at WDW

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Graham1973

I have just been reading on Screamscape that WDW has made a $3 increase to a one day ticket for WDW parks to take them to an eyewatering $82!

Disney have increased the gate price every single year at least once since 1989 when they held the price for around 18 months.

As for the other Florida parks, Busch Gardens charges $75, Seaworld charges $79 and Universal also charges $79.

I know that Disney do a 7 and 14 day ticket that will save a fair bit of money as do Universal or you can get the flexticket. However as a one day no discount ticket that is a very hefty price to pay for a day at a theme park.

As a comparison here are a few of other prices from parks around the USA

Six Flags Magic Mountain - $60
Six Flags Great Adventure - $55
Kings Island - $50
Cedar Point - $46

I guess that means that Florida visitors get fleeced sadly [-X
Back to Cedar Point - June 4th 2011
Pennywise

Realistically though, how many people are going to pay the 1 day price? Admittedly even when you get a 7 or 14 day ticket it's a bad steep, but comparing fantastic parks such as Disney World, Universal, SeaWorld & Busch Gardens to parks like Cedar Point is the equivalent of looking at Alton Towers and Drayton Manor prices, the parks are beyond comparing.

I'm not agreeing with Disney putting the price up, $82 is a ridiculous price for a day out at a theme park, but it is one of the world's best theme parks and it's highly unlikely people will pay that price, and if they do they deserve to pay $82 for being so thick, in my opinion, just like people who don't use BOGOF vouchers at Alton.

:)
Graham1973

I have just done a quick calculation using Virgin Holidays site as that is who we went with and bought the Theme Park tickets off when we last went to Floridas in 2006.

For the same tickets as we had in 2006 the 7 day Disney pass would cost £229 (£245 in 2011) and the Orlando Flexticket would cost £185 (£205 in 2011).

So that would be a cost of £414 for this year and £450 for next year.

Off the top of my head in 2006 it was £125 for the flex ticket and £175 for the Disney Ticket which is a total of £300 each.

With the greatest of respect I really dont think you can compare WDW/Cedar Point like you would do Alton/Drayton. I love all the parks at WDW and as a theme park day out they are amazing, however for a day out with the very best rides Cedar Point would win easily. :)
Back to Cedar Point - June 4th 2011
AstroDan

It's Disney, not Florida. Disneyland Paris is an extortion too, but people are willing to pay it because it's Disney and the name sells.

I am off to Florida next week and it's about £220 for 2 weeks entry to the Disney Parks which is a ridiculous price, but that's what it costs! This is why they can afford to spend $100m on Expedition Everest etc.

Certainly makes the top Euro parks like Phantasialand (£28), Efteling (£25), Europa-Park (£29) look great value.
NeilHD

I'd like to flip it on its head a bit. As it used to be $79, lets compare the cost to us a bit. Currently with the exchange rate at, say, $1.55 that works out to a bit over £50. This makes it about £10 more than Legoland. Is it worth £10 over Legoland? Definately. Take it back 2 years and the exchange rate was 2:1, making that same ticket the same price as a Legoland ticket. Not a rip-off when looked at like that. I just spent £50 each on 3 concert tickets that will give me 2-3 hours entertainment. Compared to that it's amazing value. A cinema ticket gives 2 hours of entertainment for £10 so £50 gives you 10 hours of cinema. You can spend 14 hours in Magic Kingdom for the same price.

As for the 7/14-day Ultimates, they ARE expensive yes. I spent about £800 on Disney tickets last year. But then again there were 4 of us and that gave us all our entry fees for 2 weeks which works out to about £14-15 each per day. Not exactly hideous. And if you actually know what you are going to do and sacrifice things like DisneyQuest and park-hopping you can buy cheaper Base tickets.

Plus, every Disney park gleams. Everything is maintained to an incredible standard. They even clean all the pavements every single night! That sort of stuff is expensive but when you are there you realise it is the most immersive theme park experience in the world.
AstroDan

I agree that it's a great experience at a Disney Park, but other parks - sorry to bring up the usual, i.e. Europa-Park I actually find BETTER kept even than say Disneyland Paris - when we visited for (free) ERT last April with TTF, they too were blasting all the pavements before park opening from the early hours of the morning, toilets were a lot better etc.

Disney is immersive, Disney do build the most lavish attractions - but even at £220 - which based on 14 days is low per day - you do not visit for 14 days! There is also the Flex Ticket. So, for Disney I would probably expect (when I visit, next week) to spend 5 or 6 days in the Disney parks which £220 / 6 is £37 ish per day. The same Alton Towers but you'd get heavy reductions at most parks based on several days of visits.

It's a rip off, I think pretending otherwise is daft. Still pay it, though!

If it were a toss up between £25 for a day at Efteling or £60 for Disneyland Paris... well...
Jem8472

I am going to Orlando next March, Got the combo tickets (flex ticket but cheaper) but I doubt we are going to do disney. If we did we would only do a park or maybe two. Now with this price rise I dont think we will be visiting. For one day that is a mental amount of money.

If we look at Hollywood studios for $82 we would get one day in the park. I really love thrill rides, not really bothered about shows.
They offer;
Areosmith coaster. Looks good. My wife wants to go on this.
Tower of terror, I would like to do this as people go on about it and it does look good. My wife does not like drop rides so she would not do it.

So two rides... $82...

Ok there are little rides as well, also some shows. I would go and see the shows but thats not why I am in a theme park, I am there for rides and thrills!

So $82 is too over the top for two rides. (ok we would do them a few times each) For my wife it would be for 1 ride.

We did this for the first time we visited Orlando last year. We made a list of all the rides and things at the parks. disney just does not cut it for us. Not enough to make us want to spend large amounts of money going there.
AstroDan

The thing with Disney is that it's not all about the rides anyway. To be honest, if it's pure thrills/rides you want you're best not going to Florida at all and doing Cedar Point or something.

:lol:
Crofty

Ok there are little rides as well, also some shows. I would go and see the shows but thats not why I am in a theme park, I am there for rides and thrills!
To be fair, the whole concept of Disney is to offer you a great day out, Disney don't use rides alone to achieve this. Some of the shows at Disney are astounding and certainly the thing I remember most when I look back on my past visits.

With regard to the price rise I think its a case of what Disney believe they can charge for their product. I think its unfair to compare exchange rates and European attractions etc as they are false comparisons, I think you'd have to compare an Americans wage and how likely it is that they can afford Disney.
I think Disney and the other parks in Florida are places you would visit every couple of years and as such people (including Americans) are willing to save up and spend more on a premium product.

The prices in Florida are much the same anyway so they must be hitting the right price point.
AstroDan

In addition - Florida is tourist magnet - people go for one or two weeks usually so Disney's one day tickets are probably barely ever purchased - much like how barely anyone pays the full gate tariff for Alton Towers.

:)
NeilHD

[quote=""AstroDan""]I agree that it's a great experience at a Disney Park, but other parks - sorry to bring up the usual, i.e. Europa-Park I actually find BETTER kept even than say Disneyland Paris - when we visited for (free) ERT last April with TTF, they too were blasting all the pavements before park opening from the early hours of the morning, toilets were a lot better etc.

Disney is immersive, Disney do build the most lavish attractions - but even at £220 - which based on 14 days is low per day - you do not visit for 14 days! There is also the Flex Ticket. So, for Disney I would probably expect (when I visit, next week) to spend 5 or 6 days in the Disney parks which £220 / 6 is £37 ish per day. The same Alton Towers but you'd get heavy reductions at most parks based on several days of visits.

It's a rip off, I think pretending otherwise is daft. Still pay it, though!

If it were a toss up between £25 for a day at Efteling or £60 for Disneyland Paris... well...[/quote]

That was my point about the Base tickets or Magic Your Way tickets - you can buy what you need rather than just buying a 14-day ultimate and then not using it (which is a mistake I've made twice because, y'know, what if... will not make it again though!)

Interesting the European parks are so cheap - I guess it shows that our own parks are also overpriced.
Joelio

WDW are going through major renovations (its the poorest maintained set of Disney Parks worldwide, with DLP being a close second) they're extending Fantasyland, which has been dire since construction and just improving areas. Star Tours is expecting closure so it can become Star Tours 2 and others.

My point is $3 is a small fish in a big pond.
AstroDan

[quote=""NeilHD""]

Interesting the European parks are so cheap - I guess it shows that our own parks are also overpriced.[/quote]

Sort of - but you don't get the offers for parks in Europe. Like Phantasia/EP etc. you simply pay the standard £28 to get in. Alton may cost more, but most people actually pay more like £20-£25.

I'd probably say the average price paid to enter AT is less than the average price paid for most major parks in Europe.

Disneyland Paris is now around £90-£95 for 2 day hopper which I find quite expensive really.
Joelio

On the Disneyland Paris front, you've also got to bare in mind that of all the attractions there, within the day or two you're there, you'll be able to go on every ride, due to purpose built high throughput rides, the park is designed for people flow, everythings ususally open, unless its having renovation work, its a 365 day park, all year round entertainment, seasonal, looks after all ages...

Also, if the OP is complaining about the WDW price rise, it'd only be fare to complain about the price rise for everything ever.

Also AstroDan, for £105 (€129) you can get a DLPAP which allows for 335 day entry which I find quite cheap really.
Benedique

[quote=""Joelio""]
Also AstroDan, for £105 (€129) you can get a DLPAP which allows for 335 day entry which I find quite cheap really.[/quote]

Are you being serious Joelio? As if DLPAP is cheaper than a Blackpool Pleasure Beach AP...fail
Joelio

[quote=""Benedique""][quote=""Joelio""]
Also AstroDan, for £105 (€129) you can get a DLPAP which allows for 335 day entry which I find quite cheap really.[/quote]

Are you being serious Joelio? As if DLPAP is cheaper than a Blackpool Pleasure Beach AP...fail[/quote]

Sure is, not sure if I can post this link but...

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/planning/booki ... passports/
Themeparksandy1981

$82 is a lot for Americans when most of them need the tips as well just to live on. The day ticket is mainly for locals at the weekends. It is a lot when you think for double that you can have a 12 month Merlin annual pass and 50% off there international parks.
Me and the girlfriend have been twice to Florida and going in Sept next year and all 3 times we been booked into a Disney hotel as with the hotel,tickets and free Disney dinning plan its worked out cheaper than staying off site.
Mankey

Eep! I paid about £75 for entry to EP last oct, and that was for a 3 day ticket! (Which may I add is money VERY well spent!)

The thing is though, Disney parks can and will charge this. If you mention the word "Theme Park" to someone they will instantly think "DISNEY!" Disney are seriously holding the floor when it comes to running theme parks, purely because of how mainstream they actually are. If someone from the general public was given the ultimatum "Europa Park or Disneyland Paris for a weekend?" I can guarantee they'd all say Disney Paris. Why? Because they know entirely what they're getting themselves in for. Everyone knows what kind of service you're going to get at Disney, and quite frankly it's top notch. People will not be that willing to push their boats out that little bit further and explore some of the lesser known (and arguably better) theme parks in Europe because it's not familiar to them! Everyone knows the Disney characters, everyone will go to these parks and recognise familiar scenes from the films. You simply cannot do this at somewhere like Phantasialand or Europa Park. (I was going to mention Efteling then, but then remembered its built around fairy tales! :lol: )

As for the whole Florida part of this... Well, it's Florida. Complaining about park tickets in Florida is like complaining about the price of a Porche 911! It is the most renowned holiday destination from all over the globe, and tbh, whatever money they think they can get they will charge. If people will pay, they will do it! Much like the parking fee at towers! Families will go and pay whatever for these places because they're there for such a long time, money is no object to them, they simply wont think about it.

It is a shame really, because I think people would get a more varied holiday by visiting European parks. They have a sense of character and atmosphere which I feel the American parks cannot recreate! Years and years of history and culture create these parks, whereas America is still going through puberty in this sense!
Back from hibernation!
Themeparksandy1981

But its like this Alton Towers change £45 with entrance and car parking ticket. Disney $96 with entrance and parking the big different is Alton spend about 15 million for a top ride Disney spend over 100 million for a top ride. Disney is also designed so every corner you turn there always a attraction or something to see. It also doesn't feel like you walked far as every area is next to each other. Its the same with IOA,US and Sea world. The queues as well make you feel you ain't queueing for over half hour like Air does at AT.
NeilHD

[quote=""AstroDan""][quote=""NeilHD""]

Interesting the European parks are so cheap - I guess it shows that our own parks are also overpriced.[/quote]

Sort of - but you don't get the offers for parks in Europe. Like Phantasia/EP etc. you simply pay the standard £28 to get in. Alton may cost more, but most people actually pay more like £20-£25.

I'd probably say the average price paid to enter AT is less than the average price paid for most major parks in Europe.

Disneyland Paris is now around £90-£95 for 2 day hopper which I find quite expensive really.[/quote]

Very true, some relatives of ours just paid £10 to get in this weekend. And of course our Merlin Passes make each visit even cheaper. I'm down to £7.50 per visit now, not including money saved on food/stuff.

DLP is very expensive as you say but having just seen that a DLP annual pass is about the same price as a Merlin pass it does make things interesting as it doesn't take me that much longer to get to DLP than it does to Alton (using Eurotunnel).