Fairs/Travelling Rides - General Discussion

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Craig

This topic is for general discussion regarding fairs. In order to try and keep this forum as easy to read as possible, it has been decided to have a dedicated topic for most fair discussion. Each single topic does not generate a great deal of discussion, and would be far better discussed in one topic, especially since conversation can often crossover. Examples of what should be placed in this topic would be:

- Discussion and announcements of future rides and attractions.
- The selling or buying of rides between showmen.
- Information on smaller fairs.
- Other general snippets of news.

Of course, larger fairs such as the likes of Hull, Hoppings, Goose, Hyde Park etc are still more than welcome to have a separate topic as these generate a large amount of discussion. However, please consider whether your post will be more suited within this topic rather than starting a new one every time.

Hopefully this will be a happy medium accommodating those who have an interest in fairs and also ensuring that the Other Parks and Attractions remains easy to read without pushing ongoing discussion down the bottom of the board. Ultimately, the aim is to encourage more discussion by centralising it into one place.

If anyone has any questions or feedback, please feel free to PM myself or another member of the team :D.
GuestAgain

Does anyone have any information on any rides that will be appearing at this years Irn Bru Carnival at the SECC in glasgow?

For anyone who doesnt know about the carnival its a fairly large indoor carnival that comes to the SECC in glasgow around christmas each year.

It doesnt showcase the biggest and best rides that travel the UK (probably due to it being indoors) but normaly has a decent selection of thrills. Last years lineup included Stargate and Speedflip (sorry I dont know the name of the showmen who own them).

Obviously it has the usual selection of miami's , waltzers and what not. Its a £10 entry fee which gets you 10 rides and then £1 a ride after that so its great value.
Are you INTIMIDATED by the new 500ft tall launched Pinfari log flume with 3 side-by-side circular loops and splashdown on fire?
Towersfan

Hey there. This year's Irn Bru Carnival runs at the SECC in Glasgow from 18th December - 10th January.

Confirmed rides so far are:

Extreme
Speed Buzz
Miami
Move It
Superstar
Jumpin Frogs
Superbob
Matterhorn
Mega Mix
Superbowl
Ghost Train
Big Apple Coaster
Waltzer
Dragon Coaster
Chair-O-Planes
Dodgems
Drop Zone
Twister
Fun House

Full and further information can be viewed here: http://www.irn-bru-carnival.com/

:)
GuestAgain

Thanks very much :).

I've been keeping my eye on that site for a while but they must of just updated it in the last few days.

Thanks again :)
Are you INTIMIDATED by the new 500ft tall launched Pinfari log flume with 3 side-by-side circular loops and splashdown on fire?
maguire245

A few rides have pulled onto my local ground for friday nights firework event, Gravesend Kent.
Chris has already set his waltzer up :shock: The other ride is Pauls Orbiter, don't think it will be Swailes.

Visit [url=http://fair-rides.fotopic.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://fair-rides.fotopic.net/[/url] for photos. :)
Last edited by maguire245 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat
Woodpecker

Hi all, I've been reading the threads about the Nottingham Goose Fair and the Hull Fair - both of which I missed! :( I've been wanting to try Top Buzz 2 and 2Xtreme for a while now.

I see that Top Buzz 2 will be coming to Loughborough though. Does anyone know if 2Xtreme will be there as well? Unfortunately Charnwood Council haven't put up a ride list on their website and I am hesitant to email the people in charge.
maguire245

[quote=""Woodpecker""]Unfortunately Charnwood Council haven't put up a ride list on their website and I am hesitant to email the people in charge.[/quote]
Ringing the council is always a good idea to find out, if that fails, see if there is a website such as irvin leisure which lists official fairs. Councils don't tend to have a list of rides which will attend (well none in Kent anyway), only dates.
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat
Woodpecker

[quote=""maguire245""]Ringing the council is always a good idea to find out, if that fails, see if there is a website such as irvin leisure which lists official fairs. Councils don't tend to have a list of rides which will attend (well none in Kent anyway), only dates.[/quote]

Thanks. I emailed them last night and got a reply this morning:

[quote=""Markets and Fairs, Charnwood Council""]As far as we are aware we have an 'Extreme' ride but its not Walter Murphy's.

We also have:
Twist
Superbowl
Waltzers
Dodgems
Freak out Afterburner
Superbob (family ride)
Gallopers
Superstar
Miami Trip 3
Top Scan
King Frog
High Roller
Wild Mouse
Frisbee
Rock Rage
Bomber
Bungee Jump-Ejection

These are subject to change but are correct at this point in time.

The fair opening times are:-

Wed 11 Nov 6.00pm - 11.00pm
Thurs 12 Nov 12noon - 11.00pm
Fri 13 Nov 11.00am - 11.00pm
Sat 14 Nov 11.00am - 11.00pm[/quote]

Shame about 2Xtreme. That would definitely have made the 102-mile journey from my house worth it. Oh well, at least there's Top Buzz 2, which I've never ridden before. Will it be that much better than Thorpe Park's Samurai though? Samurai has got some good settings this year...
maguire245

Build up photos of Gravesend Kent fireworks fair are now available to view at [url=http://fair-rides.fotopic.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://fair-rides.fotopic.net/[/url]

New this year are 3 different rides, Forrests Miami, Twist, and a Tagada. We seem to get a changed line up every year :D

Will be taking photos later when it opens.

---- Post Info Added ----

Lovely weather tonight, tipped down at one point :roll: At least I got plenty of pics in the end :)

Video footage will be edited and uploaded later, see my fotopic site for pics.
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat
Woodpecker

Looks like you had a good selection of rides. What's the "Space Nation" thing shaped like a rocket?

Also, regarding Top Buzz 2: I've never been to a large British Fair before so the only Top Scan I've ridden is Samurai at Thorpe (and once when it was at Chessington). Is Top Buzz 2 really as good as the hype? Is it even run at full speed? Samurai has had some fairly intense settings this year - one of them was 3.5 minutes long with 2 windmills - and I don't want to fork out the money for Loughborough fair if it's going to be the same :( The more extreme the better. :D
Anonymous

[quote=""Woodpecker""]What's the "Space Nation" thing shaped like a rocket?[/quote]

You mean the ride with "Thunderbirds" on the side?
mattbailey

[quote=""Woodpecker""]Looks like you had a good selection of rides. What's the "Space Nation" thing shaped like a rocket?

Also, regarding Top Buzz 2: I've never been to a large British Fair before so the only Top Scan I've ridden is Samurai at Thorpe (and once when it was at Chessington). Is Top Buzz 2 really as good as the hype? Is it even run at full speed? Samurai has had some fairly intense settings this year - one of them was 3.5 minutes long with 2 windmills - and I don't want to fork out the money for Loughborough fair if it's going to be the same :( The more extreme the better. :D[/quote]

When I saw it at Hull Fair it was windmilling a lot, and wasn't looking that intense...

You should definitely get on Rock Rage. Best fair ride by far :P
Nathan

Mellors sold Wild River Rapids for those who didn't catch the LWV topic. :)
Woodpecker

[quote=""kryn""][quote=""Woodpecker""]What's the "Space Nation" thing shaped like a rocket?[/quote]

You mean the ride with "Thunderbirds" on the side?[/quote]

I mean this one:

http://fair-rides.fotopic.net/p60444621.html

[quote=""mattbailey""]
When I saw it at Hull Fair it was windmilling a lot, and wasn't looking that intense..[/quote]

Oh dear :(

So, in this video of Hull 2009 it isn't going particularly fast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPF4yFLEkww

This is what Samurai was doing at its best this season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIFIe9a3DN4
Last edited by Woodpecker on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiogoJ42

I believe that Space Nation is a very, very old fashioned simulator.
NF2

They are indeed very old Simulators, that i've never personally ridden, but know will be about as much fun as a day in an accountants office.

They basically have 2 movements, vibrate up and down, and roll side to side slightly, thats it! This video just shows how thrilling and inventive the movements of this ride are:

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 58#p487858

How fun :P
mattbailey

[quote=""Woodpecker""][quote=""kryn""][quote=""Woodpecker""]What's the "Space Nation" thing shaped like a rocket?[/quote]

You mean the ride with "Thunderbirds" on the side?[/quote]

I mean this one:

http://fair-rides.fotopic.net/p60444621.html

[quote=""mattbailey""]
When I saw it at Hull Fair it was windmilling a lot, and wasn't looking that intense..[/quote]

Oh dear :(

So, in this video of Hull 2009 it isn't going particularly fast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPF4yFLEkww

This is what Samurai was doing at its best this season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIFIe9a3DN4[/quote]

Hmm that video looks better than when I was there... but the majority of the time the gondola was spinning as such without much movement from the main arm. Was a bit lame.

Who knows the cycle could be different on different days :)
Woodpecker

Thanks mattbailey! And thanks also to CalcumCal who could share a little more light on the subject. I'll see if I can't make a little pilgrimage up to Loughborough.
DiogoJ42

Does anyone know if there will be a Winter Wonderland meet? It's just that being a local I'll have half a chance of getting there!
maguire245

[quote=""Diogoj42""]Does anyone know if there will be a Winter Wonderland meet? It's just that being a local I'll have half a chance of getting there![/quote]
I'll be going there with friends or (not sure which yet) family, but when my dad finally arranges a date, whoever wants to go is welcome to say hello :mrgreen:

There is also a Netherlands Dutch village fair inside the 02 Arena (Millenium Dome) which I will go to the day after.
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat