The Most Magical Dark Ride?

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.

Which do you enjoy the most from Merlin theme parks?

Poll runs till Sun Aug 16, 2048 9:49 am

Duel
50%
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Ride
No votes
Hex
50%
Bubbleworks
No votes
Tomb Blaster
No votes
Hocus Pocus Hall
No votes
The Spirit of London
No votes
Traitor: Boat Ride to Hell
No votes
Laser Raiders
No votes

Total votes: 2
[Archive]

I am a great fan of dark rides. The concepts, ideas and theming at best is overwhelming and magic. The best dark rides are theatrical in all aspects: lighting, atmosphere and excitment. The most recent dark ride that I think performs brilliantly in this is Hex at Alton Towers for its high quality theming and effort. The finale is spectacular and the whole experience is very memorable.

However, there have been many great dark rides that are no longer the same, such as Professor Burp's Bubbleworks, the Haunted House, Toyland Tours, the Spirit of London and the 5th Dimension. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to ride the Haunted House in its orginal form, and I only just managed to ride Terror Tomb the year before it reopened as Tomb Blaster so much too late for the 5th Dimension.

Unfortunately in more recent years there have been many utter disasters. From the desecration of the original Bubbleworks to the ever-more common laser gun gimmick, UK dark rides, from Merlin parks at least, seem to have gone quite far downhill. Do you think they still good rides, though?

What are your favourite existing dark rides from the UK Merlin theme parks? Which in your opinion are the best?

(Poll options include all existing dark rides from Merlin theme parks in the United Kingdom as of 2009. Two options per voter. Dark ride attractions from special events are not included.)
Last edited by [Archive] on Wed May 12, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Koopa

My favourites out of the list are Duel, Tomb Blaster & Bubbleworks. :)
zs chris

please add Valhalla so I can vote for it :D
[Archive]

[quote=""zs_chris""]please add Valhalla so I can vote for it :D[/quote] Valhalla isn't a Merlin Dark ride, and last time I updated the list of options, it deleted everybody's votes! :?
Last edited by [Archive] on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Valhalla shouldn't be on the list anyway as its not at a merlin attraction, though for me it would be a contender if it were on the list.

Out of the ones I've been on, I'd probably go for hex.
Mikey

You left out the new dark ride at Legoland :)

But it has to be Hex for me. Haunted swings, when done well, are brilliant. *casts smarmy glare at the Haunting*
If you\'re reading this post it means I have emerged from my TTF cave during my annual forage for food.
caffeine_demon

what's the traitor boat ride then?
Matt.C

[quote=""caffeine_demon""]what's the traitor boat ride then?[/quote]
It's a boatride at the Dungeons. It forms around you taking a boatride to the area where you'll be executed (In the London one it was based around going through the port gates of the London Tower)
James

Hex - Fits in perfectly with the Towers and I enjoy listening to the curse everytime. It has a spooky atmosphere and for first timers the end of it is unexpecting. The best dark ride I've ever been on.
Mankey

Tomb Blaster on this list! Good fun dark ride with a decent soundtrack. Although I want a decent dark ride coaster dammit! :( I want my cravings to go! :lol:
Back from hibernation!
[Archive]

It looks like Hex is winning! What I find that makes Hex great is the experience and atmosphere. The build up and storyline was worked very well. The finale haunted swing is fantastic and I remember feeling amazed and puzzled by it. I seriously thought the room was posessed! I do prefer the traditional cars going through the ride, though, because there is much more theming and magic usually, (that is why I like Duel, Bubbleworks and Tomb Blaster so much).
fromsolitude

I -adore- dark rides, I think they're absolutely brilliant... if done well, that is.

And of course, HexHexHex! I love it to the teetering edge of obsession, I think it's just beautiful. I love the idea of reviving folk lore associated with the towers, the historical aspect... oh god and the smell, I love the smell of the queue line. I love the smell of dark rides in general, I think I may adapt my house in some way to achieve that aged damp smelling goodness. Ahem.

And the muusssiiiccc, I listen to it constantly. It makes me go all tingly. I think the ambiance is truly what makes Hex sparkle.

That being said, if the old Haunted House were up there before the Duel Refurb, I'd have a slightly more tricky choice. Same goes for the Bubbleworks, which use to be my absolute favourite dark ride. I also really liked Terror Tomb before they fiddled with it.
DiogoJ42

[quote=""fromsolitude""]That being said, if the old Haunted House were up there before the Duel Refurb, I'd have a slightly more tricky choice. Same goes for the Bubbleworks, which use to be my absolute favourite dark ride. I also really liked Terror Tomb before they fiddled with it.[/quote]

I'm hearing that one! Terror Tomb ruled!
Bring back the glam-rock-mummy! :D/

I guess I'm gonna have to go for, erm... Hex...uel, no, Duex, no, wait... :?
...Something at Alton thats spooky.

Can I vote for both Hex and Duel?
[Archive]

If you really want to Diogoj42! :roll: I've changed it to two votes per person!

PS, Who likes my new avatar and signature? :D/
DiogoJ42

Sweet! cheers Bill.
nickhutson

Old Style Haunted House, Terror Tomb and Bubbleworks really were top-notch. It's a shame what Tussauds did to them... especially making Bubbleworks one hideous commercial. Merlin really need to look at them with a fresh eye...

HEX really stands out to me as an amazing attraction. It has pre-shows, amazing atmospheric effects, re-rideability - and a really creepy feel to it. It's wonderful!
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
[Archive]

[quote=""nickhutson""]Old Style Haunted House, Terror Tomb and Bubbleworks really were top-notch. It's a shame what Tussauds did to them, especially making Bubbleworks one hideous commercial. Merlin really need to look at them with a fresh eye... [/quote] I know what you mean about Bubbleworks. In every corner is an 'Imperial Leather' sticker. The re-theme was one of the worst refurbishments in theme park history, made worse by the fact that Professor Burp's Bubbleworks was something of an icon for Chessington and family dark rides.

However, when I went on it in the Easter Holidays, I noticed how colourful, magical and light-hearted the station was - with its joyful tunes playing. The ride itself was, in my opinion, fantastic! So much attention to detail and colour. There was imagination that I thought couldn't exist after the re-theme, but the theming was brilliant. Next year, when Chessington World of Adventures re-launches their image and advertisements, and the sponsorship runs out with Imperial Leather, I think I we can finally appreciate the fun side of the Bubbleworks. It will be interesting to see how much paint they use to paint-over the logos! 8)
Carla

I also really liked the queue line for Chessy's Vampire... with the cool music and the lighting and the piano guy. There's something so cool about creepy piano playing old men. I could have easily just spent some time in that area, it was marvelous. Went there again, and it's all changed! If it aint broke... don't fix it! Or if it is.... give it a lick of paint, and abit of a dusting.
One Hell of a Dark Ride Enthusiast
nickhutson

Think you mean organ :) I remember that section used to be much creepier when I, and many others, were young. :)

They do need to creep it up.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
[Archive]

I love the Vampire station, too! The music is ace and I have it on my iPod! I once thought I saw the organ player's face... and it was horribly creepy...