Where Seagulls Dare..

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
PETER MOWBRAY

Well today a very rare incident happened whilst I was at the Pleasure Beach.
A woman was hit by a seagull whilst riding the PMBO and I was able to get footage of the bird but not of the collision.
I must absolutely stress that this is a very very rare incident and that nobody is able to predict these things.

If you look closely I was able to film the Seagull flying in front of the PMBO train and the lady on front seat realised that she was going to make contact with the inbound bird and she covers her face..

After the bird hit the lady on her arm it fluttered to the ground and we informed Mr Keith Allan who is a Manager and he ensured that the lady was ok and the bird that had sustained a damaged wing was taken to the Animal hospital..
I must stress again that this is very rare in fact I visit the park over a 100 times each year and have never known this thing to happen.
My only regret is that I didnt realise what had just happend until it happend if you know what I mean otherwise I would of been able to capture the whole event in multi-frame I am kicking myself..

Peter
Last edited by PETER MOWBRAY on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the latest news and quality updates from Blackpool & The Pleasure Beach look here..
Click on the Domain..! [url=http://www.liveinblackpool.co.uk\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.liveinblackpool.co.uk[/url]
Wes

See it happen on Stealth all the time too :)
Chris W

There was a video from last season (maybe season before) that showed a bird getting hit by Stealth but this is obviously a bit different as its hit a person.

Birds are dangerous things and it would have hurt getting hit by one, I'm glad the girl is alright.
Wes

I bet its the same seagul each time.
Anonymous

We was on the front of Shockwave and it happened forget who I was with now.
Joe Koopa

How unusual! I did remember reading once somewhere, that on Stealth a bee landed in someone's mouth and he had to swallow it. :o
Rita 2005

It is not actually that rare, I've witnessed Bird Strikes on Corkscrew, Rita, Nemesis, Oblivion and Air. Rita is particuarly bad with birds from the nearby woodland cutting accross the launch track all the time.
Michaél

Don't forget the incident on Apollo's Chariot opening day. Where that model got struck by a goose on the first drop. :lol:
I should not laugh but how unlucky was that.
TB2

I remember once where a pigeon got stuck in the wheels on Vampire and was then dragged all the round the ride.. nice :mrgreen:
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

jonathan leake

Stealth always kills birds. Infact i think its more of a bird killing machine then a rollercoaster

[url=" target="_blank][/url]

Bang and the bird is gone!
Jon

Why did they bother bringing the sky rat to an animal hospital?
Formerly "Dagoo"
PETER MOWBRAY

[quote=""Dagoo""]Why did they bother bringing the sky rat to an animal hospital?[/quote]

Because they are all Gods creatures.. :^o

Peter
For the latest news and quality updates from Blackpool & The Pleasure Beach look here..
Click on the Domain..! [url=http://www.liveinblackpool.co.uk\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.liveinblackpool.co.uk[/url]
Mankey

Yeah this happens alot! I personally find it hilarious, I know I shouldn't but... lmao! I'm a bird lover, I've got 2 pet birds (a budgie and a finch) and the second one of them does something completely idiotic I wet myself. :lol: (God I sound horrible!)

Theyre quite hardy creatures, it'll probably be fine, they're natrually soft as well, you get one in the face you'd probably bruise at the most!
Back from hibernation!
Corkscrewed

Well thats a bit of bad luck eh? I do find rollercoaster bird strikes hilarious though.
towers freak

[quote=""PETER MOWBRAY""]we informed Mr Keith Allan who is a Manager [/quote]

Nice to hear a familiar name,as he was a manager at the time the bbc made the pleasure beach documentary more than 10 years ago. Im surprised he hasn't retired by now as he was in his 60's at the time that documentary was made, so he's got to be in his mid to late 70's by now.

I haven't experienced a bird strike but did in fact experience a bug strike in 2007 on Rita, when a bug few into by eye. Which was a painful but yet hilarious experience i can tell you.