Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
themeparkfreak

ok thanks martin and matt, not that much longer too wait then, but I think I will have to go down in the summer or something.
Anonymous

A video of Speed is available on ukrides.info.

Reviews are awesome and it's apparantly a very intense ride. Could this be the hidden gem of 2006?

:D
CGM

Now that looks like one G heavy ride. Every element is taken insanely fast and it looks much wilder than the other two Euro Fighters
Williscroft

That looks very impressive, looks very intense aswell and alot faster than i thought it would be. They have a winner there for deforante. They still need something else there for me to travel all that way but they seem to have a few great rides now. :D
Beaver Dude

Wow Quite intresting Is this replacing nething like that big water ride what killed some1 (her fault).
Wow you're like the ulitmate ride enthusiast and you obviously work for H&S. Actually scrap that it was not her fault at all. How would she know that putting a coat on your lap would be fatal? Actually on most rides it wouldn't but with the Intamin T-Bar (T stands for tripe) it was mainly becuase the bars aren't computer checked. Intamin still think it's safe even though it blantently isn't. I belive Intamin have now replaced the bars on Hydro with safe ones.
iriderides101

To be honest i could not care less about names of rides i mean oakwood do not exactly have many themed rides i suppose their rides names are sort just random names although i love oakwood its just soo awesome (not as good as AT) but i think speed shows the way oakwood is going i mean all they have pretty much added since 1996 is thrill rides
1996 Megaphobia
1997 Vertigo
1999 Bounce
2002 Hydro
2006 Speed
of course they have added plane crazy and that train brer rabbit thing
Dogbert

Oakwood.i do not like the place. I have been there almost every year for the last 5-6 years, and i don't enjoy it. The lack of theming is annoying, and the majority of the rides pointless.

Here's hoping Speed is good.
What, you were expecting something witty?
iriderides101

It probaly will be a good ride it looks awesome i mean it took oakwood a while to actualy decide to build it so it must be good unfortunately there is no themeing on any plans but don't worry
Crofty

[quote=""iriderides101""]It probaly will be a good ride it looks awesome i mean it took oakwood a while to actualy decide to build it so it must be good unfortunately there is no themeing on any plans but don't worry[/quote]

As I remember, I think, Oakwood wanted to build this ready for last year but with the Hydo inccident they had to put it off could be lower visitors or saving money I don't know.

I Can't wait to ride it, the pictures look really great. Oakwood is getting better and better each year and as a family park i really can't fault it, they have something for everyone. At £14.99 is a bargain IMO.

:W :W
iriderides101

suppose Oakwood is a realy awesome park all their additions have been amazing but does anyone think thats speed will be better than megaphobia IMO which is the best coaster in th uk
phillipvass

I was at Oakwood on Thursday and the place was buzzing! Speed is fantastic, even though the track isn't as impressive as B&M, this thing packs one hell of a punch. The 'more than vertical' aspect of the drop doesn't make that much of a difference, but the airtime hill straight after that is one of the most extraordinary things i've ever felt! In my opinion it's better than Oblivion (Only just though! :wink:) What also impressed me was it's throughput, I didn't have to queue for more than 5mins. Megaphobia was great (as always) but was running with only one train which meant we had to wait twice as long, apart from this it was a great day out and I highly advise you go to Oakwood and try this thing out!

On a side note, John Wardly was at the park for the opening and may have designed the ride, not too sure :? That would explain why the ride is so good! :D

I'll post pictures soon
Nemair

I don't think he designed the ride but I know he helped with the landscaping of the rides surroundings and q area
TenZero

Well Im back from my trip from Oakwood, and what can I say? Speed is the best ride ive ever been on! The drop, air time hill, heartline roll and horizontal loop is insane!
Pictures and a video of speed to follow at www.oakwoodfusion.co.uk !
iriderides101

Megaphobia Vs speed tooo dififcult so radom, pick megaphobia
rhys

Speed is a great ride but it just doesn't beat megafobia. Megafobia is much longer and it keeps up the thrills for the whole ride.
TenZero

I dont think people who havent ridden both should vote.

Speed, my reasons:

1) The ride is crazy, insane, fast and faster than mega
2) The through put is very quick
3) Less queue's
4) Smoother

As much as I love Mega, Speed just does it for me. Although you cant really compare them.
timmy1372

[quote=""Matt_""]I dont think people who havent ridden both should vote.

Speed, my reasons:

3) Less queue's
4) Smoother

As much as I love Mega, Speed just does it for me. Although you cant really compare them.[/quote]

Was thinking about popping down there, is it worth it? is speed really that good, considering the park is in the back end of beyond it would be nice to know its worth the trip, its about a 170 mile drive for me, not too bad but still.

Is it worth the trip?
JamesP

I have just got back from Oakwood and Speed is a fantastic ride, the force of the airtime hill, the inline roll and the helix was stunning. For me, it doesn't beat Megafobia but is stunning non the less, it was just a really fun ride. I look forward to gonig back in Summer when the area will hopefully be a bit more finished, at the moment there are temporary looking metal barriers in the queue and open banks of earth, some planting will finish the ride off nicely! On another note the ride really does tower over that side of the park and actually creates the illusion that the park is far bigger than it is because it seems to stretch a long distance between Megafobia and Speed that was not really noticable before. And finally, for anyone who actually cares, the track has a nice Nemesis style 'roar' about it!
Dogbert

I would go with Megaphobia any day.

Brilliant ride that one.
What, you were expecting something witty?
TenZero

[quote=""timmy1372""][quote=""Matt_""]I dont think people who havent ridden both should vote.

Speed, my reasons:

3) Less queue's
4) Smoother

As much as I love Mega, Speed just does it for me. Although you cant really compare them.[/quote]

Was thinking about popping down there, is it worth it? is speed really that good, considering the park is in the back end of beyond it would be nice to know its worth the trip, its about a 170 mile drive for me, not too bad but still.

Is it worth the trip?[/quote]

Yeah, its definatly worth the trip. Its the best ride I've ever been on!