Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

To be fair, I bet 90% of forum users haven't been on Speed. So it's a bit tricky. I haven't been on it, so i won't vote. But I do imagine Oblivion has to be more intense, although Speed looks the better overall coaster since it has more to it.

I wouldn't have thought the fact that Speed as a more than vertical drop makes much difference.
Matt 125

As Dan said, most people havn't been on Speed (I wouldn't have thought)!

I'm not going to vote because of that and really I think other people shouldn't really vote because it's just gonna be Blivvy winning it because they have been on it!

Matt :D
aledaerials

Been on speed, it's great, although oblivion is much more scary for me, 'cos i hyperventilate at the top and go all dizzy! I like speed more tho because it's got much more added on to it, which makes the ride longer and more fantastic. :D
Mines a jack and coke thanks...cheers!
Lauren

I love the oblivion lift hill :)
Speed has a better coaster but oblivion has the better drop.
iriderides101

Oblivion has a better atmosphere. A a better theme. Speed well has no theme and no atmosphere. But the ride is amasing i love the lifthill it feels like your going to fall out. Oblivion is a bit boring now.
Kaz

Oblivion has way more power behind it.
Rory

Been on both - Speed twice and oblivion a few more times :)

Although speed is a different and new coaster and is very good, its not as good as some people make it out to be. I feel its shorter than it should be, because you hit the brakes at quite a speed. The inversions are good but more are needed.

As said speed has no theme - if you havent seen it in the flesh, it quite literally is just plonked at the edge of the park, the wood chips theme if you can call it that to go with racing is a shambles. The queue line either isnt finished, or is diabolical - its temporary metal fences :? There is no atmosphere to speed either - there is to oblivion.

Oblivion is fantastic in my book, every time i get intimidated and slightly scared as we go up the hill lift and the noices (clanks of metal) really add to it. There is more of a theme and more of atmosphere with the shop / music etc.
$t£v£

I was just wondering how they expect to get people off speed if it breaks down on the lift.

To me it looks very much like a kids ride despite the drop and inversions.
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.
Anonymous

I think that's just because of the rather garish colour scheme. I think it looks misleading, I reckon it's a lot better than it looks, that airtime hill looks crazy. :D I'm riding this next week with Crofty, Saz and Ant and I can't fooking wait. :D:D I shall vote when I'm back.
Matt 125

Aaaah, reading all this makes me really wanna go on Blivvy again! Also, ride Speed. Hopefully I will be going to Oakwood again this Summer and AT is almost a deff, the cards run out in August so gotta make the most of them, then maybe renew!

Anyway, I will vote once I have ridden both!

deb

Speed is a good ride, the lift hill is crazy! But for overall atmosphere Oblivion is definately better, you feel like you are literally falling down the hole, whereas on Spped you don't really move from your seat. Plus, as Rory said, it looks like Oakwood couldn't be arsed with theming, the shops and photo booth are potacabins and it looks like a building site!
Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you\'re up to
TenZero

Before I post, yes I'm Oakwood bias.

Obviously I voted for Speed, the lift hill, the drop, the layout, the inversions and the mental camel back and helix really does make the ride amazing. However as said, there is no theme to Speed (I suppose it could be a racing theme but theres no 'themeing'). The temporary gates, dodgy station and area should be cleaned up by late 2006, early 2007 so not much to worry about there.
liam14

I may be going to Oakwood theme park it looks fairly good, whats it like, have you been there before?
Nemesis: 4
Air : 4
Oblivion :3
Corkscrew: 8
Rita :4
Runaway mine train :15

Trips to A.T :14
Matt 125

Oakwood is a great little park! It's got the best Wooden Rollercoaster I have been on. Quite a fun new rollercoaster- Speed. And The Bounce, the Uk's only Shot and Drop!

Read my Trip Report where I went through all the rides etc!

liam14

WOW Sounds good looks like you walked on almost all of the rides and I think that your max Q time was about 20 mins lol.
Nemesis: 4
Air : 4
Oblivion :3
Corkscrew: 8
Rita :4
Runaway mine train :15

Trips to A.T :14
TenZero

Oakwood really is an amazing park. Yes theres no magic, no themeing but the rides are really great almost every day you should walk on some rides. The park has been improving a lot, so go and check it out. Its only £14 to get in!
aledaerials

Oakwood is a good little park, and i emphasise little because a lot of people think that oakwood is a massive park with lots and lots of rides! But people need to know that it isnt massive like alton towers, its nowhere near it. But the great thing i like, is that even though its a small park, the Qs are never that long, so you can go on the rides again and again all day long, the staff are friendly, the area is beautiful and you will be guaranteed to have a great day!

:D Cant get any better then that really! Have a great time! :D
Matt 125

The only thing is, Megafobia and Hydro open at 11:30 and 12:30. I think this is so they can get more people going to the back of the park first and more spread out!

Also the ridiculous price for a drink. £1.30 for a 500ml bottle of Coke :x That's more expensive than Alton!

Otherwise, a great park!

Matt :)
TenZero

Hydro seems to open late due to the low demand of it. I havent heard of Megafobia opening late however so you must have gone on a dodgy day, you should be heading for Speed first anyway :)
aledaerials

Hydro opens now at 12:30 yes, i didnt know that 'till i went on friday, but there was a Q there at 1 o clock and they wernt allowed to Q up into the main part, 'cos there were men that had to get down on the track with a ladder over the bridge, they then had to walk very carefully (or they would fall in) across the track, and then they were physically pushing the carriage back to the station! That must have taken a long time! That was when we left 'cos it was raining, and i had enough! Megaphobia was open before 11:30, i think about 10:30. Oh, and take your own coke! :lol: