Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Anonymous

Oakwood is an awesome little theme park, its just really hard to get to!

Megafobia is a fantastic modern woodie and Speed is fantastic, a more than vertical drop is a really good experience!

If you havent been to Oakwood, I suggest you get down there at some point.
Anonymous

Oakwood is OK, it's a good little park. Megafobia and Speed are fantastic, but other than that and a few other rides, the park can be done very quickly and there's not much else to do but reride.

But they have the right idea about entertainment, it's just a shame their budget isn't as big as some other parks.

But it is a little gem tucked right down in south-west Wales and they have the potential to be a great park.
Nutty dreadz

Oakwood is okay i guess!, but I wouldn't say it was worth a long journey just to visit it! I went a couple of summers ago, and travelled about 300 odd miles just to visit Oakwood alone! - Is a nice little park with a few good rides worth going on, but personally I wouldn't go again, unless I was nearby.

Megafobia is a great wooden coaster, and its well good if you're riding in the dark or the rain!
They also have a good skycoaster there which Ive been on. Only trouble is, it's pretty expensive! - £33.00 for a solo flight!! RIP OFF! - 2 of you its £16.50 pp, or 3 of you its £11.00 pp. When i went there was a deal on, and i think it was half price which weren't so bad.

Speed doesn't really look amazing to me, but Id definitely like to have a go so i can see what it's like - Hydro was closed when i went, always wondered what the drop on that is like.

Another good attraction they have there is The Crystal Maze - A family version of the TV show. Look here: http://www.cc2000.info/
The "challenges" you are given are relatively easy - No way near as difficult as the TV show, but it's a fun little attraction if you're in a group, and id say it was worth the £4.75 a go (Considering Splash Karts at Towers are £3.00 for a slow ride on some naff karts!!)

I think if Oakwood get their ideas together, it could potentially become a much better park - Only thing that it definitely lacks is a log flume and some rapids.
Anonymous

Before I actually went on Speed, I thought it looked fairly crap. Its when you have been on it you realise how good it is, especially front row.

The journey down there really is horrible, especially from the north west! Took me about 7 hours get there, made up for that by staying the night :D
Stevogriff

I used to live 10 minutes away from oakwood so ive been loads of times.
Is a great park as long as you dont mind re riding the rides. The after dark event there is good because you can ride the rides in the pitch black and you get the show on the stage by the lake and then the fireworks display which you can see from my nans house.
Coaster Neil

I'd say that Oakwood's one of the UK's top theme park's, probably in the top three (I would say it's better than Alton Towers but will refrain for this for fear of being assasinated).

It's excellent value for money, and they don't seem intend on squeezing every penny from you like some other parks. The queues are also short, and although catering isn't brilliant the merchandise makes up for this which must be one of the best for a park of this size. Theming isn't brilliant, but no worse than the majority of British park's (but yes, worse than Alton Towers). Then again it is one of the best landscaped parks so this almost compensates. The are also other pluses which aren't immediately obvious such as friendly staff and quirks such as the after dark and a free magazine.

You do need to be ready for lots of re-rides, but surely most coaster enthusiates would be content with lots of rides on Speed and Megafobia. There are also several other fun rides such as Hydro and the Waterfall ride which is better than it looks, and a summer tobogan run. They have also put a lot of effort into the dark rides, so overall a sterling effort.

If you compare it to similar size parks such as Lightwater Valley it easily comes out trumps (and in my humble view it's better than Flamingoland).
Beth

I had an assessment day at Oakwood today as am trying for a job there.
Anyway, while there, we were offered the oppurtunity to ask questions about the park.
I asked the staff member (Richard) if Speed would be getting any theming, and he told me no. They will be planting grass seeds and that's it. He said theming is too expensive, plus they like the way Speed looks now.
Upon seeing Speed, I noticed that the temporary fencin has been replaced with proper fencing, and found out the little cabin there will be made into a real building soon hopefully.

Anyway, here's are some updates.

-Hydro was having a coat of paint while I was there today.

-Brer rabbits has been repainted

- Oakwood have recently began working with two theme designers in the local area, so hopefully we shall see a lot of good things to come.

- Hydro's pool will begin to be filled soon, it takes 3 weeks to fill it (eek).

There's probably more updates, but I can't think currently, as I'm so shattered.
But I'll let you know if I get the job :)
::: (\\(\\
*: (=\' :\') :*
•.. (,(\'\')(\'\')¤°
Thomas

Never been to Oakwood, not really been interested in it up un-till recently when i found about Hydro(im a water ride guy you see) & i was like wow with most of the rides they have there. No themeing but from pictures everywhere looks well maintained & clean, fresh looking

Would love to make a trip one day, when it shall be i don't know

P.s good look with your job Beth =]

Thomas
Beth

[quote=""Thomas""]Never been to Oakwood, not really been interested in it up un-till recently when i found about Hydro(im a water ride guy you see) & i was like wow with most of the rides they have there. No themeing but from pictures everywhere looks well maintained & clean, fresh looking

Would love to make a trip one day, when it shall be i don't know

P.s good look with your job Beth =]

Thomas
[/quote]
Well Richard told us today that the only reason they don't have theming is because it's so expensive.
If it wasn't, they'd totally use it.

The park was VERY clean when we went there today., not a spot of litter.

And thanks Thomas, I've tried for either retail, and then second choice was ride op :]
•.. (,(\'\')(\'\')¤°
iriderides101

Um what colour they painting hydro?
Have you asked about any future projects?
Beth

[quote=""iriderides101""]Um what colour they painting hydro?
Have you asked about any future projects?[/quote]

Well from what i could see it was being the same colour it was already.
I couldn't see up close, but from what Richard said while we were being told about the maintenance crew, "they're currently painting Hydro", which they were, as they were up a cherry picker underneath the slide, painting one of the rides supports.

Also, not been told about any future plans.
The only things I got told about is what I mentioned up in my first post, although, I don't know if you already knew this, but Halloween and Christmas will no longer take part on park, as it takes too long to plan towards them, and prepare for them, these are Richard's Drummond's words. (On the letter I got, it says he's the HR Manager, so I dunno what that means ;])
•.. (,(\'\')(\'\')¤°
Ash

Human Resources Id imagine
TenZero

[quote=""Beth""][quote=""iriderides101""]Um what colour they painting hydro?
Have you asked about any future projects?[/quote]

Well from what i could see it was being the same colour it was already.
I couldn't see up close, but from what Richard said while we were being told about the maintenance crew, "they're currently painting Hydro", which they were, as they were up a cherry picker underneath the slide, painting one of the rides supports.

Also, not been told about any future plans.
The only things I got told about is what I mentioned up in my first post, although, I don't know if you already knew this, but Halloween and Christmas will no longer take part on park, as it takes too long to plan towards them, and prepare for them, these are Richard's Drummond's words. (On the letter I got, it says he's the HR Manager, so I dunno what that means ;])
[/quote]

Halloween & Christmas hasnt been on for a year or so. I dont blame them really, it didn't seem to popular.
Good luck with the job :D
Beth

[quote=""Titler""]Human Resources Id imagine[/quote]
Yeah I'd probably guess so too :]
Still not heard back from the job :
•.. (,(\'\')(\'\')¤°
Matt 125

Oakwood have updated there rather dull website to a more flashy one and have taken something of Altons with them. :P

Clicky Here!

Matt :D
TenZero

I don't like it really, a bit too cartoony and images.
Dr Pop Rocket

Since when was Megafobia voted the 3rd best "Ride" in the world ?

:?
Shent

Looks too cartoony as Matt_ said, speed looks **** hot though :D
......The one and only... :sus:
haydn!

About 3 or 4 weeks ago. Nemesis came 5th I beleive
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""haydnjames""]About 3 or 4 weeks ago. Nemesis came 5th I beleive[/quote]

What poll....?

It actually claims "Ride", not "Roller Coaster"..

There have also been no "Major" Ride polls recently also...