Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
DeanGaryCox

does anybody know if you can go on snake river falls by yourself... as I might be visiting in a group of 3, and obviously on some rides we're gonna be split up, but would be annoying if it's two people only, so was just wondering - also if any other rides would mean a group of 3 is split up, many thanks?.
Jack

you can ride Snake River Falls by yourself :) I can't think of any other ride that would split you up, other than Waterfall, but waiting for one person to be sent after your ride isn't that bad :)
DeanGaryCox

Does anyone know what form the fast track is that they're selling this year as I have a left over laminated fast track card from last year, and planning to visit next week at some point... So onto my next question - looking at going next Wednesday or Thursday as well as going blue lagoon (which is 3 hour session) but wondering who reckons if oakwood would he considerably busier on the Wednesday in comparison to the Thursday as Wednesday is after dark. Cheers.

Also i've heard that the sleepy hollow has now been confirmed as a £2million investment for next season.
Ryan.B

Could a wild mouse fit in that area if they knock down a few of the little buildings, a dark ride re theme and maybe a flat from another park.
Wild Mouses cost around 1 million I think and a Brer Rabbit re theme probably 500k to top standard which would leave 500k for a flat ride. Tree themed robo arms anyone?
Stripes91

Anybody know what's going on at Oakwood behind the scenes?

The Deputy Park Director left mid season at the hight of Summer and the Park Director has left recently with (to the best of my knowledge) neither position filled or advertised. In the mean time the head of marketing has taken over as interim Park Director.

Do you think this has anything to do with the slipped time scale of the new development, which was due to open this summer but now won't be ready until next season!

Your Thoughts?
Jamie

Stripes91 wrote:Anybody know what's going on at Oakwood behind the scenes?

The Deputy Park Director left mid season at the hight of Summer and the Park Director has left recently with (to the best of my knowledge) neither position filled or advertised. In the mean time the head of marketing has taken over as interim Park Director.

Do you think this has anything to do with the slipped time scale of the new development, which was due to open this summer but now won't be ready until next season!

Your Thoughts?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Park Director left out of embarrassment, given the current operations of the park. I have never seen a park so badly run.
ThrillJunkie

Looks like a new Park Director has been appointed at Oakwood.

http://www.llanellistar.co.uk/Oakwood-a ... story.html
ThrillJunkieUK
Stripes91

Clare Stansfield is/was the head of Marketing and as you'll see from the article, she is only appointed as the interim director. Effectively she is covering the post until the next Director is appointed (which may of course be her), but still begs the question why the previous Director and Deputy both left with a matter of weeks of each other.
scruffy_

Sorry to dig up an old thread, anything new for 2016?
Jamie

scruffy_ wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread, anything new for 2016?
Supposedly their Sleepy Hollow investment, which has been "opening in summer 2014", "opening in 2015", "opening in summer 2015" and now "opening in 2016". I'll believe it when I see it! :lol
Ryan.B

So they're 3-4 years into the "5 year plan and we've not even seen the first new investment? (Unless Neverland was in it). :lol I feel like Oakwood could be a great park, the only thing which lets it down is the operations.
Jamie

Ryan.B wrote:So they're 3-4 years into the "5 year plan and we've not even seen the first new investment? (Unless Neverland was in it). :lol I feel like Oakwood could be a great park, the only thing which lets it down is the operations.
Neverland was the first new investment of the current owners, which they did a pretty good job of (apart from not finishing the inside of the Skull Rock log flume).

Oakwood was once a fantastic park with a great atmosphere, but since Aspro took over it has taken a huge turn for the worse with poor operations, neglect of keeping the park in presentable condition and it generally feels like they don't care about guest experience, which was not the case with the previous owners.

With that said, I had a good day at Oakwood earlier this year which was helped by the lack of queues due to it being very quiet.
Eirdy

Oakwood has potential, it really does.

The problem is ASPRO, they don't seem to know what they are doing! Okay, Neverland is good but I visited the park for the first time in the summer of 2014, I went back in the summer of 2015. When you go to a park a year later and it is exactly the same you know it is doing bad. Drenched looks a mess, as does a majority of the other rides. "Speed" is the most unthemed ride I've ever seen, I've seen better themed big apples!!

I hope this Haunted Hollow is good (and opens whilst i'm alive)
alicheesy

Moon Landing needs to just go. It seems impossible to get to the bottom undamaged, the building looks terrible and it doesn't fit in with anything around it. It also bruised and disappointed me so it's automatically evil.
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever
Eirdy

Oh Moon Landing, isn't that the slide that they call an "Attraction"?!
Tom

So it's been a while since Oakwood added a coaster, following Megafobia and Speed you would be expecting something good.

WRONG.

They're adding a 30 year old Pinfari RC40 from M&D's.

Supports have arrived at Oakwood:

Seriously Oakwood/Aspro, you need to be doing better than this.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Ewww. What? Why?

Whilst we're on the subject of Oakwood, why is Hydro/Drenched still a thing? Never has there been such an inapprioriate ride for a park.
Ryan.B

It's left the M&D's webite as well, I'd rather have nothing than that to be honest, terrible ride and how many years can it last before dying. never mind the coaster, if Oakwood keep going this way they'll be close to closure...
Jack

I think this sums up what everyone should think of this

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom

Adz wrote:Whilst we're on the subject of Oakwood, why is Hydro/Drenched still a thing? Never has there been such an inapprioriate ride for a park.
Yeah, such a hugely inappropriate ride for a park in South Wales, however it still seems to get decent queues when they decide to open it.