Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
RollercoasterGEEK100

Gorrock wrote: I visited Oakwood a few weeks ago, and went on Hydro (Drenched), Megafobia, Vertigo, Speed, the Pirate Ship, Bouand the log flume, but it left me thinking, once you've been on the big five,  it gets kinda boring. So, what do you think Oakwood could get? Or what coaster could they get? Could they afford another Intamin or even a B&M?
Thanks - Gorr
They could do with a B&M Invert about the size of Nemesis or Nemesis Inferno plus the UK could do with another B&M Invert

Credit to NemesisRider
Chaz

Watch this space...construction one the next one isn't far off at all.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Gorrock

Really? When will it start? I'd love Oakwood to get another thrill ride/coaster.
''To many, no doubt, he will seem somewhat blatant and bumptious, but we prefer to regard him as being simply British'' - Oscar Wilde

Dara

Oakwood has a 5 year development plan, which they're keeping very close to their chest at the moment. The first stag was the new Neverland area which was a much better use of  their money that putting a big coaster in, in my opinion, as the previous Playtown kids area was desperately in need of attention.

Whatever we see now at Oakwood it's likely to lean more towards the family market but this doesn't mean that big coastesrs wont getput in, justdon't expect to see anything which is solely aimed at the adult/ teenage market with a 1.4 metre height restriction.
Chaz

Agreed. The 2014 addition is family-based, yet thrilling enough for the teenage market also.

I think we're going to see this park going from strength-to-strength in the next few years and I hope poor(ish) visitor numbers this season haven't ruined their future plans.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

Gorrock

Sounds like it's worth a look, any info on what this will be?
''To many, no doubt, he will seem somewhat blatant and bumptious, but we prefer to regard him as being simply British'' - Oscar Wilde

Chaz

Gorrock wrote: Sounds like it's worth a look, any info on what this will be?
Whilst I wish I could tell you (this isn't a 'I know a secret you don't') I have been instructed to keep everything under wraps but I am sure it'll all be announced soon enough.
Last edited by Chaz on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gorrock

Thanks, mate, I understand :) But, can you say if this will be a fairly big ride?

schmatt

A Maurer Sohne X-Car would work well. Low height restriction, flexible and cheap. A skyloop would be highly marketable and offer something completely new to the UK. Only problem is the dire throughput however a ride like Abismo could work just have it break on a break run as opposed to the vertical lift.
Last edited by schmatt on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
themealgang

schmatt wrote: A maurer Sohne X-Car would work well. Low height restriction, flexible and cheap. A skyloop would be highly marketable and offer something completely new to the UK market. Only problem is the dire throughput; however a ride like Abismo could work just have it break on a break run as apposed to the vertical lift.
X Cars are horrendous coasters. Why Universal went for one in 2009 when they could easily afford something like Hollywood Dream is beyond me. The ride is so rough and those lapbars are painful. However, I agree with what you are saying; it could actually work very well for Oakwood considering their market and finances.

But if it turned into another G Force...  :shock:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Gorrock

I agree, it would suit Oakwood, but I've ridden G-Force, wasn't as good as everybody (and the park) made it out to be. Same kind of deal with Alton and Th13teen I guess is the best way to describe it.

Chaz

Gorrock wrote: Thanks, mate, I understand :) But, can you say if this will be a fairly big ride?
Aimed at Family's I would say. Not huge, wont take that long to erect but should be fun.

Danny

Chaz wrote:
Gorrock wrote: Thanks, mate, I understand :) But, can you say if this will be a fairly big ride?
Aimed at Family's I would say. Not huge, wont take that long to erect but should be fun.
So what's it like compared to th13teen size wise and for younger people and intensity?
Thriller

The Runaway Minetrain from American Adventure would be a great addition coupled with the return of 'Jakestown'. Think of the awesome theming that this could bring. The coaster having a ' dark section' through the 'mine' etc. 
Jakes Goldmine and Musichall was always the highlight of Oakwood, New Orleans never even got close.
Sam198

Thriller wrote: The Runaway Minetrain from American Adventure would be a great addition coupled with the return of 'Jakestown'. Think of the awesome theming that this could bring. The coaster having a ' dark section' through the 'mine' etc. 
Jakes Goldmine and Musichall was always the highlight of Oakwood, New Orleans never even got close.
I doubt we'll be seeing that Mine Train at Oakwood any time soon. Mellors spent far too much time and money adapting it to travel to sell it off so soon.
Thriller

Ah drat.......Oakwood needs a good family coaster like the mine train style coasters. At least there wil be 3 coasters there that thrill seekers could ride and 3 that younger riders can use. It would create a great transition as well......Kiddy Coaster - Crocodile Coaster - Treetops - Minetrain - Megaphobia - Speed. After that only a good inverted coaster would be missing from the line up.

It's a catch 22 situation for the park at the moment I feel. Location doesn't help, but West Wales is one of nicest places in the UK. Lets hope the development next year provides us with a good family coaster at least.
JamesP

Oakwood have just confirmed on their Facebook page that Brer Rabbit will close at the end of this season to make way for a future development.
Altontowersbarlow

That leaves a big space for a new ride! :)
Jared

It's a new coaster. It has to be!
Jamie

Jared wrote: It's a new coaster. It has to be!
Doesn't have to be - it could well be another dark ride using the same system (return of Nutty Jake anyone? ;))
Seriously though, it would be nice to see a new coaster at Oakwood but I doubt that the space occupied by Brer Rabbit is big enough.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"