Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
haydn!

D4n wrote:
haydn! wrote: Is there meant to be some consistent theme tying all these ad-hoc attractions together? The only potential connection I see is Peter Pan or Neverland... but you'd have thought they'd mention it by now.
There is no over-riding theme...
You was saying?  8)
oakLee

I've managed to grab one of the new leaflets and have taken a copy of the new park map!  (not the best quality sorry, but gives you an idea of the Neverland layout!)

Thriller

The map shows an imbalance of family attractions to Thrill Coaster now.........hopefully next year, then I will return. Was disappointed last year with the park and although this is an improvement this year, is it enough to make me visit again or is it Alton Towers Scarefest or 2 days again?????

On a positive side it seems Oakwood has a 5 year investment plan. If this includes 2 steel coasters, maybe a B&M (inverted maybe too much to ask), this would in courage me to visit Twice a year. Oakwood is only 1hr50 away from me and would love to see it improve and of ourselves it's WELSH :-)
JamesP

The parks website has now been updated with the new park map and attractions list.
oakLee

They've posted a huge update on their Facebook page!! Here's a small selection...

Skull Rock testing!

Themed queue for Skull Rock

Tink's Flying School testing!

Crocodile Coaster, some more great theming on the station!

Neverland Chase & Lost Boy's Adventure (outdoor play area) construction...

Inside the Darling's House attraction!

They've even got themed Bins!!

Can't wait for opening day on Whitsun! :)
Dara

Thriller wrote: The map shows an imbalance of family attractions to Thrill Coaster now
Thing is though, this is where the park have been going wrong over the years leading up to this. There used to be alot of emphasis placed on the "Ride the big 4" marketing campaign with huge focus on their four big thrill rides. If you look at the map now it puts most of the emphasis on Neverland, which is understandable as it's this years big marketing focus, alot less emphasis on the big 4 and a better focus on the all round offerring of the park. This makes more sense, as over emphasising four big rides is just silly and doesn't work. It makes families feel excluded and what happens when one of two of those four big rides break down?!

The new map is much better and shows that there's plenty for everyone to do and I think there's plenty in the park to keep both families and thrill seekers happy, without some silly over emphasis on 4 big rides which nearly ignores the rest of the park.
JamesP

Their Facebook page has been updated to say:
NEVERLAND NOW OPEN!!!! It's finally come to that time, Neverland officially opened this afternoon. We hope you can come down and see it for yourself!

But that's not all..... Keep following this Developer's Diary page because Neverland is just the beginning. Here at Oakwood we have so many exciting plans for future development, with new attractions to appeal to all different age groups. Here on the Developer's Diary you'll be the first to know of any future expansion plans here at Oakwood- Wales' Biggest Family Adventure!
Look forward to visiting the park this summer to see the new development.  More importantly, they keep referring to a plan over the next 5 years to redevelop parts of the park with new attractions.  Looks like an exciting time ahead for Oakwood!
Dara

Indeed. I think, up unitl recently, the park's main focus has been on clearing the huge and highly publised debt that they were in when Aspro took over. Aspro inherited all that debt and understandably, investment had to be reduced until that debt was paid off.

Now that it's been paid off, if Neverland is a success, I'm confident that we'll see proper investment each year. And by proper I mean something a bit more exciting than 2012's addition of water cannons on Drenched and the "Wild West" area (which was literally just a sign). Neverland is something which will make Oakwood stand out, and future investment is likely to be family focussed but good quality. Maybe a rapids ride or some other decent sized new family rides could be on the cards. Who knows. Time will tell  :D
Last edited by Dara on Tue May 28, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thriller

I would have liked to have seen a rapids ride, but will Oakwood really go for another water ride? That would make 5 water rides in a UK park. A good coaster that bridges the gap between Treetops and Speed would be more than welcome. Maybe in a couple of years a suspended (inverted) coaster could be added as an addition to the 'big 5'. I know they have to concentrate on families as well, but they still need to improve the thrill seekers element as well.
JamesP

Although a rapids would be a good family addition, I would of thought that the cost of a 'traditional' rapids ride would be quite high. A mid-range family rollercoaster, such as a mine train type ride would be a good addition to the range of rides on offer.  For a thrill coaster I would like them to continue the tradition of unique ride installations (at least in the uk), something like the new inverting wooden rollercoasters from Gravity Group or Rocky Mountain construction would be great, and be quite a good marketing trick for the park.
scruffy_

Is there any Oakwood fan sites?
Themeparksandy1981

scruffy_ wrote: Is there any Oakwood fan sites?
I found this one:
http://www.oakwoodobserver.co.uk/
Pennywise

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I found this one:
http://www.oakwoodobserver.co.uk/
I run that particular website. Unfortunately it was never completely finished and is now hopelessly out of date.
Dara

I believe that's the only one. It would be nice to see a fully functioning Oakwood fan site as the park do now seem to be trying to get back in to the big league where they belong  :D
hell lepard

My question is after buying so many second hand rides this year and creating never land.
Will they now incorporate a true thrill ride to bring in the older guests again?.
It's meant to be a five year investment.  I'm just hoping its not completely family.
they have a woody and an euro fighter both of which are high quality rides. I'm left thinking tho that for anyone outside of the immediate area there isn't really that full day that you'd get elsewhere.
Comments please
JamesP

There was a strong hint at recent roller coaster club events in the park that next year will see the introduction of a major ride, likely a rollercoaster. Whether this is a second hand ride, such as Knightmare, or not remains to be seen.  I'd love to see another wooden coaster, but won't be holding my breath that we'll get a brand new rollercoaster.  It would be great if any development also involved some work to the 'wild west' area as it is looking pretty run down now, particularly when compared to Neverland.
DeanGaryCox

I'm going tomorrow, and have never been before... but looking at the list (and videos) of the rides they have, there is a serious lack of a thrilling flat ride - as they are only a small park and don't have the sort of investment of merlin etc. i'm guessing if they were to get something in the next year or so for the thrill market it would be a flat ride, so something like Vortex at Thorpe Park?
Image 2014
Thriller

I would love to see Wild West sorted out. Would be great to see Nutty Jake return to the park as a ride and as the Mascot for the park. I think that a Mine Train style Rollercoaster ride wold be a great addition in this area next year as well. That surely shouldn't be out of reach of the park at this time. Perhaps 2016 a Major Coaster? An Inverted would be great but can't see that happening anytime soon. I can't see a rapids ride happening now either as Oakwood has 5 water ride already.
hell lepard

A rapids ride wouldn't be a stand out ride for the park. An Invert is a nice idea but I'd rather the extra woody as it is oakwood by name
Gorrock

I visited Oakwood a few weeks ago, and went on Hydro (Drenched), Megafobia, Vertigo, Speed, the Pirate Ship, Bounce and the log flume, but it left me thinking, once you've been on the big five,  it gets kinda boring. So, what do you think Oakwood could get? Or what coaster could they get? Could they afford another Intamin or even a B&M?
Thanks - Gorr
Last edited by Gorrock on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''To many, no doubt, he will seem somewhat blatant and bumptious, but we prefer to regard him as being simply British'' - Oscar Wilde