Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dara

The 3D cinema was roughly on Hydro's site, but did close a few years before Hydro's construction. You don't really see those 3D cinemas in domes anymore. I'm pretty sure Thorpe used to have one as well as, obviously, Alton Towers. I guess they've just become out-dated.

As for Bounce, it did indeed replace the assault course and, again, I guess Oakwood just saw the assault course as something that was outdated and better suited to a country park rather than theme park setting. If this was the case, I guess we're lucky that this attitude didn't extend to the likes of Bobsleigh and the Boating Lake.

On a different topic, does anyone know if the Bowling alley next door to Oakwood (and run by the park) still operates? I've driven past it a few times at various different times of day and it looks pretty shut down  :?
Mallard51

Dara wrote:
On a different topic, does anyone know if the Bowling alley next door to Oakwood (and run by the park) still operates? I've driven past it a few times at various different times of day and it looks pretty shut down  :?
No its closed down now, did open on late nights for the Irish vistors but apart from that its closed.
Dara

I thought so. Things aren't looking good for the future of Oakwood, it was really quiet on my last visit and that was in the height of summer  :cry:
spark

Sounds like if investment isn't forth coming the park could end up like American Adventure
scruffy_

Hope not, with it being the only theme park in Wales
Mallard51

ajm033

Hello,

Someone beat me to news. Copied from a trade magazine...

Park director Dominic Jones said the development would be a major boost for the local economy

Wales’ Oakwood Theme Park has announced that it will be investing £4m in its facilities ahead of the 2013 summer season.

The investment will see a new restaurant and café, family park area, themed retail areas and series of new rides and experiences at the Pembrokeshire attraction, which includes more than 30 rides and experiences set in 80 acres of countryside.

A family-friendly facility will include baby-changing facilities, high chairs and microwaves.

Park director Dominic Jones said the investment is the largest the park had seen in a decade and was a response to visitor feedback.

He said the development would be a major boost for the local economy and create a number of new jobs.

“This will be the latest new attraction of its kind in Wales and is the first phase in an ambitious and ongoing programme of investment over the coming years.”

Full details of the new attraction will be released early in 2013 and work is set to begin in the next couple of weeks.

Oakwood Theme Park is part of the Aspro Group, which has nine parks in the UK and is Europe’s largest leisure park operator.
EC!

yay i cant wait even if it's not a roller coaster, the fact there is new attractions is just awesome :) maybe some thrill rides like the ones in Thorpe park. Also all the rides that look abit knackered would be put right with the money hopefully. Sorry if i sound giddy but i love that park and it's nice to see investment
Last edited by EC! on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LPAJ13

*books holiday now as long as it doesn't clash with the 27th July*
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
Mallard51

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oakwood-T ... 04?fref=ts

Oakwood have created a New Page on Facebook Called Developers Diary. Nice to See Oakwood Adding Something New!
Pennywise

Personally, as a big fan of Oakwood Theme Park, I find this to be a really quite exciting investment and one that's well overdue. I think the majority of people who've visited the park have found it to be a very pleasant, welcoming place which seems to be particularly well run considering it's low visitor numbers. But whereas parks such as Camelot and Flamingo Land have been panic buying and making rash, poor installations Oakwood have merely been consolidating their funds since 2006. Their existing attractions, however, have been particularly well maintained and any general visitor would get the sense that the management have a great deal of pride in the place.

However, the park's major flaw is that there simply isn't enough there to take up an entire day - unless you're an enthusiast interested in multiple rerides on Speed and Megafobia - two of the best coasters in the UK. If this is the high quality investment in additional attractions that I expect from the park, then it'll be a truly fantastic addition, and a credit to the park considering that the majority of their market research seems to imply that investment in new attractions has a very minimal impact upon their visitor numbers (due to the location). I should hope, and expect, that an IP will be incorporated into this to encourage the family market, especially young children, to want to visit - because the place seems to be slightly 'too' geared towards thrill seekers at present, considering the small size.

In a word; exciting.
EC!

Oakwood have ordered  the rides and are going to reveal them this month and they will be ready and open by about April/May this year. There are about 5/6/7 rides that Oakwood have ordered, I think there will be some Huss rides like a Frisbee (standard, XL, or Giant but most likely standard) an enterprise (or even one of those Fly Away's) or a top spin. Then I think they will have some Fabbri or Zamperla rides. It would be nice to see a Vekoma boomerang or invertigo but I'm being optimistic. Anyway what does everybody think and what rides do you want there and what do you expect?
The Moon

A good family coaster, Treetops is nice and all but not enough. And some good flats to enhance the Bounce/Speed/Megafobia selection.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Pennywise

The quality of the rides rides isn't important to me, they already have more than enough world-class attractions (Megafobia, Speed) for a park so small. What is important is to significantly expand the quantity of attractions, whilst keeping a pleasant atmosphere and preferably an overriding theme for the area. I expect a number of Zamperla additions, including a Rock'n Tug and a Disk'O, and some sort of headliner. Hopefully this will be a medium thrill flat - something like Quantum - and not a gimmicky attraction such as a 4D.

Pushing the boat out I could perhaps see them investing in something like an Intamin ZacSpin, which would be cool, but the worst thing Oakwood could possibly do is blow the budget almost entirely on a single attraction.
Thriller

They said an exciting water ride is being developed. Now......the only water ride Oakwood is missing is a Rapids style ride. What is the possibility that it will be a small rapids ride? Be great to see one and a Mack minetrain ride to bridge the gap between Treetops and Speed....one can only hope  :)
EC!

Hopefully I would like to see in my personal and realistic opinion I'd like to see a rafting ride, a huss frisbee of any size and a mine train or the new ride in duinrell called dragonfly it actually an inexpensive ( as its made by zierer) and provides enough thrills but is family orientated enough. I would like to see a top spin but is most likely going in my opinion going to be like a zamperla disk o or air race which will still be cool. I just want them to reveal it so I can hav something to look forward to even if the ride are not that thrillin it's more to do there which will be good for the park and because the prices this year are froze at 2012 rates it wil definitely draw in more crowds and that will mean more money and more money means more investment and more investment means more rides which are bigger and better. Look at thorpe park in the nineties, it was a relatively unheard of (well at least where I'm from) theme park that didn't have many top rides apart from X and look at it now it is one of the leading and largest in Europe. I hope Oakwood follows them :)
EC!

http://www.fabbrigroup.com/MEP/default. ... menuid=971
I'd love this. Its compact, looks fun for all ages and its definately more hard core then crappy old storm surge in thorpe 

also these zamperla rides would be cool
http://www.zamperla.com/en/zamperla-det ... flume_ride

http://www.zamperla.com/en/zamperla-det ... ater_fight

http://www.zamperla.com/en/zamperla-det ... hydro_lift
ThrillJunkie

I think we will see a mini Nickelodeon land if I'm honest. A number of small off the shelf kids / family rides with a light theme. Wouldn't even be surprised if they retheme some of there current kids rides.

I'd almost put money on a Moser Rides drop tower and a re theme of there current family water ride that takes riders around the little farm at the back of KidsWorld.

Personally I don't like any of EC! suggestions. They just look plain and generic with no real character. I've been on the River Rapids featured in the Fabbi Group video (Wild River Rafting at West Midland Safari Park) and it's nothing special. Just your run of the mill mobile rapids ride.

Also I'd be surprised to see anything as large scale as a mine train coaster or a river rapids ride as this new area isn't going to be that big especially when you think they've got 6 rides, indoor and outdoor play area, cafe and restaurant plus facilities to go in there too.

But at the end of the day at least its investment, Finally!
ThrillJunkieUK
EC!

to be honest thrilljunkie you might not like my suggestions but if they were going to include anothere water ride then they'd be the most likely installations. i dont care really its investment and means oakwood havnt given up.
ThrillJunkie

Sorry EC! if my last comment came over as threatening in any way. It was not meant to sound that way.

Well if the rumors are correct Oakwood have bought Camelots log flume which would fit in Oakwoods new area nicely.
ThrillJunkieUK