Universal Studios Singapore

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ash

Hey

The Press Release:

The big news today from Universal Studios and Resorts World at Sentosa was the unveiling of the plans to build a major theme park mega-attraction based on the Transformers film series that will open first at the new Universal Studios Singapore theme park, to be followed by a copy at Universal Studios Hollywood.

While there are no solid details about the exact ride system itself, I’ve got to wonder if this may be the next evolution use of the ride system used on the award-winning Spiderman dark rides in Orlando and Japan. Certainly the omission of those two popular markets for the attraction does raise an eyebrow, though Orlando currently has it’s hands full with Harry Potter.

Still... if there was any other movie theme that would really warrant the use of the Spiderman ride system, Tranformers would be it, allowing for a mix of real in your face special effects mixed with giant 3D projection technology to bring the giant battle-bots to life.

Now for some quotes from the press release as well as an impressive piece of concept artwork.
“The attraction will fuse 3D-HD media, mega special effects and stunning robotics with a ride system that will transform perceptions of theme park experiences. The rides are scheduled to make their debuts first at Universal Studios Singapore and then at Universal Studios Hollywood, both prior to summer, 2011.”

In "Transformers," Earth’s humans are caught in the middle of an intergalactic war between the friendly Autobots and the evil Decepticons, which are able to change into a variety of objects, including cars, trucks, planes and other technological creations.

Tom Williams, Chairman and CEO, Universal Parks & Resorts, said: "Transformers will be a jewel in our collection of world-class rides based on great movies. We’re thrilled to be collaborating with Hasbro, DreamWorks, director Michael Bay and the film’s executive producer, Steven Spielberg, who has been responsible for so many of our signature rides and attractions."

Tan Hee Teck, Chief Executive Officer of Resorts World at Sentosa, the mega resort that is home to Universal Studios Singapore, said: "It is great that Asia will be the launch pad for the first Transformers attraction. Transformers was introduced to the United States in 1983 but traces its roots to Asia. Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Megatron are familiar names to Asian audiences, who grew up with the robot toys and love the movie. When Transformers opens in Universal Studios Singapore in 2011, it will be the first of its kind in the world. We may see a surge of Transformers mania.’’

Larry Kurzweil, President and Chief Operating Officer, Universal Studios Hollywood, said: “Transformers represents a perfect match for our theme park: an exhilarating blockbuster with a great story, clever humor, non-stop action and flawless special effects. It has all the elements necessary to become one of the world’s most exciting theme park rides and a centerpiece attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood, The Entertainment Capital of L.A."

Being a huge Transformers fan, awaiting the next film this is exciting!

Should be taking 5D attractions to the next level, and hopefully (due to them becoming more popular) decrease there cost, much like what John Wardley said many moons ago.

Hoping that as they become cheaper to install, a park may let him have a go at one some day!

Interesting!
Kaz

Is it Universal who own the RoboCoaster rights? I can't remember... If it is then no doubt this is some kind of RoboCoaster adaptation.
Maelstrom

From what has been released about the ride and concept art it is expected to be a next generation of the Spiderman ride at Islands of Adventre. Ie using a similar ride system ad using High Def digital 3d images and themed to transformers. This is also one of the reasons people think the ride wasn't also anounced as going to Orlando or Japan as they already have the spiderman ride. Although Oralndo have their hands full for next few years with new rides and attractions anyway.
Johno

I was wondering,

Does anybody know when this park will open?

Cheers,

Johno
Chris W

A quick google search says its expected by 2010, sounds about right as I haven't heard much about construction of it as of yet.

The new dueling coaster in development sounds interesting.
Stu

The Roaming Robots company i work for go to Singapore twice a year with robotic combat stuff and education etc.. and they have to use the cable car that goes through this park being constructed at the moment, and all the times i wanted to go with the company, i couldn't due to Uni exams.. but now i have full tiem job will book time off to go in 2010 and visit this ace park. Looks kewl. My boss is going early next year and said he'd take pics etc for me. He said he herd from the locals etc and people he was working there that there are a few uproars of the size of this park etc that it takes up most of the island - [url=http://www.rwsentosa.com/en_universalstudio.html" target="_blank]http://www.rwsentosa.com/en_universalstudio.html[/url]