Small claim to fame *RIP RollerCoaster*

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ash84

Today (well yesterday, 2nd Nov 2008) was the final day for PBB's RollerCoaster ride, and I'm pleased to say I was its final passanger, being at the back seat of the final train.

The ride wont be running (apparantly) in 2009, if it will be removed/SBNO/re-opening in the furture is unclear at this time.

Ash
jonathan leake

Its closing? How the hell do i miss these things.
SAM93

sorry what ride is this

I'm not very good with the abbreviations, all I know is RMT and PMBO
jonathan leake

Im guessing he means this one
[url=http://www.rcdb.com/id793.htm" target="_blank]http://www.rcdb.com/id793.htm[/url]
Ash84

Yep, thats the one. Its not an abbreviation, its simpley called RollerCoaster (that was I believe where the generic name came from, up until that time coasters were refered to as Big Dippers, but dont quote me on that!)

As I said, the future of this ride is unclear as things stand.

I'll be watching over the winter and any updates I get I'll post on here.

Ash
SAM93

ok I just got a bit confused with the whole PBB thing

Its not a bad ride, how did you find out that they are closing it?
Matt

Wow, this is a shock, I don't know much about BPB but I know that I found rollercoaster to be the best of the woodies at the park on my last visit last month.

It's a shame its going.
:(
jonathan leake

Wasnt Rollercoaster once called Velvet im pretty sure it was this ones. Its just i know my mates grandad or great grandad used to work on a coaster called Velvet that im sure was at PBB
LukeJ

As if!
I went to PBB last month for the first time and I got on this 5 times!
I thoguht it was amazing and a lot better than Big Dipper.
Gutted :(
Quickey

That is a shock! I didn’t know a thing about that!

It is actually pretty sad. I would have liked to get one last ride on it before it closed. In fact, I haven’t even been on since the new trains were installed.

Why did they spend the time and money on putting new trains on it mid way through this season if they were going to close it?
Ash84

Its not a bad ride, how did you find out that they are closing it?
I had heard on the grape vine about a week ago, but wasn't convinced. However, one of the op'sasked an enthusiast to take a picture of him beside the rides brake leavers, also when the last train was loaded all 4 op's (yes 4, I've never known as many on the RollerCoaster!) came onto the platform and said congratulations, you are the last ever riders. We had a bit of a natter, then off we went.

A few people were actually crying on the steps leading to the ride, (and a couple more weren't too far off!) reminded me of when the Log Flume closed in 2006.
Wasnt Rollercoaster once called Velvet im pretty sure it was this ones. Its just i know my mates grandad or great grandad used to work on a coaster called Velvet that im sure was at PBB
The RollerCoaster was born out of the remains of the Velvet coaster (which opened in 1909) in the earily 1930's Bond St (road running around the back of the park) was re-routed, meaning the Velvet Coaster, Scenic Railway and Water Chute had to be removed. The Railway closed, and the Grand National was built on its site. The entire Velvet Coaster was removed, appart from the lift hill, this was used as a starting point for the RollerCoaster and is the last serviving section of the Velvet Coaster. RollerCoaster opened in 1932.

Ash
caffeine_demon

Can't believe they're closing it - went on satuirday and it's a great ride - had a big queue too! nice of them to give no notice at all too....
LiamSAFC

Well I also have a small claim to fame this year, Flamingo Land's 1st customer of this season!

Anyways, the coaster is great for small kids and even us lot on here. Brilliant ride stooped in history and I'd rather something else got removed. It's an out and back coaster and it doesn't take up much space anyways, so what they'll replace it with will be a complete mystery.
:?
DomB

Screamscape seem to think it's not true, and it's just a ride Op pratting about.

Linkage: [url=http://www.screamscape.com/html/blackpo ... _beach.htm" target="_blank]http://www.screamscape.com/html/blackpo ... _beach.htm[/url]
Ash84

I hope I'm proved wrong, believe me I do! However, if scream scape are correct, its much more than 'a ride op' pratting about.

Ash
Luce

I hope Rollercoaster's not going either as it was one of my favourite rides when I went to Blackpool last month. One of the things I loved about the Pleasure Beach was the array of classic rides and going on the old woodies was fantastic! :D
Coke

If this is true, they didn't publicise it much did they? I've only been to the Pleasure Beach once and I didn't ride Rollercoaster, but is it true it doesn't have seatbelts and gives great airtime?

Are you thirsty?
Ash84

Hi Coke,

It ran up until 2006 without lap bars or belts, it was just get in and off it went.

A seat belt was introduced after the SuperSaver weekends in 2006 (just long enough for them to get away with 2 train operation one last time) which went across the double seat (one belt over both riders) and may as well of not been there for what good it was.

However in the summer this year an ex Big Dipper train was re-vamped, painted up and used on the ride. I was against this at the start, however, I prefer the new train now. The train is heavier, meaning the ride really does fly down the return section of the ride, and the bars are not too tight (grand national take note!) to the airtime is actually better than before.

Ash
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

I very much doubt it's going, they have just spent a lot of money rebuilding the lift hill this year and they plan to replace the wood over the coming years not to mention the new trains. I would put money on it remaining where it is and to be honest the Pleasure Beach seem to be removing a ride a week at the moment. :? Space Invader going I'm lead to believe just because it's been closed for a while?

If the Roller Coaster was going then I'm sure the PB would have announced it and built some publicity on the back of it. I'm not convinced that a ride ops comment means it's going and I know they feed you lies for their own kicks, been told straight from the big horses mouth. :)
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Ash84

Spike, most of what you say has crossed my mind too, but there are answers to the majority of it (unfortunatly, as I would love to be proved wrong about this on opening day next year and hope I am) but the money spend on the train referb means very little. Do you remember the money spent on redoing the Water Chute to re-open it as the Vikingar? What happened, it closed 3 years later, was left to rot, had a load spent on it again, it ran for 2 more years, then it was removed.

Granted RollerCoaster is a lot more popular, but this kind of money wasting isnt beyond PBB's capability.
If the Roller Coaster was going then I'm sure the PB would have announced it and built some publicity on the back of it.
Or maybe they decided to keep it quite to prevent any publicity. Afterall a repeate of the Cyclone insidents wouldn't be a good thing for them.
I'm not convinced that a ride ops comment means it's going and I know they feed you lies for their own kicks, been told straight from the big horses mouth.
I know they do, and if thats the case, everyone from ride op to senior managment is in on the act, and it involves ride op's from many differnt rides. If thats the case, we've been made complete fools off, I hope we have. But for ride ops to ask for photos taken at the controls of the ride, and to have none enthusiasts in tears about it is taking it a bit far.

Ash