Fire raging at Universal Studios

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Rowe

I heard about it first thing I woke up, it's quite unfortunate really. I'm a massive fan of Back To The Future and the town set destroyed? :( Does anyone know if they'll be able to reconstruct any of the sets, including King Kong?
Nick

If they want to spend the money, they can rebuild it all if they want
smeg_head

[quote=""BiancaLizz""]I heard about it first thing I woke up, it's quite unfortunate really. I'm a massive fan of Back To The Future and the town set destroyed? :( Does anyone know if they'll be able to reconstruct any of the sets, including King Kong?[/quote]

The BTTF set was also severely damaged in a fire in 1990. They rebuilt it then and I'm sure they'll do it again (the fact it's currently being used for Ghost Whisperer helps the case for rebuilding.)
Kaz

Click!

Above is a video well worth watching...
CGM

I can't believe that Kong's gone. Being terrified by that section of the tram tour is one of my earliest memories. A great piece of cinematic history destroyed. And the Back to the Future set as well. It seems ironic that this should happen so soon after the closure of the ride.
Oh right, I thought it was the Florida one. It's not so I don't care...
I may be missing some subtle sarcasm but if not...

To say that that's a narrow-minded view is putting it bluntly. Not only is it sad that you don't care a bit about parks that you haven't visited, you seem to be missing the point that Universal Hollywood is the genuine article. Unlike Florida which is just an empty clone full of mock-ups, USH is a real, working studio and has a significant role in the history of film as well as themeparks. There are so many ride technologies that have been pioneered there. The format of a film-based theme park has been copied across the world, even Disney has jumped on the film studio park bandwagon.

Anyway, a sad event for both film lovers and theme park enthusiast. I would have thought that in Southern California where wildfires are common and particuarly in a film studio where they deal with all sorts of pyro effects, they would have had it under controll more quickly but at least no one was badly hurt