Dreamworld Australia

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
amylovesaltontowers

Does anyone know where the tallest drop tower in the world is or has anyone actually been on it?

If anyone could give me any information on this then that would be great as i was searching for it but could not seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Amy
:D
Last edited by amylovesaltontowers on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'
Chris-TT

It’s The Giant Drop at Dreamworld. 118 metres tall! I’ve not been on that, but I’ve been on Drop Zone at Kings Island which is just over 100 metres. TBH Detonator felt worse, but detonator obviously doesn’t have the anticipation factor about it!
Last edited by Chris-TT on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

And at a rather staggering 370ft too :wink:

Its an Intamin Drop Tower attatched to the side of a Reverse Freefall launched coaster
Chris-TT

Just found this while looking at Intamin Drop Towers...

Superman:Tower of Power at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom...

On June 21, 2007, a 13-year-old female from Louisville, Kentucky had both feet severed above the ankle by a snapped cable, caused by an unidentified ride malfunction In reaction to this accident, at least nine similar rides around the world were closed for inspection at Gröna Lund in Stockholm, Sweden, Kennywood in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and at parks run by Six Flags, Cedar Fair, and PARC Management. On July 3, 2007, the victim's family released a statement stating that her right foot had been successfully reattached. On July 13, 2007, the victim's family filed a lawsuit for unspecified damages against the park claiming that the park did not properly maintain the ride.
Last edited by Chris-TT on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amylovesaltontowers

Does anyone have any videos?
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'
Chris-TT

Try putting the name of the ride into Google
Sazzle

http://towerstimesforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17024

However you missed that discussion I'll never know!
Chris-TT

Yeah sorry, was on holiday while that all happened! :P Crazy stuff though!
Luce

Does anyone know where the tallest drop tower in the world is or has anyone actually been on it?
I went on the Giant Drop last year and it's a really good ride, mainly because you have time to admire the view from the top before you're dropped to the bottom :D

Also, Tower of Terror, the reverse freefall coaster it shares the tower with, is equally impressive! :D

ToT on rcdb: http://www.rcdb.com/id1127.htm
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Isn't Blue Falls the largest drop tower?
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Mankey

The Japanese one? i think it is, dont hold me to that though. The size of it seemed to stump TPR so it might be...

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
NemmyLover

351ft is Blue Falls:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN

370ft (ish): Giant drop
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN

Giant drop is amazingly scary!
The tower wobbles as the coaster launches up the side! Amazing expierience, scary as hell :)!
amylovesaltontowers

Thanks for that. :D
Mankey

Haha both the links are to Blue Falls :wink:

anyway thanks for clearing up the height indifference

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
amylovesaltontowers

[quote=""mankey52""]Haha both the links are to Blue Falls :wink:

anyway thanks for clearing up the height indifference

^^ Chris ^^
[/quote]

I though that they were both the same photo, but i was only really interested in the Blue Falls photo anyway as i have seen one of the Giant Drop but could not find anything about Blue Falls. Great photo anyway! :D

I think it is great how they have put the Tower of Terror up the side of The Giant Drop, it really looks good and they both fit together well. They are like sister rides, like Air and Nemesis of Alton Towers.:)
DiogoJ42

surely the tallest drop tower in the world is the Big Shot? :wink:
NemmyLover

Sorry about the 2 of the same picture! The copy must not have worked! lol!
Big shot aint a drop towers!
DiogoJ42

[quote=""NemmyLover""]
Big shot aint a drop towers![/quote]

It is a tower. you drop down it. what's to debate here?
Craig

[quote=""Diogoj42""][quote=""NemmyLover""]
Big shot aint a drop towers![/quote]

It is a tower. you drop down it. what's to debate here?[/quote]

The clue's in the name :D There's three types of tower ride:

Drop Towers - This is what the topics about. A tower ride which hoists you up to the top, holds you there and then drops you after a few seconds. The hold at the top creates tension, and some have pistons at the top to create a force greater than freefall. Detonator at Thorpe is a drop tower.

Shot Tower - This is what Big Shot does along with Ice Blast at Blackpool among many others. Basically they go up slightly, the air pressurises then up you go, bouncing your way back down.

Shot and Drop Tower - A combination of both. A shot part of the ride to start off with, then you're taken to the top and held for the drop. Flamingo Land's cliffhanger does this (when it works!)
DiogoJ42

yes, there are different types (I hate 'em all!) But surely they come under the litteral discription of a tower that makes you drop?

that's like the people who say Thunder Looper wasn't a rollercoaster because it wasn't a full circuit of track. It coasts and rolls on the rails, hence 'rollercoaster'.

Should Rita be reclassified because it has no lift hill? It may not be traditional, but it still comes under the catagory of a 'coaster. (unlike the RMT, as we all know)

If it drops down a tower, then to me, that makes it a drop tower.