Girl's legs severed: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Cobra_Roll

Shocking story and accident at six flags Kentucky kingdom:

A girls feet severed on the Superman tower of Power ride:

http://www.wlky.com/news/13547817/detai ... u&psp=news

http://www.whas11.com/topstories/storie ... 52d52.html

Horrific.
<3-roll. Geddit?
Mankey

Oh my god! thats terrible! arrrgh this is another reason to HATE flats!!

I feel so sorry for her! i hope shes okay!

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
Craig

That's absolutely horrible. I'm very surprised a cable has snapped in this way too. There's usually so much checking that goes on with these types of rides due to the forces placed on the cable during its operation.
Ash

What type of ride was it?
TenZero

[quote=""Titler""]What type of ride was it?[/quote]

Drop tower, it says in both articles.
Craig

It's an Intamin Giant Drop tower that's failed. See here for a pic when it was call Hellevator prior to it's Superman renaming.
DiogoJ42

another good reason why I refuse to go on drop towers!
Parkey

Ouch. That's well harsh.
Brap
stokywolf

Yet another black mark on H+S in intamins books.
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
Rita 2005

That is shocking.
caffeine_demon

This is pretty gruesome, but let's get things into perspective

At the top 50 theme parks worldwide, there is approximately 250 million yearly attendance
http://www.ibiblio.org/darlene/coaster/ ... dance.html

The incident statiistics on themeparkinsider.com give about 20 confirmed incidents, and 20 unconfirmed over the last year (any serious incident will be in the confirmed)

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/accidents/

of the unconfimed, 3 are too vague to make out, 3 look like a ride fault (nothing serious) and 1 may have been the ride op - others were preexisting conditions, or minor whiplash/bruising

og the confirmed - there were 6 defaths, and 5 others were very serious. there 5 xases of ride op or maintenance error and 5 cases of ride failure

now - just think how many accidents there are on the m25...
Mankey

[quote=""marky.com""]Intamin - yet again. It's a name that just keeps cropping up in theme park accidents.

:shock:[/quote]

I noticed that too... Intamin are fairly good though :? Im surprised we dont see more vekoma!

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
halltd

Just because Intamin is the manufacturer, doesn't mean they're to blame. It could very well be the park's fault. In all the accidents with Intamin, it's usually park maintenance or guest stupidity to blame. I'm not saying the kid did anything wrong here, because obviously she didn't. But, it's not to say the park didn't inspect that cable often enough.

A cable on an amusement ride is like brakes on a car. Should Ford me liable if I never change the brakes on my car and one day I crash because I can't stop? Uh no. That's my own fault.
"Rita: Queen of Speed. Your best Alton Towers\' ride evAr!"
Chris1

Well I aint ever going on Apocalypse again....

Especially seeing how rubbish their staff are...
CGM

Just because Intamin is the manufacturer, doesn't mean they're to blame. It could very well be the park's fault. In all the accidents with Intamin, it's usually park maintenance or guest stupidity to blame. I'm not saying the kid did anything wrong here, because obviously she didn't. But, it's not to say the park didn't inspect that cable often enough.
Then why is it always Intamin rides that are connected with these accidents and no other manufacterers?

Yes, it may have been due to lack of maintainance but more likely than not, there are just as many badly maintained rides from all of the other manufacturers that don't cause a major accident if the ride is neglected slightly or run badly.

I'll admit that this incident was incredibly unlucky, no one could have predicted that the cable would snag on the girl's legs like that and it's an incredibly horrible thing to happen, but I think that the Intamin brand is cropping up too frequently in relation to accidents for this to be mere coincidence. They need to re-evaluate their ride safety
altontowerskid

This is a horrible incident but i think it is 1 in a million. I am going to Drayton Manor in 4 weeks and i will be going on Apocalypse because i feel that things like this happen just by pure luck. I hope the girl is ok and the rest of the riders.

The way how the article reports this, it sounds like the car just fell and the brakes did not kick in, if this would have happened it sounds like it would have been much worse, imagine a car falling at 50mph and hitting a concrete floor, it sounds very nasty.
Shent

[quote=""altontowerskid""]This is a horrible incident but i think it is 1 in a million. I am going to Drayton Manor in 4 weeks and i will be going on Apocalypse because i feel that things like this happen just by pure luck. I hope the girl is ok and the rest of the riders.

The way how the article reports this, it sounds like the car just fell and the brakes did not kick in, if this would have happened it sounds like it would have been much worse, imagine a car falling at 50mph and hitting a concrete floor, it sounds very nasty.[/quote]

The brakes are fins like on the rockets, they cn not kick in as there fixed to the towers.

It does say in the news report the cable WASNT made by intamin.

so.. Still very shocking though
......The one and only... :sus:
CGM

Nope, the brakes still worked, otherwise this would have been a lot worse. It was the snapped cable that did the damage
halltd

[quote=""CGM""]Then why is it always Intamin rides that are connected with these accidents and no other manufacterers?[/quote]

Let's see.

1. Fujin Raijin II is a Togo coaster. Not Intamin. (one dead, 19 injured)
2. Steel Dragon 2000 is a Morgan coaster. Not Intamin. (wheel assembly falls off, coaster derails, injures 2)
3. Wild Thing is a Morgan coaster. Not Intamin. (coaster derails, injures 14)
4. Batman & Robin: The Chiller is a Premier Rides coaster. Not Intamin. (wheel assembly falls off, all Premier launched coasters shut down)
5. Raging Wolf Bobs is a Dinn Manufacturing coaster. Not Intamin. (coaster derailed)
6. Timber Tower is a Huss ride. Not Intamin. (riders stranded for 6 hours)
7. Magnum XL-200 is an Arrow coaster. Not Intamin. (bumping trains)
8. Enterprise is manufactured by Huss. Not Intamin. (ride fire)
9. BORG Assimilator is a Vekoma coaster. Not Intamin. (seats unlocked while ride was in motion)
10. Son of Beast isn't an Intamin. (structure breaks, injuring 27)

I only listed the events I'm aware of off the top of my head. So, there are PLENTY of accidents that happen on non-Intamin rides.
"Rita: Queen of Speed. Your best Alton Towers\' ride evAr!"
Mankey

woooah! how could u miss out mindbender!?!?

Schwarzkopf! car derailed into a pillar killing ALL the riders in the car.

:( terrible... terrible stuff... possibly the worst coaster crash in history!

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!