Wouldn't like a lift evac from there...

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
John

Just spotted this story on BBC news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6742079.stm

Seems an X car coaster got stuck on the lift during a power failure.

I think I'll stick to coasters with proper lifts for now.
Mankey

hmmm i was wondering if it would do this... you'd think they'd have a way of overriding it so it wouldnt stay there... i woulda thought that would be the 1st thing they resolve!!!

hmmm... thats put me off riding X Car coasters now!

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
Sir John Talbot

Wow...

Hanging upside down for 30 mins can't be healthy!
Parkey

Poor buggers.
Brap
Nick

[quote=""mankey52""]hmmm i was wondering if it would do this... you'd think they'd have a way of overriding it so it wouldnt stay there... i woulda thought that would be the 1st thing they resolve!!![/quote]

Yep its so stupid not having a diesel motor on something like that to power the lift in the case of a power failure or a fault with the normal motor. Saves the discomfort of the people stuck, and also stops them from getting any bad publicity from things like this! If Air has one, surely its a must with an upside down lift hill
Ash

Crikey! that sounds like a court case!

It truly tested the X-Car seats, you would be shitting yourself if you left it slightly open for more airtime eh nick?
$t£v£

[quote=""Sir John Talbot""]Wow...

Hanging upside down for 30 mins can't be healthy![/quote]

It's actually life threatening if youre upside down too long.

This is a serious health risk to lay upon a park with a ride like this.

I should hope that it never comes about that a person dies because of this problem and that the compnay recieve quite a lawsuit for negligence.
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.
Mi-Nigle

There is no way i could handle that! I find it difficult on submission for a few seconds!

By the way, what is an X Coaster?
stokywolf

Two tesco shopping trolleys connected together to make a "train" and created by tacky Mauher sohne coaster manufacturers.

The coasters special feature is that its lift hill is vertical and can go upside down on itself aswell as the restraints are only holding you in by the lap with no OTSR.

Drayton manors G-Force is the same sort of coaster as this and it has to be one of the most pointless coasters ever constructed!
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
Ryan Kingdaka

This is a situation that i really wouldn't want to be in, especially if it's only a lap restrains keeping you in! :shock: But i don't think it would put me off riding such a ride, as the chances of such a thing happening are practically zilch, zero, zomg!

However, i suppose a back up lift hill motor would have been advisable. Perhaps this event may change the parks mind about having one fitted?
altontowerskid

[quote=""Stokywolf""]Two tesco shopping trolleys connected together to make a "train" and created by tacky Mauher sohne coaster manufacturers.

The coasters special feature is that its lift hill is vertical and can go upside down on itself aswell as the restraints are only holding you in by the lap with no OTSR.

Drayton manors G-Force is the same sort of coaster as this and it has to be one of the most pointless coasters ever constructed![/quote]

I believe someone doesn't like the ride :P
I think it's quite a good ride....for Drayton Manor. The ride its self does have some very fun elements and the park did need something of this sort to boost admissions. I believe that G-Force was money well spent for Drayton Manor.
Stu

Dunno if anyone has seen this...
but if heaven forbid an Evac has to take place from a drop tower in the UK - this DONT happen.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1HgQ8J6GFw&NR=1
DiogoJ42

[quote=""mrstu""]Dunno if anyone has seen this...
but if heaven forbid an Evac has to take place from a drop tower in the UK - this DONT happen.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1HgQ8J6GFw&NR=1[/quote]

EEEESH! man that's nasty! could have given us a warning mate- my missus saw that and is freaking out now. we are ment to be going to DMP tomorrow!!!!!! No Apocalypse for us now!

Got stuck on G-Force's lift loop once- thankfully we were vertical and it was only about a minute.

where was that drop tower anyway? anyone know if anyone died? (I hope not)
Mattmills

Ouch is all i can say! poor people
smeg_head

I think it was a Japanese park.
Mankey

Yeah that vid was from Japan... its a documentary, if someone died they wouldnt be allowed to show it

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
plasticboy

Hmm, it looks ride the ride had stopped and they were trying to evac the riders, when for some reason the car became free and dropped throwing people everywhere! thats just shocking.
Kaycee

I believe G-Force at Drayton Manor does have some sort of back-up motor for if a power cut or motor failure occurs when a train is on its lift?
Nick

Yeh I also read elsewhere that it has a diesel motor to power the lift. But then your screwed even more if the chain snaps :P
Kaycee

Well, unlike Six Flags, I've not heard of any problems with Drayton Manor replacing cables and chains when they need to. :P