Harry Potter Theme Park Announced!

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Kelly

Official Annoucement:

http://media.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/

Theres also a video, but it doesn't work for me :?
Mankey

this is just weird... i wonder if it'll keep on goin for a long time? :?

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
sheikra182

I have read about rumors of this area a few months ago but was not sure if it would actually be true. But when I found out today that it was confirmed I was very excited. New rides being added to IOA is very good and I like the choice of theme that they chose for the new rides. I cant wait to watch this be constructed over the summer months. Speaking of that if you guys want coverage on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter than make sure you check in at Coaster Dimension because we will have coverage on it I promise you that!
draytonmanorplus

make sure you check in at Coaster Dimension
That was a bit cheeky. Anyway, this is really great news i think, when i went to IOA i thought that there wasn't enough attractions for a full day, so if they are adding to Lost Continent with the area behind it, it will really enhance the day.

Danzaw*nk

[quote=""draytonmanorplus""]
make sure you check in at Coaster Dimension
That was a bit cheeky. Anyway, this is really great news i think, when i went to IOA i thought that there wasn't enough attractions for a full day, so if they are adding to Lost Continent with the area behind it, it will really enhance the day.[/quote]

There are plenty of attractions a IOA for a busy day, but on a quiet day you can get on loads. I remember doing Hulk 5 times, Dragons 4 times and Spiderman 3 times!

Don't forget it is a relatively new park (1991) so there's still plenty of new attractions needed. I still hope to see a King Kong coaster at some point.

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Jon

This sounds amazing!

I really like the music on that site! Very Harry Potter ishhh. I can imagine that sounding amazing on park.

The whole thing looks so magical! Plus I can't wait to find out what this state-of-the art attraction is all about.
Formerly "Dagoo"
sheikra182

I have heard rumors at other forums that the state of the art ride might be a robo-coaster. I personally hope that is not true. I would love to see Florida finally get a B&M Flyer. I think a flyer would be great at Islands of Adventure, and it would make perfect sense for the theme. It could be a ride themed off of flying around on a broomstick. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a B&M flyer still.
Kelly

http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/video.html

Official annoucement video from the film set of Dumbledores office :)
LiamC

[quote=""Danzaw*nk""]

Don't forget it is a relatively new park (1991) so there's still plenty of new attractions needed. I still hope to see a King Kong coaster at some point.

Dan
[/quote]

Erm, 1991, it didn't open then, trust me! It opened may 1999 :D If your talking about Universal Studios itself, well, that didn't open then either, that opened in 1990.

Anyway, i really look forward to this opening. Im impressed at how eagre they are to start work aswell, saying that they will begin groundbreaking in the next few months. But, as for it opening in late 2009, thats going to be a big challenge, as from looking at those concept drawings, they'll have a hell of a load of work to do!
Danzaw*nk

My mistake that was actually a typo there, I remember relating it to when I was born in my head so accidently typed in 1991 :lol:.

But yes, it is still relatively new.

I really do hope Duelling Dragons isnt closed throughout the summer when I go :( Would be a huge shame.

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
sheikra182

I dont think they will close Dueling Dragons down on your visit to the park. They have almost always kept there rides open and only keep them down for maintence and seeing as this area will not affect Dueling Dragons I bet they will make a path right for Dueling Dragons because IOA knows it is one of there popular attractions and people like it. The atmosphere at both parks is very nice and I love being there so you should have a fun time when your at Universal!
Jon

Its a bit of a shame that Duelling Dragons if it were to be rethemed. I saw the detail in the queue on the programme "The Secret World of Theme Parks". It has a walkthrough story of the two dragons and everything! Having said that, much of the themeing could still be there for Harry Potter. They could simply put a big gold egg in the middle, and call the ride "The First Task".

The unicorns are said to be rethemed aswell. Again, that could stay the same or get rethemed to hipogriffs.

The costs of the wizarding world are said to come to around $265 million!!! I think it's safe to say we deffinatly won't be disappointed...

Also, we have clues to believe from a WB spokesperson that the state of the art ride is going to be based around the blue ford anglia!! I was thinking, would state-of-the-art still bracket an intamin rocket? I know the park already has Hulk as a lauched coaster, but a blue painted Rita would look loads like a ford anglia. Shove it in the forbidden forest and add a few spiders and away we go.

God I love Harry Potter...
Last edited by Jon on Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly "Dagoo"
haydn!

Hmm, I don't think they'd need to retheme Dueling Dragons too much, afterall there are plenty of Dragons in the Potter books... would just need a few tweaks, and they could easily expand on the Potter Dragon themes to encompass the existing theme/ride.
Green.Wing

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

And so it begins. The land clearing as almost being completed. The area is MASSIVE.

http://orlandorocks.com/info.asp?locati ... page=parks

Opening dates at the moment around December 2009.:D
Moley

Harry bloody Potter. If they retheme Duelling Dragons for this load of crap it'll be the biggest mistake possible for Universal Islands Of Adventure IMO.
Mankey

They wouldnt... theres no point, waste of time and money really

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
Gax

Wow this is an old topic! But I thought I'd bring it back up as I just spent a while finding out what's going on with this project and it all looks pretty exciting!

So, much of the Lost Continent has been closed off and a New Bridge has been constructed from Jurassic park leading into the small new area that has been created just for access to Dueling Dragons, which for obvious reasons the park is aiming to keep open as long as possible during the construction. The Entrance to Dueling Dragons has been moved to prepare for the likely retheme of the coasters :)

The Flying Unicorn has been temporarily closed down and corderned off to allow for more heavy retheming to take place.

The 'Enchanted Oak' restaurant has been torn down, as can be seen here to make room for a totally new restaurant based around 'the Three Broomsticks'.

A huge building has gone up which is going to be the 'hogwarts castle' part of the island From the sheer size, it looks as if when it is totally finished, this is could be a really amazing piece of theming.

Finally, the Two dragons that were the original entrance to Dueling Dragons have *GONE!!*. I personally think this is a real shame as they were one of my favourite bits of theming inside the entire park!

Anyway yeah so thats basically whats going on! I can't wait to visit once it's finished!

Please note, I didn't take any of these pictures!!
CoasterCrazyChris

They've pulled down that maginficent, beautiful enchanted oak restaurant for Harry bloody Potter!!!

One of the best pieces of theming (and restaurants) at IOA, and for a place looking like the three broomsticks!!!

I'm all for a Harry Potter themed land, there is so many rides and ideas they could use, but I just wish they hadn't touched that area of the park (Lost Continent), it is so great and original as it is without "the boy who lived"!!!
AstroDan

Even if you are in the anti-Harry Potter camp, then this must still cause excitement - it's one of the biggest single projects the world has EVER seen in a theme park.
CoasterCrazyChris

Oh yeah of course, it does seem very exiting, there are probably around 20 individual rides I could think of you could theme around Potter, and personally I believe Duelling Dragons should be based around Quidditch, two of the opposing teams against each other. Without changing the colour scheme, I suppose it's Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw!
As for the Flying Unicorn's new theme, well who knows! Probably just stay as it is, with tweaks to fit with HP.