Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Burniel

Dom wrote:
Burniel wrote:I'm sorry, but this name is awful.
Firstly, don't judge a book by its cover. Its the attraction as whole we should be judging, and until it opens we can't do that.
Its just a name, and given Chessington's (And Merlin's) reputation at using rubbish name's it comes as no surprise.
But I was making an assessment on the name of the ride, which is undeniably bland. Perhaps my irritable post didn't make it particularly clear, but I'm trying to give this re-theme as much of a chance as I would any ride, at least until I know everything there is to know. But seeing as there is nothing more to develop with the name (as it's confirmed), it's fair to pass judgement on the name, which is, for me, a big part of the magic. As a kid, "I want to go on Bubbleworks!" was a phrase that you could realistically see a child saying and feeling the magic. "I want to go on The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure!" (or as it will be, "I want to go on that Gruffalo one!") is not the same, and it's a real shame that the first thing we've heard about this potentially brilliant ride is that something as simple yet important as its name is a disappointment.
Dom wrote: It is a shame, if the rumors of the area change are true, but we have to stop being sentimental over things. Theme Parks are a business and they will always need to change with the times to attract new guests. Whilst it pain's me to say it, Vampire will eventually leave the park. Yes its a popular ride, but sometimes things need to go.
I've been very aware of Vampire's imminent death for some time now (it's the headliner of my local park after all). It's a shame, but I honestly think that it would be an acceptable price to pay if we end up with that jungle motorbike coaster as its replacement. What I see as a shame if the rumour of the area change is true is that the original Transylvania was an excellent example of how an area could appeal to both the youngest and oldest guests in the park, which is what made Bubbleworks, and the area as a whole, such an all-rounder. It troubles me that this corner of the park seems to have a long-term plan of becoming a stand-out kiddie area (which is, to be fair, something that Chessington lacks) because it would severely limit the audience of this iconic family dark ride. The ride would have to really special and really well-marketed for anyone who's grown out of the Gruffalo to want to ride it if it's in the middle of a big area of a similar theme.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Owen

Honestly I think we should just get used to this way of naming attractions - its hardly the first time we have received a meh name from a fair few parks (across the world) recently. Also, the area rename is now confirmed as said a few posts up and I personally prefer it to Transylvania as "Wild Woods" brings everything together. Also, how is a family ride replacing a family ride an indicator of turning Wild Woods into a kiddie area, as for now we have no idea what might happen with Vampire especially after having some of its theming refurbished - which to me doesn't scream "imminent death". Then to the comments about the ride needing to be good to appeal to older guests, surely that goes for Bubbleworks as well? I only ever went on it as a joke or with a small child personally whereas i can see myself often going on The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure due to it reminding me of a world I haven't visited in years, unlike Bubbleworks which really only appealed to the hardcore adult fans who went on it as a child which would equally limit the market.

My advice would be don't count your chickens before they've hatched based on the name of a ride and your assumption of when an equally, if not more iconic ride will be discontinued. :)
Georgie

I'm not sure what everyone was expecting - they obviously had to include "The Gruffalo"in the ride name, so some sort of descriptive subtitle is appropriate to accompany it. Sure, IP rides have had better names but if no-one's making a fuss over "SAW: The Ride", I fail to see the issue.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
lewis97
Admin
Admin

This article states that Merlin have a ten year license for The Gruffalo IP as well as including the opening date of Saturday 18th March, which was also stated on the Chessington Holidays site and initially in Chessington's press release before being changed to March/Spring 2017.
Justin

Has anyone considered that The Vampire could just be rethemed to fit in with Wild Wood?

I can't see it going. It has recently had evacuation platforms installed, so it certainly won't be removed for a while.
Luce

I'm quite excited about the Bubbleworks re-theme but hope that Merlin do a good job of theming as when they put their minds to it, things can turn out very well like Ghost Train for example :)
Owen

Justin wrote:Has anyone considered that The Vampire could just be rethemed to fit in with Wild Wood?
I wouldn't expect that this would be the case. Vampire has built its own brand for itself at this point and is known worldwide, I wouldn't see why they'd put that at jeopardy seeing as it does fit in with the theme as it is. Not to mention they have only just refurbished some of its major theming elements. :)
Justin

I find it interesting that others say it could be removed, therefore I stand by my opinion that it will stay in its current form, or receive a rebrand if really needed. At the end of the day, they will find it really hard to put another coaster in its place either due to planning permission or space. I do disagree that Vampire is a known worldwide brand though - apart from being an old Arrow! With the recent closure of Bubbleworks, which is certainly iconic within the UK industry, anything is possible.

While I hold a special place for Bubbleworks, it closure hasn't affected me as much as I thought it would, but that could be because I believe things have to move on. I think TGRRA will be amazing for the park, hopefully bringing a bit of magic to a new generation! :)
Liam.W

I highly doubt Vampire would get a retheme, and I also doubt it will be removed in the near future, as they have installed new platforms like someone has mentioned above.

When I first found out about 'Wild Woods' I was worried about how Vampire would fit in with the area, but the more I think about it, it's quite fitting. Obviously no where as fitting as Transylvania but it still works! I'm also coming round to 'Wild Woods', when I first heard it I didn't like it at all, but it is growing on me!

I'm very much looking forward to TGRRA, which I certainly didn't see myself saying when I first found out about the gruffalo rumours!

\:D/ 800th Post!!! \:D/
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

ASturge21

Any ride could get removed if it is not needed or a new attraction provides better markeketing. Vampire will stay for at least 3 more years I believe.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
ThemeCrafter264

As much as I want vampire to go, it is very unlikely to go. Back to TGRRA, it does look like it had the capability of being a very good ride, if the park invests in the attraction well
Owen

ASturge21 wrote:Any ride could get removed if it is not needed or a new attraction provides better markeketing. Vampire will stay for at least 3 more years I believe.
This is true - which is why Vampire is extremely unlikely to go. Vampire remains to be extremely popular and retains a reputation not only in the UK but overseas, and due to where it's placed it's almost certain that nothing near to Vampire's size would replace it. :)

As for the whole area, I think Wild Woods is a fantastic idea - finally tying together the area's attractions!
ThemeCrafter264

Vampire has long lines because it runs on 2 trains and therefore has a low capacity
Liam.W

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Vampire has long lines because it runs on 2 trains and therefore has a low capacity
It also has long lines because a lot of people like it!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

ThemeCrafter264

Or because there aren't any major coasters except dragon's fury
Owen

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Vampire has long lines because it runs on 2 trains and therefore has a low capacity
I didn't mention anything about queues ;)

Vampire is still a lot of people's favourite ride at Chessington, although you may not agree that is how the cookie crumbles! Not to mention it spans a huge age range with it being a 1.1M ride whilst remaining to be exciting!
Ladyofthelake

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:Or because there aren't any major coasters except dragon's fury
There are a range of things which can impact on queue times across Chessington. Even though Vampire has been running on 2 trains for a lot of the season it is still a popular ride which people want to experience. For many children it is their first coaster and there are many adults who have fond memories of it being their first coaster too. Transylvania has always been a popular area of the park with Bubbleworks attracting significant queues right up until it closed.

Bringing the conversation back to The Gruffalo Ride, although it will be sad to see the Transylvania name go, Wild Woods is a name which will bring the two attractions in the area together. There will undoubtedly be significant interest in The Gruffalo ride, and therefore long queues, it is inevitable that this will translate into queues for Vampire as well.
Dom

Chessington have today been teasing their February half term event, but they also linked to the website with all the information on it.

Its called Animal Adventures and not only with the zoo and the SEALIFE be open, 7 rides and attractions will also be open. Hocus Pocus Hall, Sea Dragons, Seastorm, Dragon's Playhouse, Tiny Truckers, Canopy Capers and Amazu will all be open for guests to enjoy,

The February half term event starts 11th Feb and will end on the 19th Feb.
Burniel

That's really nice to see. The ride lineup is mediocre, but given that many of the more significant attractions which have been at previous events are no longer with us (Bubbleworks and Safari Skyway), it's not too bad. I didn't go to their February event last year because there weren't any rides, but I might pop in for a morning this year.

Interesting also to see that rides as far back in the park as Sea Dragons and Canopy Capers and Dragon's Playhouse will be open - if they're willing to open the park this far back, it might be nice to see Scorpion Express in the FHT lineup some day. I can see Seastorm getting a big queue, being the only "family adventurers" ride open.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Morgan

Chessington's opening times state that both the 11th and 12th March are Annual Pass Preview days, about a week before the park opens publicly.